All reviewscheese factoryhorseback ridingworking farmat homeorganic gardenother gueststrout farmvery special placewonderful experiencetwo nightscondor reservehot water bottlesgreat foodevery mealdining roomtop notchfamily members
Reviewed 12 May 2018

Although not staying in he Hacienda, my family spent the better part of a day there. The staff are extremely accommodating and service oriented. The property itself is spectacularly beautiful and wonderfully restored. This was a place where I was able to learn a tremendous amount about the history of Ecuador. It was a terrific day roaming the grounds and the massive hacienda. I will definitely return to stay overnight so I can spend time in one of the many sitting areas and nearby fireplaces. We enjoyed a fabulous lunch in the restaurant. I cannot recommend this property enough to folks interested in Ecuadorian history, architecture, the Andes, fantastic gardens, great cuisine. Visit the Condor Huasi on property and the cheese factory... enjoy the cheese produced at the hacienda at lunch.... excellent!

Stayed: April 2018
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2018

Hola Lynn,

Thank you SO much for your review, will love for you, and your family, to come back and stay at Hacienda Zuleta... I know you will love even more our little piece of Ecuadorian paradise....

Please do tell your friends family about our little country and Zuleta. And thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 12 May 2018

We had lunch there as part of a larger group tour. I loved this place so much, that I recommended to the tour operator that they have guests, especially ones on photo tours, stay at Hacienda Zuleta instead of place we stayed! You can walk up to where the condors are rescued and along the way, see old burial mounds, horses, birds, etc. The lunch we had there featured their famous quinoa soup and cheeses - and it was amazing! In fact, I don't even think I ate much of the rest of my meal because the soup and cheese was so great! I excused myself to take photos of the hummingbirds while others finished lunch! I would love to stay there -- it was a lovely hacienda and grounds!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

Dear SkippingWork (had to do it!! I loved your TA name)....

Thank you SO much for your review , we are so happy you loved our place, and specially for recommending your agency about Hacienda Zuleta. We will love to have you back here, so you experience Zuleta overnight ..... so if you ever ate back in Ecuador don't hesitate to contact me and ask for a friends of Zuleta discount ! Write to me at fernando@haciendazuleta.com
And don't forget to recommend Ecuador and Hacienda Zuleta to your friends and family!

Thank you again from ALL of us!

Fernando

Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 3 nights and 4 days at this historic family run Hacienda on our way from Quito to Galápagos Islands on the recommendation of our tour company, Knowmad Travel. Our stay exceeded our expectations on all levels. We don’t recommend staying shorter than that. The road from Quito is new and modern. We felt very safe with our driver. We were welcomed by our host, Amable (a 4th generation employee) who personally seemed to anticipate and happily arrange for all needs and activities. All of the staff worked well together and the rare occasion when he was not “immediately “ available we were warmly helped by his colleagues. They are very flexible in arranging activities. On 2 occasions I was asked to join “new friends “ in their group to go horseback riding requiring a change in my schedule and the staff seemed happy to oblige. My husband is not a horseman but enjoyed the hikes and we met up for the Condor Center presentation by the resident biologist - not to be missed. The horses are well trained and suitable for all levels of riders. Saddles are comfy. Rain boot are provided and necessary during rainy season.
Vases of fresh roses are in every room along with crackling fireplaces. Self service coffee, tea and alcoholic beverages(honor system for alcohol)are available seemingly at all times. WiFi is excellent at no additional charge. Soaking tubs in the room were appreciated at the end of the day as was the nightly hot water bottles in our beds. Plan to gain weight as the food is plentiful and delicious. You have the option at each meal to dine with others or privately.
I highly recommend taking the cooking class, viewing the cheese making and making new friends. It always feels like home here!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Lynn ,

Thank you from ALL of us for your through review of Hacienda Zuleta , even mentioning the little details that mark the difference, and make this a place where you can feel " at home" ... even if it sounds like a cliche! That's precisely what we promised my family this place will be, that is how we convinced does who where so keen on opening our home to guests!

I hope guest follow your advice of staying longer , but if you can't come and we will do our best your experience highland Ecuador to the fullest!

Thank you again Lynn! We ALL send you the best energies from Hacienda Zuleta

Fernando , Margarita and ALL the Staff!

Reviewed 8 May 2018

The Hacienda Zuleta is a bit of a special place and what ever I write about it will not actually do it full justice but I will try.
An old Hacienda built in the Spanish style, once belonging ot the President of Ecuador.
Still has its original style and charm, period furniture and rooms.
modernized with taste (Wifi available) Great food with more than a nod to local custom and tastes. The grounds host a dairy farm and a cheese factory plus Satbles for your enjoyment and some very enchanting gardens and a vegetable patch you would die for.
The location is somewhat idyllic and there are plenty of activities the staff will organize you in if you want. Or just hang around the house and enjoy the ambiance.
It is a very special place and I doubt that you will be disappointed with one of more nights here.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Fernando P, Owner at Hacienda Zuleta, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Dear guest,

You nail it! For us putting in your review your experience and your understanding of Hacienda ZUleta is just what we want and expect ... for every guests there is a different Zuleta , but the essence is what you have described !

Thank you and please don't forget to spread the word about this beautiful country and this little piece of it !

Gracias to you !!

From ALL of us!

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Went here a few days ago for one night after our Galapagos trip. A little bit less than a 2 hr drive from Quito airport with nice volcano views along the way. We were a little tired coming off of our cruise and were wondering in the back of our minds if would be worth it.

Well once you arrive, you will immediately realize that this is a special and beautiful place! Our deluxe room number 11 was spectacular. The staff is unbelievably helpful, cheerful and friendly. You are greated by a private host who helps you plan your activities and the whole thing is very laid back. The grounds are beautiful with gardens, and beautiful mountain and valley views. The food was excellent and served family style. We rode horses to the Osprey Center and the horses were great. We also did the Rabbit Trail hike which was a 3.3mile moderately strenuous climb but well worth it and we were accompanied by the house dog Carlos the whole time who seemed to be looking out for us.

Room Tip: Room 11 was a beautiful Deluxe room wtih gorgeos bath
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Hola dear Guests,

I personally, love it! when our guests " get it" of what Hacienda Zuleta is all about ... your sentence : " This Hacienda is beautiful with tons to do but also very relaxed. It is more like you are a guest of someone's home than a hotel and you will likely wish you could spend more time there for sure. " is precisely what I am referring to. Thank you for "getting" ZUleta!!

Please spread the word to all your friends and family who you think will get it!!

Gracias y hasta pronto!

Fernando , Margarita and ALL the staff and of course the dogs , with Carlos specially!