All reviewscheese factoryhorseback ridingworking farmat homeorganic gardenother gueststrout farmvery special placewonderful experiencetwo nightscondor reservehot water bottlesgreat foodevery mealdining roomtop notchfamily members
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My husband and I adored this place. It was fabulous. The food was amazing, we both gained so much weight -- totally worth it though. We met other very interesting travelers there. But it wasn't even full which was nice, you really felt as thought you had the whole place to yourself. Gorgeous scenery, beautiful walks, horseback-riding (if you want). I would go back in a heartbeat. One of my favorite places ever.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Pure luxury isn't defined by the number of designer items in your room but rather by the sense of being acoomodated - and in this sense Zuleta is an unique place!

Staying at Zuleta is like discovering another world: staying in a house bursting with tradition, experiencing a lifestyle that is long gone and feeling truely at home. And the best of it: you have the impression that all the staff working there (mostly indigenous from the nearby community) are not just staff but belong to the place and have a sense of ownership.

Upon arrival you're received with great hospitality and throughout your stay, there is somebody to take care of you - without ever beeing visible. So you have the impression of living in complete privacy. Whether you need a ride in a coach, have a horse prepared for you or wanting to visit the farm: everything is arranged within no time and in perfect quality.

Food is served in different dining rooms to small groups. Again, you feel like having dinner at home. And the quality of the food is outstanding! Not that they try to serve you some fancy cuisine, what you get is rather traditional but of excellent quality. Refined and very fresh (from the own gardens and trout farm). A good example is breakfast where everything is prepared freshly and instead of a huge buffet you are served what you really want to have.

Returning to your beautiful room after dinner, someone will have lit the fire-place and put a hot-water bottle in your bed - just amazing!

We went horseback riding and did a journey in a coach to the Condor project. The guide was excellent and we got to see condors and bears. Nature at it's best!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Pascal P
Reviewed 31 May 2011

A wonderful journey back to a more gracious style of living, felt that I was treated as an honoured house guest rather than a paying customer, horses, countryside, staff and condors made the whole experience unforgettable. My only regret was that I had to leave! Could have stayed forever.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank saraleet
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Zuleta is a gorgeous and relaxing place. All the reviews say it's a home from home but how many times have we heard that before right? However this time it's true. You can relax in one of the assorted living areas with log fires, read their books, look at their photos... Then ring for coffee whenever you want, or maybe help yourself to a drink from the honesty bar.

The staff can't do enough for you. I loved the fact that each morning someone would ask what we wanted to do that day, and arrange it for us. Simple as that. The horse riding is excellent. The locals are so friendly and don't even get me started on the gorgeous soppy dogs!

Downsides: not all the staff speak English. Not that I expect them to, but it's good to be aware! It's fairly cold. Mind you, the log fire and hot water bottles in our room were adorable. There's nothing to do at night except chill out, read or watch a DVD. Again - that's part of the charm.

We only had 2 nights there and by the time we left I was completely caught up in the Zuleta way of life. It's not really like a hotel - it's much more intimate and friendly than that. Beautiful, relaxing, and heart-warming.

If you do go, take insect repellent, clothes you don't mind getting dirty and sun tan lotion (the sun doesn't come out often but boy it's strong when it does!)

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank vicksg
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Hacienda Zuleta is situated in a deep valley a little over 2 hours north of Quito. The surroundings are beautiful and the hacienda feels like a real home. There are about 15-20 rooms, each very different from the next. Every room has a wood burning fireplace, and the common areas also have lovely fireplaces. These are the only source of heating for the hacienda and are almost always lit, so it's always cosy. There are various activities to do but the main attraction is the horseback riding. The horses are well cared for and an excellent ride. Whilst you are out during the day, the staff will light the fire in your room so that it's nice and toasty when you get back. The staff are all amazing and do everything they can to please you. Most don't speak English very well, so speaking a little Spanish does help to avoid miscommunicating. The food is great, but don't expect gourmet. This is simple traditional cooking using amazing produce grown on the property. The ingredients speak for themselves, and don't need to be over seasoned and over sauced, so in my view it was delicious. I can't speak for the meat as we are vegetarian. They had no problems in catering to our needs. I also have to mention Fito and Dominga, the resident dogs. They are the loveliest dogs and we miss them dearly. They followed us on a 4 hour hike into the valley past the condor rehabilitation center and It felt like they had been our dogs for years! The one negative point I have has nothing to do with the hacienda. The weather this year has been very strange, due to La Nina, and it rained a lot more than it normally does. But we did get a couple sunny days, and by the time you go the weather may be back to normal.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple