“The Bear Facts”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowbridge
Hampshire
“The Bear Facts”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Warm friendly service from hard working and attentive staff. Breakfast could not be bettered IMHO. My room was nicely decorated, clean and functional with all the facilities one would expect from a hotel in this price range. The Bear boasts some very attractive and interesting architectural features, especially the vaulted ceiling of the restaurant. The front bar is a very comfortable place to sit and read morning papers and serves coffee etc during the morning.The wedding venue is large, airy and has a very pretty patio garden area. The wedding service is exceptional. On the subject of weddings - this is a busy wedding venue with the rear court yard area of the hotel catering for wedding receptions - that does bring a noise element so if you are not involved in a wedding I would suggest that you request a room at the front of the hotel. That said, I stayed in the annex next to the function room and wasn't bothered by any noise that wasn't tolerable. The parking to the rear of the hotel is very handy with a barrier system and exit code set-up. Wifi access code is given on registration. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again - I had a very enjoyable weekend, Thank you all (staff) very much!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are quieter during weddings.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Town_Country_Hotels, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay.

It is always a pleasure to hear from our customers and your comments will be passed onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you agin when you're next in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Went here for a wedding on Friday just gone. The wedding was great, and a nice place for it. BUt I'm reviewing the hotel here and my stay in it, regardless of the wedding.

Not worth £80 for the night for a start. For £80 per night I would have at least expected some biscuits in a packet to have with my morning tea.

The rest... room is a bit old fashioned, this may be in-keeping with Cowbridge itself etc but I think it's more likely just an excuse not to update the place. I was woken at 8 o'clock by the sound of the pipes, with other people staying having showers! I'm not a light sleeper! It sounded like a strange ghostly noise. So then I went for a shower myself, would have been nice if could get the shower to a setting that remained even slightly the same temperature! Didn't happen! Nice and warm one minute, the next, freezing!

So then we go down to the buffet (or lack of) breakfast! Honest to god, absolutely shocking, the worse buffet breakfast I have ever experienced! No bacon, no beans and no eggs to start with. It took 20 minutes for more bacon to come out, no eggs for even longer and when the beans came it was about half a tin, and there were at least 5 people wanting food! Other guests, our friends, had requested toast and tea and not received it, I requested some and got it straight away. It was a shambles! It was the busiest time of the morning as I saw two guests come in just after us and have a hassle free breakfast experience. But as far as i'm concerned it was appalling! Shouldn't take that long to keep the buffer topped up. I don't know what the cup of tea was in my teapot either, but it was so weak after plenty of time to brew that I didn't bother to drink it. So it worked out that my breakfast in sitting, first two hash browns, then some beans and bacon and a sausage and I didn't bother with the egg as by the time new ones came out I had nothing left on my plate! Shocking!

Will not be going back.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rodduz84
Thank you for your review, and I am sorry to learn that you were not completely happy with your stay.

Customer feedback is important to us and your comments will be actioned with the team.

We do hope you give us the opportunity to show this is not the normal standard of service evident at the hotel and hope you will visit us again.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We booked here for a Friday night. Short notice late Friday afternoon a group of ten. One of us was even a celiac. They catered for her excellently. Service was prompt, food good. We drank our fair share of wine etc. Some people had 3 courses and some only 2 but with several bottles of wine, beer and coffees all round. The bill still only came to £25.00 a head including tip.
Highly recomended for dining.
If the hotel rooms are as clean as the bar and restaurant area. We' re on a winner here.
Thanks from a noisey and mostly elderly bunch.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Town_Country_Hotels, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your meal with us last Friday and your recommendation.

I'll make sure the team see your commenst, thanks.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We've called into the Bear Hotel many times over the years, but had never stayed there until last weekend when we attended a local wedding.
It's a fine old building in a very pleasant little town. The Bear is full of character, and bigger than you may think when passing. There are 30+ rooms in the rabbit warren of the main building and annexes.
Our top floor room was adequately sized, overlooking the High Street. Nice bed, reasonable decor and a very clean bathroom.
There is a very large courtyard to the rear, with plenty of tables and chairs. It's a nice place to sit with a morning coffee or evening beer - when the weathers allows.
Mainly self-service breakfast was fine and staff were very pleasant.
All in all, a good stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the main street - which can be busy some evenings. You may wish to choose an alt...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cardiff2
Thanks very much for your review and your positive comments. We're so glad t ohear you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Birmingham
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I have stayed here many times with work and its a good all round hotel. The staff are friendly and the rooms good.

The hotel has two main sleeping areas, the main hotel and the annex. The annex is an U shape that runs around the back of the hotel. The rooms in the main hotel are more rustic (wooden beams, creaky floorboards etc) with a modern feel to them, my choice if available. The Annex rooms are of a more modern build, no beams etc and bigger from what I have seen.

Breakfast has always hit the mark and as they start serving from 7am you can get in and on the road nice and early.

Wifi is available but its coverage is pretty poor in the rooms.

Parking isn't a problem as there is a large car park to the rear of the hotel.

All in all a good hotel in a good location.

Room Tip: Room 44 is in the Annex and is a four poster. Rooms 42 & 43 are above the kitchen so can suffer...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HDimages
Town_Country_Hotels, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We're always pleased to hear from regular visitors and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowbridge
8.4 km away
13.1 km away
Court Colman Manor
Court Colman Manor
#4 of 9 in Bridgend

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!