All reviews nice hotel free parking steep hill family room the hotel staff magnificent view front desk staff breakfast room superior room convenient location great pool tuscan countryside yogurt swimming pool within easy walking distance rental car valley
Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights while visiting Montalcino. You may consider this hotel just for view- it was breathtaking. However, if you value quiet and a comfortable bed you might want to look elsewhere.

Pros: great location, clean, good breakfast and free wifi. The service was also very good.

Cons: the bed was uncomfortable-I could feel the springs. The walls are also very thin. Someone in the next room had a cough that kept us up. You can also hear muffled conversation late into the night.

Overall, if you want the view, stay here. If you'd like quiet and comfort, look elsewhere.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2016

We chose this hotel because they have free parking near the hotel and it is very close to the city center, you can walk everywhere. Room was clean and people very friendly. Breakfast is fine. They have a nice pool overlooking the plain but the water was very cold when we went.

Date of stay: August 2016
Reviewed 11 August 2016

This was our third visit to the hotel. It keeps getting better and better. Not sophisticated nor luxurious, but who needs those when you are in glorious Montalcino and the whole of the Val d'Orcia extends below your bedroom windows? Staff are friendly and helpful, breakfasts are plentiful and sensibly-timed, accommodation is fine. There are no downsides to this hotel... There are hills to be climbed, for sure, but this is a hill town! (My only request would be for an ironing board. The hotel was happy for me to use its steam iron, but I had to try to iron my shirts across a large table designed for ironing sheets. This I consider to be a very, very minor inconvenience). Thanks for another great stay. We will certainly be back next year.

Room tip: Have to choose a room with a view!
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2016

We chose this hotel because of it’s proximity to town center and it’s overall price to return ratio. We were greeted by Martina who was all smiles and very friendly and helpful. She gave us a quick tour of everything and ushered us to our rooms. Design of the hotel is rustic, tuscan, artistic…if that makes any sense.

We booked the top floor room because of it’s more than impressive views and wow, we were not disappointed. Had a large bedroom, large bathroom and a small living room area and a lean out balcony. The top floor balcony does not allow you to sit outside, but rather rest out and look at the views. If you want to sit and look out, you can still pull a chair up since the window looking outside is huge. The room we were in was pretty quiet, not too much noise at all. The only noise I noticed was in the morning when other patrons were having breakfast outside, but nothing that really bothered our sleep. I’ll break the rest down by points.

PROS:
• Top floor right corner room was HUGE.
• Clean rooms.
• Mini fridge with beverages.
• Rooms are not modern and not old. Rustic/classic feel. All furniture, bed linens, towels and bathroom are in great condition.
• Full breakfast.
• Large clean pool overlooking the countryside. Amazing views.
• Large outdoor sitting area overlooking the beautiful views with plenty of outdoor chaise lounge chairs.
• Helpful staff.
• Parking on site (small lot however)
• Elevator.

CONS:

• Hotel is situated in town, but on the slight downside of the hilltop town. If you are older and have trouble walking, then this hotel might not be good for you. Walking up into the main street is steep, and will leave you out of breath even if you are in shape. The good news is the distance is short, but please take this into consideration if you have bad knees, trouble walking etc. I was with my in laws (in late 60’s) and they were not happy with having to go up and down this large hill. I didn’t have a problem since I’m younger, but it’s something to take into consideration.

• Parking is on site, but if you do not get there early enough you will need to park your car in the public lot. Please note the public lot is not very close to the hotel, about a 4-5 minute walk up hill all the way. Will leave you a little winded. Please note this is up a very large hill and a pain to do everyday if you’re driving.

• Does not have a laundry service on site, hotel recommended a laundry service that you have to take your clothes to in town, however the laundry company will drop it back off at hotel when complete. So, you save at least 1 trip.

• No Iron on site. Laundry company in town can iron all clothes if needed and then drop them back off to you.

• No food on site besides breakfast. We went into town bought some food for lunch and brought it back to the hotel. Problem solved.

• I’ve read reviews about bugs in the hotel. Please note our room was very clean, but please also understand you’re in the countryside where there are a lot of natural bugs. Bees, ants, etc.
With it being nice out most of the hotel windows are open during the day including the front and backdoor which could let in these little critters. However, there were no bugs in my bed or no infestations of any kind.

• Every room does not have a view. Book early and request a room with a view.

Overall, this a great hotel and I would stay here again if I came to visit. The view is incredible and to me that trumps everything. The only bad thing is the lack of parking and steep hill to walk up constantly. If you can deal with those 2 minor details, then this a great hotel. It is not a luxury hotel by any means, so if you want to be pampered this is not the place for you. Besides you’re in Montalcino the only time spent in your room should be when you’re ready to sleep.

Date of stay: July 2016
2  Thank MattyMatteo
Reviewed 9 July 2016

Easy parking next to the hotel. Friendly staff. Great, clean room with fridge that can be used to chill all your water bottles. Good position with an easy walk to the restaurants and the centre of Montalcino though every walk starts with a steep 25 metres uphill. (Montalcino is on many levels) The small pool was nice but cool even with daytime temps > 30° as it only got the morning sun.

Breakfast was just above average in terms of food. When the waitress said they could not do decaff latte, I ordered decaff espresso and warm milk to produce the same result! The best feature was the view from the room - just fabulous.

Room tip: Room with view over the Tuscan plain - above pool or breakfast area.
Date of stay: July 2016