“A warm family run restaurant offers great Tuscan food with gracious service”
Review of Il Moro

Il Moro
Ranked #4 of 78 Restaurants in Montalcino
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Try to get a table out on the tiny balcony overlooking Montalcino wall, the views are lovely.
This is a multi generation family run restaurant that offers warm gracious service by Alessandro and family. The Tuscan traditional food is excellent, the pici in particular is perfect. Wine tasting offers great value with generous portions of food. Enjoyed very much, we came back and will continue to do so.

3  Thank Loreen K
RistoranteilMor... M, Direttore at Il Moro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

:D Hi, thanks for this beautiful review i hope see again in Montalcino, a big hug by the staff and me .. :)

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We chose this place because we wanted to sit outside overlooking the countryside for our last night in Montalcino. Everything on the menu is reasonably priced and we ordered wine, beer, first and second courses. While we were waiting for our first course, the owner came out with a plate of salami and prosciutto, local pecorino cheese, and a bowl of spicy pasta to go with my husband's beer. Then came our actual primi piatti of spaghetti with oil and garlic and pappardelle with wild boar sauce. Both were prepared perfectly. Then our second courses. I had the veal with rucola salad -- prepared rare, very tender, with fresh lemon and greens -- exquisite. My husband had a local sausage that was perfectly grilled and very tasty. As we were finishing, the owner came by with a bottle of 2012 Brunello (a very good vintage in Montalcino) for us to try. We ordered two espressos -- and the owner came with a plate of mixed desserts, including biscotti and vin santo, and a homemade cake. AND a bottle of local grappa. We were amazed. Everything was soooo good, the owner was delightful, and the final bill was under 50 Euro. Please find Il Moro and enjoy! They are at the end of the main drag. If it's a nice night, ask to sit on the terrace. You will not be disappointed. I wish we had another night in Montalcino -- we'd visit Il Moro again!

2  Thank bethinvermont
RistoranteilMor... M, Direttore at Il Moro, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Thank you for this great review, I am very happy that you have chosen this old place, it often happens that some companies present their wines here and there is always something matched with the glass or the bottle, I am very happy that everything went well, I hope that you will come back again in Montalcino

Greetings from all the staff

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Not only was the food excellent but service from the owner was over the top. It is traditional Tuscan fare. Ragu, game, lamb, steak and yes, truffles! We engaged the owner in a nice conversation and out of the blue, he brought extra dishes to our table of tasty appetizers. It was like dining at my grandma and grandpa's for Sunday dinner....the food just kept coming. He also provided good guidance for small producer Brunellos.

Ask for the back room or terrace. The view is breath taking. The food was excellent and cooked with love (his wife is the chef) but just the whole ambiance made this a great choice for our last night in Montalcino. BTW.....many locals eat here.

Motto grazie to the owners for making our stay a memorable experience.

2  Thank RALJAL75

We are really happy that it was a good experience, Montalcino is a fantastic territory for the products, I hope you will return one day to try other wineries and menus

A big hello from all the staff, see you soon

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

We had our first meal in montalcino here on a Saturday night. The food was good quality but there were only four tables occupied and the restaurant was silent and lacked atmosphere. Didn’t return.

1  Thank Stamford116

Im sorry,but sometime happen a quiet evening

a greeting from Montalcino

Reviewed 20 June 2018

I am traveling with my brother Iggy on our annual pilgrimage to Italy. We usually stay in the countryside, but based on TripAdvisor reviews decided to stay in the old town of Montalcino, in our minds, the Mecca of Tuscan wines. Late in the afternoon, we checked into the cozy B&B da Idolina, where the lovely owner, Fulvia, gave us three recommendations for our first night’s dinner. She said one of them, Il Moro, was right down the street, had great local food and wine, and was the type of family owned place we love. And was she right! From our server and host, Alessandro to the head chef (Mama Marzia), to the adorable little children playing in the entryway, it is a true family slow-food restaurant of the type you can find and cherish in Italy. The food was superb, and the local Brunello and Vino di Rosso Montalcino wines were out of this world. I’m sure that there are other fine restaurants in this charming town but our first meal was so nice that we ate 3 more meals (1 lunch & 2 dinners) there. Given the outstanding reputation of the local wines, we were expecting the town and the restaurants to be very touristy. This was certainly not the case with Il Moro and the B&B da Idolina. The fact that they were located right in the old town speaks volumes for the charm and appeal of Montalcino. We will absolutely be back in the coming years.

2  Thank Steve C
RistoranteilMor... M, Direttore at Il Moro, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

hay .. hello, how nice to hear from you, thank you for giving us this beautiful review, I hope we will be there next year, I send you a big hello from all the staff (my family)
:) See you soon