“Awful do not stay here if you want to relax”

Area Blue Beach Hotel
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Ialyssos
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Booked November 2016 for 10 nights in June to take in my birthday and Father's Day as I lost dad a few years ago. Paid extra for seaview and was so looking forward to relaxing holiday. Arrived at 830pm and was walked by the barman to a room facing the pool. I was on guard after reading the review from April this year from someone who had paid for seaview and not got it. I said straight away we have paid for seaview and was told to go to reception with my booking confirmation the next day as he was only the barman
The room was number 17 and faced the pool bar open all day until 2am and next to reception where everyone had to pass to get in and out of there
Never slept for more than 2 hours for first 5 nights
Upon returning to reception twice the next day I was told they had to speak to manager about changing my room and I was told they were fully booked. I advised that I booked last November and that I had watched several people arriving after me being checked in to the twin seaview block as shown in photos being the block overlooking grass and beach which are the seaview ones. I was immediately told that the block was apartments and not a studio which I had booked. People need to be aware that studios only have a very distant view of the sea if you can get past the pool view noise and lack of privacy so they are being missold

If I had had enough spare cash to go after night 5 to another apartment I would have done. Instead I paid for aircon to drown out the noise and get a good nights sleep

Had to go off site due to noisy local teenagers every day deliberately splashing and dive bombing in pool splashing holidaymakers until they left and taking up half of beds in grassed area and chasing each other running around people on holiday

I overheard a barman one evening when asked about the teenagers and if they paid said no as we are open all year round we want to become popular

Cleaning as per the attached photos

Buzzer in room to order free room service as per attached. When I buzzed one afternoon as it was too intimidating going down to order due to amount of teenagers taking over the place the barman told me he had full hotel to service and I should have gone down to order and was rude until he spotted my birthday cards

do not stay here they don't care about holiday makers and I'm disappointed we all work so hard each year for our holidays and to have it ruined it's disgraceful

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank tots101

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I'm not usually the type to leave a negative review but after the experience I had at this hotel I felt I needed to let people know what it's really like here.

I'll start off with the good bits....

- Staff are really lovely and helpful, they go out of their way to help.
- View from the rooms with the sea views and pool area are brilliant.
- Good selection of food & drinks at the pool bar
- Close to supermarket, bars & restaurants with bus routes into Rhodes Town.

Now the bad....

- The pool, as amazing as it looks on the pictures the pool rules are a totally different story. The pool and bar is open to the public & the local teenagers take full advantage of this. We tried to have a relaxing day at the pool, this was soon ruined by no less that 21 kids/teenagers splashing into the pool, screaming at each other and generally being out of hand. After 3 hours we decided we had enough and left the pool as many other guests did as it was so intimidating. Since found out that the hotel manager allows this and the kids are never approached about their behaviour by the staff.
- First noticed that when we arrived and put our key in the door that the door does not shut properly and that there were all gaps around the frame, this didn't feel safe or secure.
- Bathroom was awful. Cracks in the tiles, bath was filthy, bathroom mirror cracked all around, tiles broken and grid in the floor with a half snapped cover.
- Exposed plumbing in kitchen area & very dirty.
- Floors never cleaned
- Dusty all around
- Exposed wires hanging out of the ceiling
- Air conditioning not the best, stand up fan would have been better
- Beds rock hard with lumpy pillows, if you request a double you are guaranteed 2 wooden frames that don't push together & matresses were stained.
- Walls very thin.
- One day we didn't have any electricity, the cleaner tried to help by sticking a door key straight into the fuse box (you decide if that's health and safety).
- Don't be attracted by the free Wi-fi...its doesn't work, even a member of the staff commented that people always complain about this and in his words "it's not worked for years".

Rhodes is an absolutely gorgeous place, but please if you want to spend more time at your hotel relaxi etc I'd do your research.

We tried lots of bars and restaurants in the area, cannot fault a single meal or drink we had there.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a sea view as some rooms are below sea level.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

Location good and this is why I chose to stay here, but the rooms were very dirty. Even the cleaners came in daily all they did was make your bed without changing any sheets for the whole week I was there. And they left clean towels daily too. The bottom of my bed collapsed on the 1st night.
The breakfast was so simple that after the first morning I never bothered with it.
Would not recommend to anyone and would certainly not stay there again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2017

Basic but clean, great location, lovely pool and sunbeds. Continental breakfast, but cooking facilities and fridge in room.we only stayed for one night, but would have been happy to stay longer ideal for couples and families.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms
Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

Don't often get it wrong but managed this time. This should be a great hotel but it isn't.

Pool looks great in the pictures .... when it's empty. There are no pool rules or attendant so everyone constantly dives in splashing the surrounding sunbeds and making lots of noise. Then loads of local teenagers, who are not resident, arrive at the hotel pool. They constantly scream and splash until the residents are intimidated to leave and they take over. In fact the hotel grounds seem to be open to the public. Asked the staff about it but they say the manager lets them come in. When they leave late afternoon it's all peaceful as it should be.

The beds are dreadfull. Cheap mattresses on cheap metal framed beds which squeak anytime you roll over or move so don't expect much sleep.

The staff are nice but if you are looking for a civilised relaxing hotel look elsewhere. They should make it clear the hotel is open to the public and they do not control how many people they let in.

If the management read this ... you need to control the pool better for the comfort and safety of guests.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ialyssos
11.9 km away
1.7 km away
Electra Palace Rhodes
Electra Palace Rhodes
#2 of 32 in Ialyssos

Been to Area Blue Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!