“Superb and even more”

Ranked #13 of 140 Restaurants in Platanias
Price range: USD 12 - USD 20
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At the Olive tree restaurant you can enjoy the Cretan and Mediterean food! We use and promote local, quality products in combination with the revival of traditional flavours and new gastronomic proposals from 12:00 pm to 00:00 at midnight.
Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

Our first day in Platanias we accidently came by this beautiful place. What a view! We tried chicken souvlaki, stuffed fennel with feta bechamel and traditional dry-oil resoaked bread with feta on top. What can I say - I have never eaten that good! I'm nota big meat lover, so souvlaki was not my dish, but this fennel thing.... Mmmmm... So mild, so fresh and crispy, the delicate fragrance of fennel enhanced by souce and pastry, everything so naturak and simple in this fantastic dish. The same about bread with feta on top - soaked in olive oil is not diet meal, but other than that - a real unique treat for those, who love to try something local. Feta cheesse on topwas not too salty, very creamy - nothing like we buy in supermarkets.
The staff was very nice. Our waiter was a humouristic guy, who was engaged in hia work and you could tell - he was proud of this place. And I think, he was a bit happy that we tried some local dishes, not burgers, which the place also makes..
And even the price was not too scary - 2 beers and absolutely happy full bellies cost aprox 30 euros.
Thank you for great start of our vaccation in Xania region!

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

We had been to the olive tree a few times before but on this accession we went into the restaurant we were asked to wait In the bar area for a table .we sat and waited for a table eventually we were shown to a table and given a menu to look at we ordered starters and they came we had ordered our main course and we sat there 45 minutes and no main course arrived people around us were having food brought to them but us nothing I asked a few times if the food was coming and was told yes of course when the main course arrived we had been I the restaurant nearly 2hrs and after all that one of the meals was stone cold we paid our bill and I spoke to the head waiter and told him of our poor service he offered us free drinks but we had been in there over 2hrs now so declined the drinks and said I'd be submitting a report on TripAdvisor

Reviewed 5 July 2016

There is not a lot to say then this place was simply amazing. The food is good, the staff is amazing. If you are ever in Platanias, you have to try this at least once.

Reviewed 3 July 2016

The restaurant is located on the beach and has a really lovely view. The service is good. The food is sadly distinctly average, I tried the mixed grill and the meat was grilled dry. There is nothing wrong with the food, but it's just not quite up to the standards you expect when you go to a restaurant with a grade of 4,5 stars in Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

Well our 3rd time to Crete & we decided to visit our favourite restaurant the olive tree positioned between agia marina & platanias on the beach . Fabulous food very friendly , lovely looking waiters who remembered us from 2yrs ago ! I had an amazing souvlaki (delicious chicken skewer ) & Vaughan had gemista (stuffed pepper & tomato) house wine lovely & finished our first litre to be brought a complementary half litre by our lovely waiter .
Highly recommend food , experience & friendly service .