All reviewssushi nightnachospura vidacosta ricalight sleepercool guysgreat accommodationtropical birdsplace to staythe main roadmosquito netyoga studiocommunal kitchenenjoyed my stayno hot waterminute walk to the beachprivate bathroom
Reviewed 1 February 2011

The funky monkey is a quaint hotel with a lot of personality. It's super close to the beach and shops/restaurants and yet feels like its really secluded and private. Nahuel gave us tips on best places in town and booked a great surf lesson for us! Gabi, (the owner) sat down several times just to talk and get to know us. Everyone in my group felt like we were welcomed with open arms and wished we could have stayed longer. this is hands down, the best place to stay in costa rica!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank charity_11
Reviewed 5 January 2011

The Funky Monkey was a very relaxing hostel/lodge to stay at. It's minutes from the beach and surrounded by local restaurants. They also have an in-house restaurant that serves some really impressive meals. Be aware that, although they ask for a credit card for reservations, the entire stay is cash only. At the end of the stay your entire food/drink/room fee is calculated and to be paid in cash.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Words can't describe how amazing our stay was at the Funky Monkey Lodge! Besides the beautiful scenery, the positive vibes, and the delicious food, the staff is what made it extra special. Nahuel took such good care of my friend and I, giving us tips, providing whatever we needed, and coming to the rescue when we got ourselves into some trouble. We got our car stuck in a huge ditch one night and the next day Nahuel left his busy life and work to help us. He gathered a bunch of people and after a few hours, they got the car out in perfect condition. It was amazing!!!! Guillermo is an amazing chef who makes delicious food (banana pancakes are yummy!) We enjoyed the company of our other friends we met there, as well, Martin (wonderful photographer) and Leandro who also went out of their way to spend time with us. The trip wouldn't have been the same without them. The people really made us feel like we were part of a family. The rooms are rustic and homey, in the middle of the beautiful jungle, and a short little walk to the beach and the surf breaks. Perfect location. Thank you, Nahuel, for going out of your way to make our trip extra special. We will be back soon!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2010

First I must say I did not stay here. But I did tour many of the rooms and the grounds, and wish I had!!! Nahuel is to be commended for his interface with people. And the chef Guillermo is fabulous. Nahuel is certainly a goodwill ambassador... anything you want booked he will take care of it. And the chef even made me dinner one night before the kitchen was even open because I was hungry :) I know people refer to this as a hostel, but indeed it feels more like home. The rooms are lovely and the pool is great, and the staff are great.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 December 2010

The staff was amazing and very helpful. In particular nahuel from argentina went out of his way to make our time great and surfed with us a few times and offered some pointers. The food from Rafa was amazing and what a great guy. After the food at casa zen .... this gave us faith that there are great restaurants. No dust like the hostels along the road and it catches a sea breeze the others dont. Only hostel with fullservice cook and bar.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple