All reviewssushi nightnachospura vidacosta ricalight sleepercool guysgreat accommodationtropical birdsplace to staythe main roadmosquito netyoga studiocommunal kitchenenjoyed my stayno hot waterminute walk to the beachprivate bathroom
Reviewed 14 June 2017

I stayed at The Funky Monkey Lodge in Santa Teresa as part of a surf & yoga package. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay! The lodge has a great eco-friendly, boho vibe & you can hear the animals in the jungle along with the ocean waves. The staff were all great & I was greeted with smiles from the get-go. I was pleasantly surprised with my room (4 bed dorm), the food was delicious, the yoga was relaxing & the atmosphere was just what I needed. Recommend to all!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

I stayed at Funky Monkey in their low season and had a great time. I purchased a package, which included yoga classes, surf lessons, breakfast, dinner, all on top of accommodation. The price was really good. I stayed in a dorm, which has 8 beds, but there were only two of us. In case you can't stand bugs and bites, the dorms don't have mosquito nets over the beds. The private bungalows do though. The bathroom is outside, with an open shower, but it didn't rain when I was there, so no issues.

Met a lot of other cool solo travellers that were staying at Funky Monkey. All were women, so I think this is a good spot for other female travellers.

The surf lessons were great. The teacher was really good and we got taken to different beaches, with fresh coconut and pineapple afterwards. I also got all the footage from surfing!

The location is super close to the beach, like a 5 minute walk. Also close to various restaurants and cute little shops.

I naturally woke up around 5AM every morning, as the sun was rising. There are also a ton of animals waking up at that time, including howler monkeys and roosters, so if you're a light sleeper, this may be a problem. I always felt like I got a good nights rest though, as you're already so tired from all the activities during the day.

My only other call out is the service of the staff. Many of those that work at Funky Monkey volunteer for a place to stay, so they are not aware of what you booked. As well, it seemed that one of the owners chastised some employees in front of us. Kind of unprofessional. The guys that worked there had their friends there a lot, which isn't that big of a deal, except when the people that are staying there are being neglected as a result. Also, everything at Funky Monkey is CASH ONLY.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Sherpa705989
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Enjoyed staying here with our 2 young kids (2 and 4). The cabin was small but clean, with a nice outdoor bathroom. Would have liked some hooks for our clothes. Each cabin has a private balcony with pretty garden and hammock, where we enjoyed reading, relaxing, and eating fresh fruit. The proximity to the restaurant is convenient and the food is great. The kids loved the pool and took advantage of the pool toys! We stayed during the rainy season, and they provided bug nets around the beds (needed!). It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach. It was our second time staying here. 10 years ago, we came pre-kids and enjoyed surfing. This time, we took the kids hiking at Cabo Blanco, Montezuma waterfall, and swam in the tide pools. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Private cabins are lovely with a fan, balcony with hammock, and outdoor bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2017

I have just returned from a solo trip to Santa Teresa, I stayed at the Funky Monkey. The room I stayed in had air conditioning and hot water. It also had an exceptional balcony that overlooked the rainforest treetops, giving a spectacular view of the ocean. You could sit out there and relax, watch the tropical birds bounce around from tree limb to tree limb as they sang and chirped away. It was so relaxing.

Each morning I'd head down to breakfast and where I met all the other people that were staying at the Funky Monkey. It was a great place to socialize, have some laughs, and discuss our daily adventures. I met people traveling from all over the world.

On the second day, I met the owners, Emilio and his wife Gaby. They could not be more friendly and warm. They made me feel very welcome at their lodge. Anything I needed they got it to me immediately. And they are really dedicated to being environmentally friendly.

The yoga pavilion is amazing. Outdoor yoga under this structure in the rainforest was something special.

The most unexpected surprise was meeting Joaquin. He cooks, plays the guitar, sings, and is probably one of the most interesting people I have ever encountered. The food he cooks...second to none! The guy has serious skills. Everything was insanely delicious. Then he does a sushi night...DO NOT MISS THIS!

The 8 days I spent at the Funky Monkey, I went in not knowing what to expect, I left with one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Pura Vida!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Pride G
Reviewed 21 May 2017

HIGH POINTS:
• cool, rustic bungalow feel, hang out in the bar, play guitar, drink, socialize with guests
• FANTASTIC FOOD! (Joaquin is a France Michelin star trained gourmet, the real deal.)
• GREAT SURF LESSONS! (Nacho is incredibly thorough, supportive, detailed and prepares amazing fresh fruit and chilled coconuts for post-lesson)
• great staff all around...everyone is there from other countries because they WANT to be, not just for a job, and it shows.
• Nice pool and daily yoga sessions on a breezy platform overlooking the camp
• All transport was arranged and taken care of

LOW POINTS:
• Noisy! Between a noisy construction site nearby, crowing roosters, constant noisy motorcycles and ATV's going up and down and music from the bar... it's rarely quiet.
• Bugs. they get in the bungalows and eat you alive. I got a mosquito net my third or fourth night, but really every bungalow needs one at all times— A small investment that would add charm and comfort.
• Dark. the bungalows could use a bit more lighting.
• No real amenities...not even a cheap bar of soap, no hot water, towels and such are all a bit worn.
• Cash only. And the only ATM in town is nowhere near the camp. You have to rent a vehicle or walk 30 minutes each way up a rough dirt road.

Basically...if you don't want a rustic jungle experience, stay in the apartment part of the camp, or somewhere else. It's a charming, friendly place, I had a marvelous time....and the people, food and surfing lessons made up for the shortcomings...but for the price, I was expecting a bit higher standard of accommodation. Probably a lot of places in Santa Teresa have similar shortfalls...it is VERY remote, and all things considered it feels a small miracle that there is running water, electricity and decent internet out in the jungle!

Room Tip: request mosquito net in bungalows, try to get the suite over the bar area or stay in apartment section
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo