“Private cabins, family friendly”
Review of Funky Monkey Lodge

Funky Monkey Lodge
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Enjoyed staying here with our 2 young kids (2 and 4). The cabin was small but clean, with a nice outdoor bathroom. Would have liked some hooks for our clothes. Each cabin has a private balcony with pretty garden and hammock, where we enjoyed reading, relaxing, and eating fresh fruit. The proximity to the restaurant is convenient and the food is great. The kids loved the pool and took advantage of the pool toys! We stayed during the rainy season, and they provided bug nets around the beds (needed!). It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach. It was our second time staying here. 10 years ago, we came pre-kids and enjoyed surfing. This time, we took the kids hiking at Cabo Blanco, Montezuma waterfall, and swam in the tide pools. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Private cabins are lovely with a fan, balcony with hammock, and outdoor bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 May 2017

I have just returned from a solo trip to Santa Teresa, I stayed at the Funky Monkey. The room I stayed in had air conditioning and hot water. It also had an exceptional balcony that overlooked the rainforest treetops, giving a spectacular view of the ocean. You could sit out there and relax, watch the tropical birds bounce around from tree limb to tree limb as they sang and chirped away. It was so relaxing.

Each morning I'd head down to breakfast and where I met all the other people that were staying at the Funky Monkey. It was a great place to socialize, have some laughs, and discuss our daily adventures. I met people traveling from all over the world.

On the second day, I met the owners, Emilio and his wife Gaby. They could not be more friendly and warm. They made me feel very welcome at their lodge. Anything I needed they got it to me immediately. And they are really dedicated to being environmentally friendly.

The yoga pavilion is amazing. Outdoor yoga under this structure in the rainforest was something special.

The most unexpected surprise was meeting Joaquin. He cooks, plays the guitar, sings, and is probably one of the most interesting people I have ever encountered. The food he cooks...second to none! The guy has serious skills. Everything was insanely delicious. Then he does a sushi night...DO NOT MISS THIS!

The 8 days I spent at the Funky Monkey, I went in not knowing what to expect, I left with one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Pura Vida!

1  Thank Pride G
Reviewed 21 May 2017

HIGH POINTS:
• cool, rustic bungalow feel, hang out in the bar, play guitar, drink, socialize with guests
• FANTASTIC FOOD! (Joaquin is a France Michelin star trained gourmet, the real deal.)
• GREAT SURF LESSONS! (Nacho is incredibly thorough, supportive, detailed and prepares amazing fresh fruit and chilled coconuts for post-lesson)
• great staff all around...everyone is there from other countries because they WANT to be, not just for a job, and it shows.
• Nice pool and daily yoga sessions on a breezy platform overlooking the camp
• All transport was arranged and taken care of

LOW POINTS:
• Noisy! Between a noisy construction site nearby, crowing roosters, constant noisy motorcycles and ATV's going up and down and music from the bar... it's rarely quiet.
• Bugs. they get in the bungalows and eat you alive. I got a mosquito net my third or fourth night, but really every bungalow needs one at all times— A small investment that would add charm and comfort.
• Dark. the bungalows could use a bit more lighting.
• No real amenities...not even a cheap bar of soap, no hot water, towels and such are all a bit worn.
• Cash only. And the only ATM in town is nowhere near the camp. You have to rent a vehicle or walk 30 minutes each way up a rough dirt road.

Basically...if you don't want a rustic jungle experience, stay in the apartment part of the camp, or somewhere else. It's a charming, friendly place, I had a marvelous time....and the people, food and surfing lessons made up for the shortcomings...but for the price, I was expecting a bit higher standard of accommodation. Probably a lot of places in Santa Teresa have similar shortfalls...it is VERY remote, and all things considered it feels a small miracle that there is running water, electricity and decent internet out in the jungle!

Room Tip: request mosquito net in bungalows, try to get the suite over the bar area or stay in apartment secti...
Reviewed 8 May 2017

Funky Monkey, amazing experience. I traveled solo and stayed in the large single room on the second floor above the main common area. King size bed, private bathroom and porch with hammock (which got lots of use) The FM is nestled into the hill away from the noise and dust of the main rd a few hundred yards away. Great location to beach access at Santa Teresa , grocery store, restaurants, bike rentals etc. You are quite literally on the edge of the jungle. Coming from the east coast of US EST, I settled easily into a schedule tied with nature. Birds start chirping and life begins to stir around 5:30am. Most human activity begins 6:30/7 , with the making of coffee, beginning of breakfast and low levels of music being played. Sleeping in for me wasn't to much of an option, very much ok since most nights I didn't make it past 10 pm. They have secluded bungalows, rooms that enjoy more privacy and AC. However notwithstanding the constant bug bites I enjoyed the rustic, budget friendly and more connected to the community location I was in. They have a nice little pool which I didn't use, the yoga studio is a nice venue higher up into the hills surrounded by trees. The overall space is endearing but what made the biggest impression on me was the people and community that has formed around the owners and staff. Gabi was very helpful in helping with booking, transport etc to Santa Teresa. Welcoming and always willing to help in getting me comfortable with the area from the moment I arrived. Joaquin and Nacho, cousins from Argentina, run the bar and kitchen. They embody the lifestyle of the Costa Rican saying "Pura Vida". Both cool guys who I enjoyed conversing with, gracious, attentive, mix great cocktails and provided an amazing culinary experience. I ate breakfast and dinner there most days. Did 4 surf lessons with Pura Vida Surfing and Nacho. Highly recommend (check their page for review). The rest of the staff I interacted with was mostly from Argentina, Sweden, mostly women and all super sweet. Very much interested in how my experience was, if I was enjoying my day and if they could help out in any way. Santa Teresa is without a doubt a place I will eventually return and when I do I'll be staying at the Funky Monkey.

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at the funky monkey lodge. It's a great sociable place to meet solo travellers if on your own. The food is lovely and breakfast is the best I've had on my trip. Don't miss sushi night (wed & sat). The yoga was very good and studio is very atmospheric. Particularly enjoyed Christof's classes. Gabi is very helpful if you want advice or trips booking. They actually double booked my room on the first night but compensated me with a free surf lesson which I was happy with.

The bungalows are pretty cool inside and have hammocks & an outdoor shower.
The bungalow rooms are a bit noisy as they are so close to the bar so be prepared for that but saying that the music stops fairly early so it's pretty chilled overall.

The surf lessons (although they're not private as it says online) were good with Nacho, Victor & the team. Although i think it would be good to have consistently the same instructor if possible to maximise the time in the class and get the most from them as per other destinations along the coast. The ATM is a bit of a trek and the bank is only open from 1pm so make sure you come with cash.

Overall I met some great people and had a fantastic week here. I would definitely come back here again and would highly recommend it for solo adventurers!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo