“Relaxing getaway!”

Ranked #6 of 27 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Long Beach
“Relaxing getaway!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

A clean, comfortable place right on the sand. The staff is friendly and the manager, Don is incredible and works hard to ensure your taken care of with dining, activities and accommodations! The week we spent at Casa Cecelia was very relaxing and would highly recommend for singles, couples and family with older kids.

Room Tip: Any room in the main house is great and faces the beach. Villa is not on the sand, but completely p...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank jazzystiara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Hebrew first
new york city
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I just spent (2) weeks at Casa Cecilia and each day got better and better. What makes Casa Cecilia special is so many things. First, Don Martinez, the manager is incredible. He takes so much care of his guests and of Casa Cecilia. Don is more than a hotel manager, he will become your friend. Second, Casa Cecilia is a small boutique hotel that feels like a warm and cozy home, you will get to know the others who are staying there, talk about your day, the surf report and just enjoy the intimacy of this small hotel. Third, I loved the location, being removed (and yet close) to town. I prefer Hermosa and the beaches to the north, so Casa Cecilia was a perfect spot in the middle of all the action; surf, shops, restaurants and more. When I return to Santa Teresa there is no other place I would stay. Like the title of this review, Casa Cecilia is a home away from home for me. Thank you Don and Santa Teresa for such an incredible stay xo

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank tashimoto
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was the last place I stayed in the area and by far it had the best location. Your room will open right onto the beach in a much less crowded area then just down the road in Playa Carmen. Right outside your door you can enjoy great surfing, beautiful sunsets or just relax in the hammocks and do nothing. Don is super helpful with anything you need to know or want to do in the area. The breakfast they provide is perfect. Overall a great little place and so worth the value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Kathleen C
Paso Robles, California
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I have to begin this review by prefacing that I have been a long time "all inclusive" traveler, loving the goregous destinations and easiness of having everything planned out for the entire vacation. That mindset had quite an eye opening on our recent trip to Santa Teresa, Costa Rica.
Getting there. Well depending on where you are coming in from, this may or may not be a long journey to the destination. For us, the trip began in Newark, NJ. An easy 5 and a half hours later on our direct flight we were in San Jose. Great! Then we rented a 4x4 (I will get into more reason why you MUST have such a vehicle later in this review). All good. Then we got onto the roads of San Jose and the next 7 hours are a blur.San Jose is very poorly marked as far as street signs, and we just were complete idiots about getting to the main road that would take us to the Ferry in Puntarenas. Long story short, once we got there, the ferry had just departed. We waited 2 hours in Puntarenas, carefully keeping an eye on our vehicle(!).... Got on the ferry and started to relax. Of course, we would be arriving at the other side of the water in the dark and have to navigate our way over hills and valleys of unpaved, rocky terrain without the GPS system my husband decided to turn down at the rental agency. Well, atleast the road signs actually helped out on this side of the country and although it was a dark, somewhat challenging 2 hours (hungry and cranky from being up since 3 am!), we were happy to finally pull into Casa Cecilia. It was dark, but I could hear the ocean crashing from the open air living room of the main building. Exhausted, we got into our Villa (the only one at Casa Cecilia) turned on the very well functioning AC in the bedroom and I swear I never fell asleep so fast.
When morning came, we woke to the sounds of birds and barking dogs, and something new....a giant deep roaring sound that really resembled a Lion. Turns out it was the Howler Monkeys living at the moment in the trees outside our door. Walking outside the first thing in my view was a glimpse of this gorgeous blue sea, peaking through the tropical foliage. We were enthralled and drawn to the ocean like moths to a flame. All I can say is that the moment we walked into the living room and were offered an amazingly fresh and delicious selection of breakfast choices, had a cup of the best Costa Rican coffee ever, and were greeted by a friendly and attentive staff, headed up by Don, who clearly loves what he does, we were in love with Casa Cecilia.
We stayed in Santa Teresa for 11 days. This was such a treat for many reasons, but the truth is, it wasn't long enough. We didn't want to leave. So much can be said about the area, the things we did and saw in Malpais and Montezuma, our trip to Tortuga....but this is about the hotel.
The Villa is private and about 150 steps from the main house, a lovely stroll through Hibiscus plants and tweeting birds, and of course, Monkeys! I loved the Villa, very private, and again the great AC in the bedroom. It was nicely appointed, and clean, and kept up by a sweet housekeeper daily. The shower pressure was awesome, good call! Full kitchen and a nice futon in the salon...super comfortable.
Once in the main house there is access to the kitchen in a vary nice communal way, and very gracious in that there is a lasting supply of purified water available all day long. Breakfast is served at tables where everyone can meet and greet before their daily adventures or their leisurely beach time and we met so many fantastic people. The food was great, and Don is an awesome breakfast cook! He was so accomodating to my "princess" needs! I like Egg Whites, no problem, certain fruits, no problem. No onions! Whatever I wanted he was there to make it happen.
The beach is absolute perfection here. Waves t hat just keep coming, up to 10 or 12 feet at times, and breaking far out, so that the less athletic water types like myself could still enjoy the water. My husband loved body surfing and it was stellar for that. The water was a perfect 80 degrees everyday, and clear as can be. The sand is white and soft and clean. I can feel it under my feet just writing this.
Relaxing at Casa Cecilia is so easy, from the great start to the day, to the awesome sun and sand, to the hammocks hanging gracefully from palm trees along the beach. There is a little adorable dog that lives at the hotel and she was a blast, and helped me to not miss my two goldens too much!
There is also a lot close to Casa Ceclia so that by walking in either direction on the beach you can find so many things...bars, restaurants, surfing schools, and access to the road if you need to stop at the Super Ronny! I recommend checking out the restaurant next door, Roca Mar, Argentine food, the most amazing cocktails and big, giant, childlike green blow up chairs on the sand! We bought our own liquour and made plenty of cocktails in our Villa and brought them to the beach, which makes having your own kitchen a sweet deal. We made sandwiches a few times and it really felt like we had a "beach house" in paradise.
More about Don. Well we cannot say enough. We got to know the general manager very well during our stay and he truly made it very special. Don takes what he does very seriously and will be your tour guide, historian, comedian, doctor, chef and family member by the time you leave Casa Cecilia.
Would we go back? What do you think? We are hoping to bring back a group of friends and rent the entire place some time (16 Guests would take it over). How cool would that be? I can't think of anything better.
We recommend Casa Cecilia as a perfect place to unwind, find adventure and feel at home, away from home....all with perfect weather!

Room Tip: The Villa is perfect for a couple or couple with a small child. The Suite is great for a family of 4...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nancy46648
london
Reviewed 13 January 2012

You've read it here and hands down this place has the best location and a very chilled vibe. My husband and I spend a week there in December (we would have stayed longer but the place was fully booked) and we loved every second of it. The place is just a small house with only 6 rooms so you feel like you are staying in a private villa. The place is located on the best bit of the beach in Santa Teresa. Closer to town and its too busy, further down north and its too rocky. Also Rocomar bar/restaurant is right next door so you can have lunch / drinks without much effort. The manager Don is a great guy. Very helpful and resourceful. Ultimately he takes care of his guests with anything they need. He was spot on with restaurant recommendations/yoga/surfing.
The place is very relaxed and one of the few places in santa teresa that does breakfast. Don is an early riser and the coffee will be on from 6a.m. so if you are up early its wonderful to get some coffee and watch the waives.
The rooms probably have not been updated in some years and its such shame because if one were to spend a little money this place could be first class. It has the best location and the best manager all it needs is some comfortable beds and toiletries. The only thing you get in the bathroom is the tiniest soap; the nearest pharmacy is 40 minutes walk so bring your own soap, shampoo etc..
Great location, great vibe, delicious breakfast with early coffee, very relaxed but very simple and could do with upgrading some amenities.
If this place is full or you want something a little more luxurious try Nautilus hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple