Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

There is a lot of positives about the resort. The rooms are large and well appointed (I realize that they are now going through a major renovation). The pools are nice and the beachfront access to two beaches is good. There are a number of complimentary activities which we enjoyed. There is wildlife although with the amount of construction that has occurred the past decade there certainly appeared to be less monkeys around the resort. Staff were nice although I got the impression not entirely happy - perhaps the four month renovation and uncertainty as to employment was affecting them.

Unfortunately the dining was far from great. I do not expect the Four Seasons (or any hotel) to have f&b pricing similar to the region that they are in, but when I pay a lot for dinner in Hawaii at the FS at least I realize that most dining is expensive in Hawaii. The prices at the restaurants were unreasonably expensive (particularly for Liberia CR), and that can be said more so for the alcohol pricing. The cost of bottles of wine would run a multiple of 5 of that which you might expect to purchase the same bottle in Canada or the US. I recommend purchasing your wine and alcohol at the Liberia airport. I was also not impressed when the waiter on the first night attempted to convince us that we should consider having bottled water (at $10 a bottle) as the water 'may' not be drinkable - I took the 'risk' and we drank the water, it was completely fine.

There was a consistent theme among virtually all of the guests (we spoke with many) that the dining prices were excessive. And the food that we had was not great. We ultimately woke up and started taking the shuttle to the Andaz and regularly dined at their restaurants - which we found better and more reasonably priced.

Stayed: October 2017
Ronny F, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Greetings Candadian-Beagle,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your visit to our resort. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant time enjoying our pools and complimentary resort activities. I am deeply sorry to hear that our food and beverage offerings did not exceed your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to share it with the team. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back after our reimagination.

Resort Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,975)

Reviewed 8 October 2017

It is Four Seasons Perfect. Two beaches to choose from. Amazing wild life, and the most beautiful golf course on the planet. Rooms are comfortable with screened porches, and the hotel is packed with activities. I recommend the trail through the rainforest. it's free and on the hotel property. Definitely take the catamaran to Playa de Coco to sight see. Overall, the hotel was perfect!!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Greetings Charles H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our resort. We are thrilled you enjoyed our Trail of the Giants tour on our golf course and your time spent enjoying our beaches. We hope to welcome back in the future.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Our week+ at the Four Seasons exceeded our highest expectations!

We stayed just before the hotel was going to close for a huge make over..I must express my sincere appreciation for each and every staff member who took care of my family day/nite...Each "special" request was seamless and delivered with perfection.

Upon arrival, we were met by Ronny Fernandez, Hotel Mgr who insured our stay was simply....OVER THE TOP!..

And, I must applaud and thank the most gracious, Ella Coon who really went above and beyond each and every day for my family..Thank you Ella!
the week would have not been the same experience without you.

The staff is gracious and discreet. The people make the property truly special.

I must state in this review.. I believe the FS-Costa Rica surpasses the FS-HUALALAI without a doubt!\

Of course, the restaurants from breakfast to dinner were fantastic and prepared with perfection...

You will really enjoy the beach and water activities that the hotel has to offer.

Go to the Private Beach Club, which the FS has arranged entry for all it's guests..Great beach/infinity pool/bar/food...

We can't wait to return after the renovation..can't imagine the property even better but it will be even more incredible and luxurious..

Room Tip: Pool Suites are worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Dawson1313
Ronny F, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

Greetings Dawson1313,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent visit. It was a pleasure to meet you.I am thrilled that you were able to experience our resort and had an incredible family vacation thanks to Ella and the team. It is great to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy all of resort offerings from Prieta Beach Club to our daily resort activities and our restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back after our reimagination.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

We very much enjoyed our 5 days at the Four Seasons Papagayo. The Arnold Palmer Golf Course was in excellent shape from tee to green with breathtaking views on every hole. The entire course is surrounded by jungle teeming with wildlife that you see wandering the course as well. The resort staff were some of the friendliest people on earth. The food in the restaurants was superb with Italian Cuisine in the main lodge and a steakhouse at the Golf Resort. We will definitely be back for more of this....Pura Vida! Bill and Sonia, Naples.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main lodge all had a private balcony overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BillEarls
Ronny F, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Greetings BillEarls,

Thank you for sharing your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time on our Arnold Palmer course. It truly is a gem with all those views and wildlife you get to see from hole to hole. We are happy that you and Sonia had such a wonderful stay, and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

I've been to many Four Seasons and other luxury hotels around the world. I have never experienced a more impressive looking hotel. It was absolutely stunning. It far exceeds any Four Seasons Hotel in the World that I have visited. The landscape is breath taking and almost surreal at times. It is like a Hollywood movie set layout. There are two beaches with breathtaking views and sunsets. Photos couldn't do it justice. The staff was exceptional and extremely accommodating. The had many complimentary services like kayaking, snorkeling, trail walks, absolutely exceptional. Most Four Seasons I've gone to in the past charge for services. They had complimentary daily ice cream, desserts, refreshers... I can't put it into words how great they were. The food, however, was very expensive but it was good. We had two rooms with amazing views for our family and we all absolutely loved it. So much beauty, so many blessings. I would give this the highest recommendation of any place I've visited in the world, and that's saying a lot. Finally, get ready to be blown away when entering the complex, you will feel like you're on a Jurassic Park luxury expedition. I wish this hotel experience for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank magicdisplay
Ronny F, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Greetings magicdisplay,

We are thrilled you had such a wonder experience at our resort. It truly is a special place, it is great to hear that you spent your time enjoying our beach and all our resort activities. Thank you for taking the time to share with the tripadvisor community your experience. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
4.8 km away
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!