“My Amex was cloned...”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Boca Raton, Florida
“My Amex was cloned...”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

By all evidence, my American Express card number was stolen by a uniformed Four Seasons employee during my recent stay at their resort in Costa Rica. I booked a vacation there because I'd heard that it was not just the best hotel in Costa Rica but in all of Central America. Here's what happened---Upon arrival, I discovered that my new Verizon phone wasn't operable so I asked the concierge for advice. He told me that I could either go to Verizon in Liberia, an hour's drive away, or rent a cellphone, a service offered by the hotel. I opted to rent the cellphone. When I asked him to bill the charges for the cellphone rental to my hotel room, he told me I had to give him a credit card. I gave him my American Express reluctantly and was alarmed when I saw him take a CARBON PRINT of my card. In the meanwhile, my office stateside managed to get my cellphone up and running so I very shortly returned the rented cellphone to the concierge manning the desk, this time a woman. When I examined the receipt she gave me for the cell rental, it stated I'd used 120 minutes of service when, in point of fact, I'd only had the phone in my possession for an hour. I pointed out the mistake to the concierge who promised to rectify it but only if I tendered my Amex again. Again I balked at handing over my card, but eventually I gave in. Turns out my suspicions about handing over my Amex and allowing a carbon to be made were right on target as shortly thereafter American Express called my office in NYC seeking to verify charges made all over the country totaling thousands and thousands of dollars for items as varied as lumber and sporting goods. Needless to say, I was forced to cancel my card and have a new one issued at great inconvenience to me. What has the world come to if I cannot even check into a Four Seasons Hotel with a guarantee that my credit card information will be kept secure? Further, I take issue with how the matter was handled by the resort itself. I had an employee fluent in Spanish speak with front desk personnel including the General Manager and after initially promising to get to the bottom of it, they stopped returning my office's calls altogether. I am a longtime customer of the Four Seasons chain worldwide, but after this incident I will never stay at one of their hotels again.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
18 Thank DeLoNYC956
FSCos, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
I would like to express my sincerest sympathies for the inconvenience and stress caused to you as a result of the fraudulent charges made on your credit card.

At Four Seasons, we take the security of our guests very seriously. We have investigated the matter on property and spoken to representatives from American Express and the local credit card processing agency in Costa Rica and we are confident that the security breach did not happen at our resort. I realize that taking carbon imprints of credit cards is unusual, but it is still common practice by many places of business in Costa Rica. While we have discontinued this practice at our resort and take steps to ensure the security of our guests' credit card information, the imprint was nonetheless required by the cell phone rental company.

Again, I’m sorry that your experience at our Resort was a negative one. I would be pleased to speak with you directly if that would be helpful. Please feel free to contact me directly at Pascal.Forotti@fourseasons.com if you would like to discuss further.

Pascal Forotti
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Moorestown, New Jersey

Great Hotel !
You can hear the sound of the waves in many places at the resort. The pool area included, there is no loud music playing in the background just the sounds of the ocean and the birds. I sat on my screened balcony facing the ocean and watched the monkeys traveling through the trees. The room was very clean and calming. The restaurants were all good. I enjoyed trying different fruits each morning for breakfast. The spa was comfortable, and the staff was very welcoming. The golf cart Tour of the Giants, was a fun way to get out and see different areas of the resort.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jersey856
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The layout of the hotel is not gracious, graceful or particularly inviting. The setting is nice, between two beaches and they have a lot of land but the swimming pools are right "on top of" the restaurants, which are all jammed together and almost indistinguishable. To go from most guest rooms to the lobby, restaurants, or spa, one always has to walk through the pool area, around people, kids, chairs, noodles, towels and personnel cleaning the pool. And the noise of the pool area is always present. It all felt very jammed together
The worst thing for us while we were there was about a 2 to 1 ratio of kids to adults. There were groups of 4, 5 and 6 children standing outside doors talking, standing or eating in the bar area with their parents, cutting through or playing hide and seek in the restaurants between tables and spreading out through all areas usually without regard for others. Sometimes there was an adult with them and sometimes not. There was no way or place to escape the noise or play, including in the hot tub or the supposedly "quiet pool" Nor was there any adult space in the bar to simply have a drink without children at the next table or couch. Very disappointing and I think very unfair to those of us who were not there with children and would have appreciated a place where children did not take over.
The rooms are pleasant and well designed, good beds, good bathrooms and lots of storage, but nothing out of the ordinary. Housekeeping and room service were efficient. So we could retreat to our veranda for quiet, and for a reasonably quiet meal, except for the children next door periodically. The spa was also very nice, a very good treatment and a pleasant setting if not spectacular. The gym was ok and had nice views. Some of the trips were fun, like the zip lining. And they have walking or running routes along the internal roads, though not much in the way of hiking, except up and down stairs. As others have said, all trips are a pretty long ride away so I would not use this as a base to see Costa Rico. As to service, I found it medium, it was better in the restaurants, but the beach areas and the bar were extremely slow and sometimes it was apparent that people just ignored that you were there to be served. Certainly I did not think up to FSor other luxury service levels.
All in all I would not go back to this FS.. It was not graceful, the prices for everything matched the prices in NY and I did not get even a smidgen of the relaxation that I wanted because of the lack of a place reserved for adults (not even the bar) where the large numbers of children were not present. Other choices in Costa Rico are better focused on value, and service to all their guests

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chicago60604
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. Usually our trips involve a lot of planning, stays at B&B's and remote locations, and a lot of rugged adventure. This time we wanted to show up at a nice hotel and have them take care of everything. Four seasons did just that. They helped us plan hikes and activities including horseback riding and ziplining. They included lunch at a local restaurant near the ziplining location where there was a table reserved just for four seasons guests. Everyone was so gracious and bent over backwards for our comfort.

The rooms are spacious and clean. I loved that there was a screen on the balcony to keep the mosquitos and bugs away. Since they knew it was our anniversary, they made us a mini wedding cake and left it in our room to enjoy. We ordered room service a couple of times and they came in and set everything up so we can eat in comfort.

The highlight of our stay had to be the spa. Wow, what an experience. They spared nothing in the huge luxurious space. If you go, make sure you make a trip to the spa. Its worth the money.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My sister and I decided to come to Costa Rica for the first time. We booked a 5 day stay at the renowned Four Season Hotel in the Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste. We were treated like royalty and we were quite impressed with the overall service in every way. It was excellent and the hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. They went above and beyond our requests and were always very attentive to our needs. We wanted to hang out at the pool and it was very hot, so the hotel staff brought us cold drinks frequently and even a spray bottle to cool off when we were not in the water. That was a nice gesture and they helped us to have one the best stays possible. We also really enjoyed the spa services, exercise room and relaxing massages. Four Seasons Costa Rica is easily one of the best hotels we have stayed at. The different types of restaurant and abundance of great menu choices were wonderful and we loved all the food we tried. The Chinese and Thai food was especially delicious and I think we even gained a few pounds on our way back to Canada. Our hotel room had an incredible view of the Pacific Ocean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants the best service possible.
After 2 days in the hotel we booked an unforgettable tour with Esteban Valverde of Issys Tours to the Arenal Volcano area for some hiking and sightseeing. Our driver Alex and guide Edwin picked us up bright and early at the hotel lobby. They were very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. We enjoyed the fact that they always had a smile on their faces and bilingual guides to make our trip easier. Along the way to the volcano hike and during the hike, they gave us insightful information about the roads, the country, animals, plants and the the eruption cycle of the volcano. Edwin helped us find the best places to take pictures and we actually got to see the volcano erupt. It was awesome. After the hike we went to the soothing hot springs waters to enjoy cold drinks and relax in paradise. Thanks Issys for treating us so well. You guys are great!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,115 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!