“Disappointing”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed 13 September 2017

A great location right on the beach. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and that is all the positives I have about my 3 night stay here.
The décor and furnishings in my room and in the hotels general areas are tired and in need of a complete make over. My room smelt damp when I arrived.
This hotel may be owned by the same group who own the Eastern & Oriental in Georgetown, Penang but the Lone Pine is definitely the poor relation and is nothing like the E&O which I did visit.
One saving grace; there is a free shuttle bus to and from the E&O several times a day, it is a 30 - 40 min journey in to town.
The breakfast area is quite crowded and upon entering this area via the interconnecting corridor was met with the aroma of cleaning fluids! Plus waiting staff did not seem to know what decaf coffee was.
Staying here was not a pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: Don't go. however rooms overlooking the beach side maybe quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,516)

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

It's a very nice environmental hotel but it's need to shut down completely for a make over before every customers are disappointed. Some staff don't even know how to handle a customer, for instance my room was given with 3 breakfast but my son joined me at the last moment so we were 4 of us having breakfast which i know i have to pay for additional 1 person but wat happens is while i am having my soup nodels with chop stick in one hand and the other hand holding a spoon there was one girl holding my bill and insists i must sign immediately.
That's a shame moment for me.
The was only one superb staff Leorna. She was really good and professional.
Anyhow it's a very nice hotel by itself.
Thanks.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Gunasegaran_28
Reviewed 8 September 2017

I was extremely disappointed with Lone Pine. I have been travelling to Penang for holidays for the past 15 years and this was by far the worst place I have stayed in. The building its self is charming but the experience was terrible. The pool was filthy and unfit to swim in, I was extremely concerned about guests safety. I brought my concerns to the staff and it wasn't until my family and I kept hassling them that we got to speak to the manager who didn't seem too concerned. There was rubbish all around the pool chairs and it stayed there for days, it wasn't until I wrote a very strongly worded letter that anything was done about it. The staff were lazy and spent all day standing around talking to each other. The day we checked out I found out from other guests that you are able to take a shuttle bus to the E&O and use their pool, I couldn't understand why the staff didn't bring this to our attention after we made our concerns clear that the pool wasn't swimmable. Seriously, this is a resort and I wasn't able to swim! So terrible, DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Honestly, the dirtiest hotel that I've ever stay. Totally spoil our holiday mood. Please look at the pictures I've taken. Old, Dusty and dirty room, clog basin, clog bathroom. another OMG, the housekeeper didn't even clear the rubbish bin under the basin! how disgusting!
Besides, there's a wedding reception at the evening till night. We didn't get any notice during check in or msg inside the room. We are travelling with 3mths old baby and our room just right facing the event. After the event ends at 11pm, on and off I still can hear the movement sound of furniture after the event.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We recently returned from our family get together staying at the Lone Pine. After initially feeling disappointed as we had quite a wait to have access to our allocated room due to a late checkout and previous guests leaving the room in serious disarray. The cleaner had used a carbolic smelling cleaner leaving the room smelling like a public urinal so we requested if we could have another room, something we'd never done before.Thankfully, they were able to do so and from then on our holiday progressed wonderfully, thanks to the relaxing atmosphere and the warm & friendly staff.
We found the breakfast very enjoyable, having plenty of choice whether from the buffet or choosing something cooked freshly to your request.
The hotel is in a great location and we loved the boutique atmosphere. We understand it has changed ownership and does require a little maintenance; given its historic value of being the original resort it would be lovely to see its decor returned Its original classic styling.
If you would love a spacious room with leafy green view, pool & sea glimpses; occasional visits from the local monkeys, delicious Asian food, warm friendly atmosphere and staff, lazy poolside relaxing or adventurous water sports... I think you'll be more than happy with your stay. Once again, big thanks to the lovely Lone spine staff.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
11.2 km away
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#9 of 87 in George Town

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!