“nice colonial resort with rooms for improvement!”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed 13 June 2012

we stayed at the grand premier suite for our family holiday ... the room is located in a 2-floor building and is well layout with 2 spacious en suites ... everyday we woke up with a nice beach view ... the open green & interior design is very nice ... on top of that, the concierge staff are very attentive & polite ..

however, there are still rooms for improvement to have made our stay value-for-money:
1/ housekeeping - it's a basic for every hotel to provide clean towels .. however, the first day we checked in, found a face towel with stain and subsequently, floor mats ....
2/ housekeeping - the amenities such as cotton balls & tissue paper were not being replenished not daily but the whole stay
3/ housekeeping - we were busy doing the mosquito 'control' in the suite the first day we checked in ...
4/ ventilation - we woke up with the whole suite being filled with oil smell ... it's like we were inside the kitchen ... hotel was friendly enough to have put the ioniser but the smell didn't go away until late afternoon
5/ room facilities - wi-fi wasn't working until calling for another router to be put in the room
6/ room facilities - should equip with each washing basin a rubbish bin & face tissue box

all in all, the hardware of the hotel is fantastic ...
thanks again for mr khoo & the staff trying to make our stay more enjoyable!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovetravel-2010

Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is a delayed review that I have emailed to the GM of Lone Pine and he has responded kindly.. The review below will give the overall experience I had at LonePine. There were some hits and misses. But overall, we had a great getaway.

As I write this, I am in the comfort of the Premier room. It is just perfect for my family.
Appreciate the arrangement of the interconnecting rooms as I am traveling with 2 young kids. Your team at reservations did a good job attending to my requests.

The last 3 days have been great.. This is the kind of boutique hotel that we enjoy being at rather than any of the Big brand names.. We love the environment, the quaintness of the resort and the vast space that my kids can just run around. However, there are a couple of "misses" that I feel I should let u know

1) We checked in close to midnight on the 3 Dec, the lady at the front desk did not wear her name tag, and I think her name is Denise. As it was late and we were all tired.. I was annoyed at the fact that she had to calculate my total bill and got me to confirm the amount when my brain was not really working already. 2ndly, I had to ask her if she was going to take us to our rooms as she handed me the keys without even offering any assistance.. There was no bellboy to help us with our luggage so we decided to handle it on our own. She could have informed me that we had to take a flight of stairs... My husband had to carry a big luggage that was packed for the whole family and it was heavy.. Personally, I feel that she had quite a "care-less" attitude and I did not expect that from Lonepine.

2) Our package includes dinner at Matsu and no voucher was provided upon check in. I am aware that we checked in late. I think the Front Desk could have been more attentive about informing me of the activities at Lonepine..

3) I was not informed that shuttle service had to be booked. Thank goodness Mr Ismail accommodated us and made arrangements for us to go to E&O despite the shuttle being full

4) I was also not informed that the cooking session was at 730am. I was really looking forward to this event. But missed it too as it had alrdy started when I saw the group from the window of my room.

5) Service at breakfast could have been better too. Food could have been replenished faster as very often the trays were quite empty. The service staff could have been more attentive

I know it was a busy weekend as there were 2 weddings and I appreciate the letter from the hotel to inform us. But, I feel that the service standards could be improved. The reason why we prefer to stay at boutique hotel is to feel the sense of home away from home. The development is great.. Just wished that the staff at the resort were more friendly and hospitable.

There were a few staff that I like to compliment though.. Selvam from the bungalow, the housekeeping lady that took care of our rooms and sending us our cupcakes.. She was nice to my kids. And Freddie from the front office that provided us some information abt Penang. Also your accounts manager, a lady that apologies on the night that we did not get our Matsu voucher that caused some difficulty when trying to make reservation.

With the above mentioned, we will stay at Lonepine again when we are in Penang :)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I have stayed at this resort twice already and I would be happy to return again. The resort is really lovely and the rooms are spacious. Internet and breakfast were included in my room rate both times. I was looking for a quiet beach front location with nice gym facilities. I wasn't disappointed. The first time I stayed at this hotel, I spent a good deal of time at the pool. I was a little disappointed that the wading pool was out of commission on my second visit. I didn't plan to wade, but it was a bit of an eye sore to see orange tape fencing off the space.

The rooms were very comfortable with modern decorations and elegant touches of color. The best part of both rooms were the bathroom/shower facilities. The shower was very spacious in both rooms. The gym was small but adequate for vacation usage. There was a water machine and towels in the gym, in addition to shower facilities. I didn't try out the spa, because it was fully booked whenever I tried to make an appointment.

I tried the sushi restaurant at the hotel one night. It was a nice venue, but the sushi was only so-so. Fortunately, the hotel breakfast was much better. There was an omelette station and a number of asian and western options on the buffet. My only tiny complaint was that the service wasn't great during the breakfast rush and the staff was very slow to bring coffee or tea.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
MarcoGB, Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear Wandering03,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I am sure everything is well and the month of June is proceeding positively for you and your family.

First and foremost, thank you for your positive comments of our staff, rooms, facilities and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor.

I certainly appreciate your care, time and interest you have taken to highlight your dissatisfaction with regards to the below par F&B service you experienced at The Bungalow during your stay with us.

I regret that as a guest, you did not receive the level of service you certainly expect from us and I certainly apologize for this unacceptable experience.

Together with my Team, I will take the necessary steps to correct such negative performances.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable and more fulfilling.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

Stayed three nights, but would have liked more. We considered going back to the big resorts we had previously stayed at , but decided to give this one a go. So glad we did. The place is comparatively small and so never felt crowded. We actually went to dinner at the Golden Sands next door and the crowds that were walking around the gardens and hanging around the pool made us glad we chose to stay at Lone Pine. Apart from breakfast which was more than adequate (but not the massive spread you might get at bigger resorts) we did not eat at the hotel, but found food very cheaply not far outside. Rooms were huge with great views of the ocean. Very much enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ray3149

Dear Ray3149,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

It was indeed a pleasure to have you as our guest during your visit to Penang and I trust you had a safe and pleasant trip back home.

Thank you for your positive comments of our room and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

It was really fantastic to have read your wonderful comments during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel and that have made it more satisfying for all of us to learn that we have managed to fulfil the expectations of another guest.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I likes the environment and design around the hotel, the architectural and interior design is nice, this hotel has been re- furbished with fine details.

the restaurant's food at The Bungalow ( fusion food ) & the Matsu ( Japanese restaurant ) is nice. Some lady waitress at The Bungalow seems unfriendly but the man waiter is better with smiling face and helpful.

For those disabled traveller, this is a good place to stay and dine. As all places in accessible here with facility, ramps and wheel chair friendly environment.

o, if you want to have dinner at the japanese Matsu, remember to book beforehand.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear EH_Wee,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

Thank you for your positive comments of our staffs, our restaurants, facilities and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
11.2 km away
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 87 in George Town

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!