“Really tasty food!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Met here with friends on a Tuesday evening after Easter. It was unfortunately too cold to sit outside but the little bar was lively and we felt welcome. The restaurant behind the bar was bright and airy yet had plenty of character, while our waiting staff were friendly and attentive. We can recommend the pesto-flavoured bread rolls but other varieties were available! I had turbot in a delicious sauce with leek and samphire - never have butter beans tasted so good. One friend had pork belly, apparently one of Chef Simon’s signature dishes, which she deemed the best she’d ever tasted. We had plenty of time to chat over our meal without unnecessary interruptions and thoroughly enjoyed our evening. I’m looking forward to returning in the summer, when we can (hopefully) sit in the gardens and admire the views.

1  Thank Julieworth

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Came across this pub on a walk from Petworth House so was looking for some respite from the torrential rain and mud. Luckily there is a nice smokers area outside which unusually is covered and has a log fire. None of us smoke but this was a nice area to dry off a bit and have a pint before venturing inside to the cosy pub for a warm up and sandwich. Good beer, good food and very welcoming!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Let's start with the good stuff. The setting of the pub is exceptional and the atmosphere in the bar, full of locals with the buzz of lively conversation, provides a great feeling when you arrive. The large restaurant at the back of the inn and up from the bar had only two other sets of diners when we arrived. Having announced our reservation, the staff just directed us into the restaurant without any attempt to show us to a table. Service was somewhat slow and perfunctory. Most of the time there were no staff available in the restaurant and so we just had to wait for someone to arrive with a food order to gain their attention. The lunch menu was dominated by fish dishes but I chose the burger and my companion, the pulled pork bap. In both cases, the bread was dense, the buns too large and completely over the top for either dish. The quantity of spicy ketchup sauce provided with the burger was inadequate for me but nobody was available to ask for more at the time I wanted it. My chocolate dessert with clotted cream ice cream was fine, though my companion's toasted banana with butterscotch sauce didn't have the visual attractiveness one normally expects in a dessert. I have eaten here several times in the past and each time I leave feeling slightly disappointed. With a little more attention to service and culinary detail, this interesting inn could be a truly great destination.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

. A pub set in beautiful countryside
.Warm welcome had
.Friendly staff giving good service
.Sunday lunch heaven, roast beef enough for eight not six but took home the rest.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

The most fabulous service, delicious food, booking over a month in advance recommended for Sunday lunch. Great birthday celebration. Important to leave room for pudding