All reviews dive sites skull caves dive shop muck diving fish papua new guinea dive master world class coral reef night dive milne bay local staff worth the effort bus ride remote location marine life village walk
Reviewed 7 January 2017

Thankfully nothing much seems to change too quickly in PNG. And that includes the 50min flight from Port Moresby (Jackson airport) to Alotau (Gurney airport), the 1.5hr bumpy bus ride to the coast, and the 20min speed boat ride to the resort. That's how Tawali has remained a secluded Paradise.
We returned to Tawali after 2yrs, and this time I brought a dive buddy to enlighten his view of the underwater world.
Once again spectacular diving on reefs, walls, and in the muck; with sightings of a hammerhead shark, leopard shark, reef sharks, turtles, rays, barracuda, octopus, Pygmy seahorses, hairy ghost pipefish, ornate ghost pipefish, harlequin shrimp, nudibranches, and so much more. The Dive Masters (Albert T, Jonah, Nozaki, Alfred, George) really know where to find the amazing (small) sea life. The dive log book the resort gives you when you arrive is a treasure, with descriptions and maps of some of the dive sites.
Benson is still one of the chefs, the food was always appetising, varied, and plentiful, and the wait staff were friendly, efficient, and obliging. Tip: always have the soup.
Tawali has one of the world's best views from a seat at the bar: watching the dolphins heading out at dusk from the Bay, the 'local' fishermen angling on their single outrigger canoes, or the rippled waters over the House reef. Anne was attentive and quick with any refills needed.
The land-based activities were run by Gilbert, who co-ordinated a special Christmas gift-giving trip to the school village for us.
There's only wifi in the reception lounge and quite slow but good enough to upload a few photos to Facebook to keep family and friends in the loop.
The conference centre is now completed and doubles as a Kids Club.
Their liveaboard, the Spirit of Niugini, was undergoing cabin re-fits. The B-17 bomber (Black Jack) wreck is included in one of their itineraries and with plenty of ocean still to explore in Milne Bay, I might be tempted to return and head out to sea.
The mangers Mark and Armando went out of their way to make our trip, and the last night's dinner, a truely memorable one.
Thank you once again to all the staff at Tawali for another unforgettable experience.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Dr_Nikk1
Reviewed 2 December 2016

I spent several days here before and after a dive trip on their Spirit of Niugini. Whilst the SoN is an older boat, the crew were excellent and very attentive; more importantly the diving was absolutely first rate. Having dived all around the world, I think the biodiversity and health of the reef (& muck dives) in Milne Bay is the best I've seen. On a week long trip we only saw several other dive boats, and never other dive boats diving the same sites.
Dives directly around the Tawali resort were excellent and diverse, and would make a reasonable alternative to taking a dive cruise.
A special thanks to Mark (Owner's rep for Tawali) who went well beyond expectations, including helping me sort out documents/business whilst I was off on the dive cruise. A very genuine stand-up guy.
I'll be back to see the hammerheads...

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank JoshT1347
Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

We did not stay here but just did a day trip from a cruise ship.
It's a lot of travel from Alotau wharf via mini bus and dive boat to get here but certainly worth it.
We snorkelled at Tawali Resort before having lunch. Lunch was great and staff were so friendly. We then did a visit to the skull caves and a waterfall which was just beautiful to swim in.
I would love to come back and stay some time. Thankyou for having us.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

We did a day trip to tawali from alotau to do some diving. This place is stunning. It's literally paradise. The staff were incredibly friendly and accomodating. Unfortunately there was a mix up with the amount of dives we had booked and we ended up not doing our second dive that we had paid for. We were refunded $ for the second dive but also offered 2 nights free accomodation if we were to go back. We will def return as I've never seen a more beautiful place and we thought jay was a generous offer the the mix up! Can't wait to go back in 2017.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

This is the resort for divers and non-.divers. It's a quite and pleasant place with beautiful spacious rooms that have balconies overlooking the lush landscape and the beautiful waters of Papua New Guinea's famous Milne Bay. The staff is very accommodating. They washed my clothes and help me with every aspect including preparing my dive equipment making sure I was comfortable and fed on board the boat. The best diving is about 1-1/2 hours out, but we were on a very spacious yacht with cook and Captain. They served up a good lunch between our 2nd and 3rd dives of about 1 hour each.
One thing I didn't care for was when the divers came from cruise ships. Of course it is good for the resort but now it's a full boat! However it's really a minor thing.
Rarely bitten by bugs. Wonderful new manager, Antonio. I hope that I got that right. He's a fine gentleman and always accommodating he wants to make sure this is your best trip ever and he does that. I go back in a heartbeat. They have land tours also so I went to the skull caves and bathed in a beautiful magnificent waterfall. I could never begin to tell you how amazing the people are. Bring some Kina (local currency) b/c the artifacts are worth every penny. You've traveled so far to a distant land and you should bring back more than memories. A nice collection is also available at Tawali gift shop but when you go out and meet the maker it's special.

Date of stay: October 2016