“Must do hike”

and up
Full-Day Tongariro Alpine Crossing Hike
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Always check the website for changes that might affect your trip.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Definitely one of the higlights of my trip in NZ. The hike was quite challenging at time/ so proper shoes are highly recommended. I did the hike with denim shorts on and was wearing bad runners (no grip) and survived even though was freezing at the top! Have snacks and enough water and your camera battery full — the views are stunning. Oh and a water and wind proof jacket, definitely!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,764)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"dress in layers"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

The gradual incline and crowds all marching together in the first third made me think we'd made a mistake, but gradually the people thinned out, the terrain became more mountainous and it felt like a proper hike! We parked at the end point (Ketetahi) and got a shuttle to the start - arriving at 6.30am sharp meant we got a space in the car park rather than 1km back on the road.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I was really nervous afyer reading reviews! I am glad we did it and can say i probably would not do it again. Thankfully we had a perfect day of weather. Partly cloudy , no wind, no precipitation. Go prepared. A light good backpack , a good rainjacket, solid hiking shoes, light gloves and a wrap for you head-ears or neck. It gets windy up in the open mountain air so ear protection made it more comfortable. No sandals, jeans or cotton. Rainjacket was only coat i needed for protection and warmth. I also recommend walking stick. Very helpful to keep your footing. Bring water and snacks. We took sandwiches, crackers and fruit. And stopped a couple times to rest and eat a little . I also brought extra socks and changed out on the way down. We got lots of beautiful pictures and it was truly a memorabe experience. You literally are climbing a mountain on the steep edge with no paved path or rails on loose rocks.
Have fun! Glad we did it

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Great Walk. Bring more sunscreen and water than you think. It is written already but leave as early as possible. Be weary of the 4hr park limit