“You Cant Beat Warm Excellence”

Hacienda Hotel Santo Domingo
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Izamal
San Cristobal de las Casas
“You Cant Beat Warm Excellence”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We travelled an extra hundred miles from Merida to again experience the feel and excellence of this hotel, pet the dogs and have great food and libations with the owners. We got the same room at the end of the built out property and in the middle of jungle, with fan palms and other trees all around and multicolored tropical flowes all around. I am an early riser and went out on our deck at 630AM or so to listen to the jungle waking up and see the sunrise. Soon the hostess came with coffee and then, a full breakfast included, whatever you want. My wife slept another hour, then we both ate and drank coffee. A perfect place for intimacy and reflection. We will always come back. A plus, we had a very intelligent and spirited conversation with a visiting Frenchman and his wife who gave us a good insight into the fierce feelings that Europeans have about the continuing economic crisis and the recent French elections. This was a great two night stay with great food, wine and reasonable price. Pool was aplus.

Room Tip: Get the last room with deck to jungle.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Mahahual,
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I've stayed at Romantic Santo Domingo before, so I knew what to expect, except the new room I stayed in this time had a bathroom that was out of this world. Now I know that a bathroom is not a reason to stay at a hotel, but sometimes the little things make all the difference in the world. I felt like was staying in a $600 a night bathroom - the sunken outdoor jungle shower with its stone walls and floors was beautiful. The rainwater shower was just perfect! The rest of the room was clean, and charmingly decorated, but when I entered the bathroom, I was in another world. I was there in April and the weather was perfect, not too cold or hot, so showering underneath the stars was a complete joy. I think the breakfasts have gotten better since I was there last and that was a treat since I enjoy my breakfasts. I like it when a place I like anyway just gets better. Kudos to the owners, Harald and Sonjia. I'll come back again.

Room Tip: I don't know the name of the room, but the room with the fabulous bathroom is the furthest to th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

Tha place is hosted by personalized owners, rooms are Mexican yuctan atmospher, we have 2 kids and we loved tha fact that this place has some friendly and nice dogs plus some baby lambs, the food was fantastic and te bar beverage well done, this all was a surprise for us because the small town has a fantastic hotel, we wish we could stay more time because been in Izamal and staying here is a great combination to enjoy true Mexican traditions

Do not hesitate and look at this place, if have the chance stay!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank iluckiep
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife an I we spent two nights in april 2012 at Hotel Santo Domingo in Yucatan, Mexico: it is indeed a charming place at the edge of small colonial town of Ixamal situated in the hard of Maya land, comfortable, clean and with european charm decorated bungalows and rooms with a wide range from backpackers need and budget up to first class junior suites!, family administration (austrian/mexican) individualized and very friendly service, good food, we had to work in town and in the afternoon and night I enjoyed it very much to let the soul hang arround in a hammock at the pool side. It´s a place for people who like it to travel different! Xinia and Helmut

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Kelwood, Manitoba
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We happened upon the Hotel Santo Domingo by chance, and absolutely loved it! We were travelling with our two small children (2 & 4) and we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with kids (we also plan to return and enjoy the romantic side of this wonderful space). The rooms are immaculate, well designed, beautiful and a delight. We were treated like royalty, served one of the most amazing breakfasts I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying at a hotel (it was included in the price of the room, which was already priced very reasonably) we also ate several other meals during our stay, and we were extremely pleased. They were served by the beautiful pool, under a gorgeous palapa, where you can enjoy the evening breezes while enjoying your meal. This respectfully renovated hacienda, is a pure pleasure...and we highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Izamal.

Room Tip: I think any room at this hotel would be a pleasure...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Izamal
0.9 km away
Hacienda Sacnicte
#3 of 5 in Izamal
0.5 km away
Hotel Macanche Bed & Breakfast

Been to Hacienda Hotel Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!