All reviews private beach each cottage top floor strong currents overlooking the water different places mosquito net vegan chef coast roads island legs concord solitude porch kitchenette
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Mango Bay Cottages in Feb 2017. We stayed in both St. George's and by Grand Anse Beach and this was our favourite location. We stayed in a lower cottage and enjoyed this as there is a lot of local wildlife (birds, plants) that we enjoyed looking at. You can get a higher view from the restaurant cottage so we liked having the contrast.
The room is large and clean, king sized bed and air-conditioning. It also has a full kitchen. We ate the food from the restaurant it was amazing! Highly recommend! Mango Bay Cottages is in Concord Falls which is about a 30-40 minute bus ride from St. George's (this is where we went to get groceries, and different things we needed). The local bus will pick you up from the main road and will drop you back off. They're a bit crowded but cheap and definitely worth using. I would recommend using the bus system to get around. You can get anywhere on the island by bus.
There is a private beach that we used. It was amazing!! We did not have any issue getting down or up from the beach. Bring your snorkel gear, while we were there we seen loads of fish and an octopus! Usually the beach is empty however apparently people will boat over on the weekends to party on it, however, we did not stay during the weekend.
**Important to note is that the plugs are 220Volt. We had 110Volt, you can buy a "transformer" in St. George's at a store called Pennywise for about 10USD, or bring your own. We were not prepared for this. Some accommodations had voltage for both, however I think 220Volt is more common on the island.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Britt N
Reviewed 9 January 2017

Peggy the owner (who is not onsite at the property) was very responsive and helpful in advance of our stay, which I always think is a good sign, but sadly things started on the wrong foot when we arrived, since the cottage I requested and was promised had been given to other guests and the dinner reservation I had made for our first night had not been communicated to the chef. Luckily he was able to accommodate us, but for a little while anyway it looked as if we might be stranded on New Year's Eve with nowhere to have dinner.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but it's a difficult place to review, since it has a lot going for it but also some real issues.

On the plus side, the location is remote, very secluded and quite beautiful with great views -- although the views are definitely not as good from the lower cottages which are also not in quite as good condition (I know because we started in a lower one but got moved up to the one we had originally been promised once the other guests left the property) despite the prices being the same. But the location is also a negative, since there is very little nearby (even the nearest tiny grocery store is a car, taxi or bus ride away) so be prepared to either rent a car (but be warned that the driving is not especially tourist friendly) or spend a considerable amount of time (and money if you take taxis) on the bus (which is quite an experience in itself, but you can message me privately if you want to know more about that).

The cottages are very charming and the beds very comfortable, although the kitchens and bathrooms are a bit dodgy and could use some sprucing up.

The somewhat private beach is a little gem, but as other reviewers have said, the stairs are quite steep and by another reviewer's count (which seemed about right to me) there are 160+ of them.

The dirt road from the main road which you will have to walk to/from the bus is also no picnic (and gets muddy if it rains) and is pitch black at night (luckily we each had flashlights on our phones).

Again, the plus side of all this is that the location is very secluded and has that lovely little beach and nice views.

We had several breakfasts and dinners at the restaurant and really enjoyed the delicious vegan food (although I wish the chairs were more comfortable and ditto for the other chairs on the property all of which are wood).

Finally, and this is no small thing, we stayed for 7 nights and rarely had hot water -- most of the time it was luke warm at best (our friends were staying in another cottage and had the same problem).

The room rates and meal prices at Mango Bay are quite reasonable to begin with plus we got a night free for not getting the cottage we were promised for the first four nights and a free breakfast on the last day for not having hot water. The bargain rates are definitely an incentive to stay here, and we appreciated the concessions in light of what went wrong, but personally I think Peggy should give the property a bit of a face lift (and do a better job remembering who requests what in terms of cottages and dinner reservations) and charge a little more, since a free breakfast hardly makes up for the better part of a week without hot water.

All that said, I am still giving Mango Bay 4 out of 5, since overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Scott J
Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

The place itself is beautiful but it's a hassle to get here. We thought about renting a car but decided against it since there was a bus system that runs until 10 or so. Taxis are a bit expensive here. Once you get to the front, there's another stretch where you walk 10 mins which would be fine if it wasn't raining, not fun going thru it with our luggages. The beach access really sucks and it's really dangerous, with missing steps. Staff overall was nice.

Stayed: December 2016
1  Thank Tiffine W
Reviewed 23 October 2016 via mobile

A spectacular stay in a gorgeous room, overlooking the sea. Tasty food cooked by one of the most chilled out and friendly guys I've ever met. Most of all, AC!

Only downside was the extremely perilous journey to the beach!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank silly_sausage_3000
Reviewed 29 July 2016

GO for it! This place has it all. Tranquility, relaxation, dining, and location.
Beds are great, cottages are super cute. There are 4 cottages total, stacked 2 and 2 next to each other with stairs in between. Beautiful private balconies.

We booked all 4 cottages for a mission trip to Concord. They were such wonderful hosts.

My wife and I took advantage of the massage services for our anniversary. $70 p/p an hour and it was totally worth it.

There are 161 steps going down to the beach! Yes, I counted one day coming back up. I may have missed a couple. It's totally worth it also. The private beach is small but perfect! The water is really clear and calm, just a little break in the waves. They let us use the kayaks and snorkel gear in our free time, which was really nice for the young ones in our group.

The food at the little restaurant is vegetarian, but the adults in our group really loved it. The pizza was the best by far, and the pancakes and mango at breakfast are delicious.

If I had to pick a con, it would be the first night we arrived one of the cottages was occupied so a couple (me and my wife) stayed in the main house upper living quarters. It is very nice, but there was no air conditioning. The next day they relocated us to the other cottage with no problems.

The only other negative I could think of was the water pressure and hot water. We had 8 people in the cottages and probably all showering at the same time, so that probably didn't help, but it wouldn't stop us from going again.

The wi-fi only worked outside the cottages, but I only needed it a few times and it was fine just walking toward the restaurant for a few minutes to get it. I wasn't there for the wi-fi! :D They may even have this fixed by now, it was being worked on.

Some people have mentioned the entrance. Off the main road up the west coast, there is a left turn, go about 50 yards, and turn right when you see the Eve's Cove restaurant. It is a little tricky at night for sure. We were wondering if we were in the right spot at first, but our driver assured us we were. It's only 3-4 minutes off the main road.

ALL IN ALL, THIS PLACE WAS AWESOME! Great people, comfortable, and so peaceful.

Room Tip: The top cottages obviously have a slightly better view of the bay area.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends