“Wonderful historical property”

Glenbarr Abbey Macalister Clan Visitor Centre
Ranked #6 of 12 things to do in Tarbert
Reviewed 8 September 2016

My wife and I visited Glenbarr Abbey last Wednesday and had a wonderful time. We were greeted by the lady of the house Lady Macalister, a real character. Despite the fact she was recovering from an eye operation she welcomed us into her beautiful home and gave us a very interesting insight into the history of both the house and its present and previous occupants. There were many fascinating items on display including a pair of gloves worn by Mary Queen of Scots. There were also vast collections of dolls , teddy bears and thimbles. We thought it was such a shame that this once great house now relies upon paying visitors for its upkeep and maintainance but under the circumstances £5 is a small price to pay for the privilege to view this house and soak in the atmosphere. Lady Macalister to her credit does a wonderful job looking after the house and its contents and makes the tour a memorable one with her warmth and wit. The gift shop stocks an array of unusual items at affordable prices. I can highly recommend a visit to Glenbarr Abbey for anyone visiting the area.

Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I came across the abbey during a lovely week spent in Machrihanish. We were met at the door by the lady of the house who gave us a really interesting tour, a beautiful home with so many things to look at. Lady MacAlister made us so welcome,telling us lots of stories and was kind enough to give my daughter a teddy bear from one of the rooms. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area

Reviewed 16 July 2016

We came here on a very rainy day and was given a fantastic welcome by the wonderful lady of the property. It was very different to any other manor house visit we have done but this made it very special, personal and unique. We were told fantastic stories and did a lot of laughing with our brilliant host. But we also saw the reality and difficulty in being a custodian to these wonderful homes.

Reviewed 6 June 2016

My husband and I visited here in lieu of our McAllister friends. Our tour with Jeanne was one of the highlights of our trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 October 2015

I'm only going on what I've heard from locals, as we weren't able to get in. According to the note at the door, it was "closed for the season," but another note said the season went till the end of Sept. We were there the 28th of Sept. and found it closed. We were told at the TIC that the owner had gone to the USA to visit relatives, so we were disappointed to have missed it. You would have to make doubly sure if you want to visit that she will be there, as obviously, the exact "season" is a bit hit and miss. We were told by our friends, who live locally, that we would find it "very interesting," but even they didn't know that the Laird's wife was gone.

3  Thank Diane E