“Excellent”

Restaurant L'Assiette Creuse
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Descartes
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

We have visited the restaurant on numerous occasions and never been disappointed. There is always a warm welcome. The menu choice is very good and very reasonably priced. The 'extra' amuse-buches are a lovely little touch. The restaurant is highly recommended for any occasion.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

We were told that a new restaurant had opened up in Descartes. We reserved a table outside as it was a warm evening. The terrace went across the pavement and into the road, but the occasional passing car didn’t bother us.

We both selected from the menu at 29 euros, but I asked if I might have a starter from the cheaper menu. I started with a cold soup of courgettes and mussels, which was followed by the fish of the day served with an ‘Indian’ rissotto, and I finished with the poached apricot for dessert. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. I found the dishes innovative, and the variety of flavours used worked well.

However, my husband was less impressed. His entrée was smoked salmon, but served warm in a liquid which had a distinct iodine taste. His main course of veal was not a good quality cut of meat. There was a lot of fat and little meat.

We therefore left with mixed opinions, I enjoyed my meal, but my husband did not.

1  Thank CindyAnn37
Reviewed 25 June 2016

While meeting friends in Descartes, we popped into this restaurant for lunch and were delighted with what we received. The welcome was friendly and we all had the fixed price menu, which was very tasty and good value for money. Four people walked away very happily from this experience. Nice French Bistro of the old school!

Reviewed 26 May 2016

This restaurant was recommended to us and it did not disappoint. It is located in the centre of Descartes, near the Mairie and very easy to find. The menu was contained, but there was sufficient choice, and the meal was prepared for us, not simply heated up. The standard of cooking was excellent, the wine was good. The service was unobtrusive. What more is there to say?

Reviewed 23 November 2015

Small restaurant run by a lovely young couple. Very welcoming and excellent service. Interesting menu which changes regularly and all fresh local produce. Great combination of flavours, beautiful presentation. Very good value. Definitely to be recommended. We went with a family group for an 80th birthday and everyone was delighted.