“Fabulous Sri Lankan lunch”
Review of Matey Hut

Matey Hut
Ranked #2 of 92 Restaurants in Ella
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We were going to grab dinner here, but the line was not going to work for us. This is a tiny place with seating about 14 people in total. Also not easy to get four people seated together. So we elected to try another place in Ella. So we gave lunch a try the following day and were not disappointed. We completely pigged out and were left super impressed. We had two orders of the standard Sri Lankan four veggie curries and then my girls split a chicken stuffed roti and my wife and I spilt an eggplant stuffed roti. The food was awesome - wonderful fresh ingredients and flavors prepared right in front of us on the open hot plate. We also had milkshakes - I had vanilla and my daughter had chocolate. Very fresh and not heavy - lightly flavored and not too filling. My wife had lemon soda and my other daughter had fresh mango juice. The service was friendly and attentive - this place deserves #1 in Ella from TripAdvisor.

1  Thank Stuart N

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The best spot in town. Avoid the big tourist places for diner just go to this small hut (there is only 12 seats so you might have to wait a bit but it completely worth it)
Parhata are a must and banana fritters

1  Thank biliwitz
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Avoid all the restaurants along the main road and come here for a feed. We were in Ella for 4 days and our hotel recommended this place has he used to work there and assured us the food was good and the place was clean. Boy was he right. Very meal we had was outstanding. Had the curry and rice (twice) parata, kottu and all were so delicious. Big serving. The owner is also super friendly and engaging. They also run a cooking class twice a day (lunch and dinner) about a 10min walk away which we took part in. I think it was 1500 or 2000 rupees and goes for about 2hrs. Class of about 8 people and you all make lunch of about 7 or 8 different dishes. Massive plate of yummy rice and curries for lunch. Would recommend this place and doing the cooking class if you have time

1  Thank Le N
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Small place, lockly we got immediately a table. If it's full wait a moment and you will get a table. Good local food and friendly staff. Both of our dishes where tasty. You should definitely go and eat here.

1  Thank Hans J
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Great food at great prices. Deserves all the rave reviews. We went early around 12 so got a table straight away. Ordered the veg curry and the daal parata - both delicious and very spicy but then we did ask for spicy.
Absolutely worth a visit when in Ella!

1  Thank katythompsonuk