What an awesome stay at Matemwe Retreat. Was the perfect way to start our honeymoon. The Villa we stayed in (Leila) was way beyond what the pictures and stories of others brought across. Spacious, PRIVATE, clean with such amazing views.
With the humidity the real bonus was the private plunge pool on the roof deck. We spent a lot of our time up there either in the pool or lazing in one of the deck chairs. Salim our butler was another highlight. Never intrusive, always a big smile on his face and was there for our every need. Dont expect to do much (or anything) in terms of physical work - they wont let you :-)
We had all our meals (bar the last night Braai (BBQ)) at our Villa. While a set menu was provided, we could chop and change for whatever we wanted. Always good South African Wine available to wash it down with - and the bar bridge is always well stocked.
The snorkelling at Mnemba Atoll (just a few 100m off the coast) is by far the best in Zanzibar. We also did it in Stone Town and in Jambiani but the waters here were so clear and the reef was something else.
The reef walk and kayaking was a nice change from all our lazing at the villa and if you feeling you need to strecth the legs, play some beach soccer with the locals in the afternoon - they are more than happy to include you.
An amazing stay, amazing people (Salim, Abdil, Rashid, Moses and Team) and we will be back one day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy your own private tropical escape at Matemwe Retreat. The four elegant villas that make up the retreat are set high in the palm trees with uninterrupted Indian Ocean views. With its secluded location and dedicated private butler, the retreat is considered one of the most exclusive choices of accommodation on Zanzibar Island. If you are looking for pure escapism, these villas - which combine the spirit of Zanzibar with the highest standards of comfort - were designed for you. The private plunge pool, personal bar and spacious roof terrace with day bed and loungers are so appealing that we would not blame you if you relaxed in your hidden sanctuary for your entire holiday. Echoing the white sand beaches and the changing turquoise hues of the tropical waters, the fully air-conditioned Matemwe Retreat villas are a reflection of their tranquil island surroundings, filled with locally produced materials and furnishings. The ground floor of each villa features a private bar area, cool and airy double bedroom with king-sized bed and en-suite bathroom with double basins, shower and a sunken bathtub with impressive views of the sparkling ocean. Outdoors, impressively comfortable and very private lounge areas invite you to make the most of the tropical climate.The rooftop deck with sparkling blue plunge pool offers panoramic Indian Ocean views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Priceline, lastminute.com.au and Wotif.com so you can book your Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Zanzibar Island