“Royal experience”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Royal experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

In order to escape all the buzz and hectic at home, work and study, and to have quality time with my love, we needed a 'power' holiday (short stay). Since this was our first time to visit Africa, we didn't know what to expect from both the island and the resort. Looking back at our short stay, we can say that the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort (RZBR) delivered all the quality and ambiance for a perfect holiday. One thing we know is that we will go back in the future.

The first thing we noticed was that the reception is open and there are no walls which are blocking your view. To see the sunset form here is a beautiful experience.

The room was large and comfortable. We checked in at night, so after great shower we slept very well. We didn't have any trouble with "hard or soft bed", air-co not working, cold or warm water. Everthing worked just fine. The resort has so much to offer that we didn't turn on the television. To charge your equipment there are European sockets available, which is very convenient.

There is food and drinks available during the whole day. The quality of the food is very good, and kitchen staff puts a lot of effort in the presentation of the food. The resort offers, besides Italian food (since many tourists are from Italy), Zanzibar food as well, such as curry chicken, basmati rice, chapati and so on. To have a very good cocktail, such as Dhawa or Royal Zanzibar, go to mister Baracka at the Coco bar.

Since the majority of the tourists is Italian, and they don't speak English very well, the animation team is focused on them. But I'm sure that everyone is welcome to join them. We could enjoy our self very much.

The resort has a beautiful lounge area with free wifi; you can relax here and check your e-mail.

Personally we think that RZBR is more than a resort for a perfect holiday. Since there are job and market opportunities for the local people, there is a sustainable symbiosis between the resort, local people and market. This can be regarded as a positive chain reaction, which gives the locals a future.

We want to thank the RZBR staff for a perfect and comfortable holiday. Special thanks to the chef executive, Gen. Manager and Manager F&B, mr. Baracka, mr. Hamza, mr.Robert,
mr. Omari and the beach dinner team.

Since this is our experience, we can highly recommend the resort to future travellers.
All we can say about the RZBR: IT'S AMAZING!

2 Thank Vidjai M
Kim B, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear Vidjai,

Thank you so much for your 'amazing' review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort! It was a pleasure hearing your comments during your stay and we very much appreciate your kind words on Trip Advisor.

We will also be happy to pass on your positive remarks to Baracka, Hamza, Robert and Omari, I know they'll be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your vacation so much and I love being able to recognize their contribution.

You'll be pleased to hear that yesterday we received our first order of clove and cinnamon soaps for the guest rooms from a local ladies group that was introduced by the ladies organization that is already supplying the delicious local jams for our breakfast buffet. We will continue to see what items are available here in Zanzibar that offer us opportunities to provide our guests with high quality local products and also offer income opportunities to our neighbors on the island.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

After a much needed break, we headed to the Royal Zanzibar on "week special" as advertised for a get away - much to say we were not disappointed. It is at the northern most tip of the island, an hour's drive from the airport and truly is the most beautiful and peaceful part of the island.

I must commend the resort on their amazing grounds - the garden was beautifully manicured and the room complex spaced out following the contours of the garden onto the beach area. Each room was spacious, clean and tasteful decorated with flowers every night - what a treat! The beach area itself was not crowded, provided safe swimming and some fun off shore snorkelling and diving. One can easily take a stroll starting from Royal's beach at low tide around the eastern side where other resorts/restaurants and dive centers are - very convenient and relaxing.

With 4 pools and various bars, the resort itself has a fun buzz, but, despite being fully booked, we never felt over crowded or that the entertainment areas were too busy. We were on a full board package and wow, the variety of food and drink never ceased to amaze. I must admit, from having traveled to Mauritius and Seychelles previously, the value for money, peace, beauty and overall tranquility of the Royal was beyond expectation, I will be back here again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Megan1472
Kim B, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We're delighted to know that you were so pleased with the food, the grounds and most of all, the atmosphere. Although we offer an animation team, we also like guests to be able to enjoy their vacation the way they wish, it's wonderful to hear that we struck just the right balance for you and your party.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Klerksdorp, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed at the resort in a suite from 18 - 25 August 2012. The suites are very well situated with a beautiful view well decorated and comfortable.We visit Mauritius on a regular basis and compared to hotels in Mauritius the Royal Zanzibar is no more than a 3 star hotel.The reasons are as follow:
When we arrived at the hotel I asked reception If there is guest information in the room and they assured me that anything we want to know about the resort is in the guest information in the room. There was no guest information in the room the television and aircon did not work and there was water leaking from the roof into the room.The floor was dangerously wet for a couple of meters.I contacted reception and second time I phoned they sent someone to assist us. The fellow tried to switch on the aircon and tried to get the television working.He did not succeed and call another guy.I asked about the guest information but he did not understand and I had to explain for couple of minutes what guest information usually looks like.Later he arrived with the guest information but it did not include important information such as the operating times of the restaurants.
The next fellow showed us where to put the room key to switch on the aircon.He could not fix the TV and he said he will report it. I showed him that the dvd didn't work either, there was no AV cable connected to the TV.He fetched a cable but the dvd still did not work.He said that he he would replace the dvd and will be back soon.I contacted reception a few times and they promised every time that the fellow was on his way to our room.The dvd was only fixed after 24 hours, but there was no remote,so I started allover again.After 3 days of promises that someone will come and repair the TV I went to the reception to report the matter again. The girl at reception phoned the maintenance department and she told me that they are on their way to my room.I was not satisfied and wanted to speak to the manager but I was told that she is not available.The other fellow at reception then phoned the maintenance department again and he told me that they are waiting for parts from Kenia and that the satellite will be fixed the next day. The TV did not work for even one minute during our stay. If they told us from the beginning that the TV will be out of order for a few days we would have accepted it but they were not well informed and made false promises.The bed was very hard and we did not sleep well.
The welcoming letter from the manager was written in Italian and we are from South Africa.There was no umbrella in our room and it took a few calls to reception and 3 hours before we received one.Two nights there was not hot water in our room and the maintenance department informed us that we shared a geyser with another room and if they must have used all the hot water.
The things that bother us the most at the spices restaurant is firstly the setting of the tables.Most of the time all the cutlery were not there or there were no salt or pepper pots.It happened twice that our table was occupied by someone else when we returned from the foodhall.Our drinks were removed from the table and we had to move to a new table and order drinks again.There were always something missing or finished.Mostly there were no spoons and/or saucers at the coffee station or the butter or some off the food was finished and there was no one to monitor this because they only become aware of the problem when it was pointed out. At the Coco Bar the staff were very friendly but the service was very slow, and although the restaurant is supposed to be open for snacks till 18h00 they usually close long before 18h00.A few times there was no coffee/expresso machine available.
We assumed that a 5 star resort will see to it that everything will be ready and working when we arrive or at least solve the problems immediately but this was not the case at this resort.

6 Thank DU PREEZ L
Kim B, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems that you encountered during your stay. They are as unacceptable to me as they were to you. First and foremost, the fact that you were unable to speak with me is a matter of great concern. I live on the resort, carry my mobile phone with me 24 hours a day and respond to calls no matter the hour. Even if you asked on one of the rare occasions I was in Stone Town, there is always a manager present on the resort who would be pleased to assist and I would have been happy to speak with you on my return. This has been made clear to the team at the front desk and I trust that this problem will not be repeated.

We are in the process of setting up a log for the front desk so that we can see the concerns that have been raised by guests and ensure that they are successfully rectified in an appropriate amount of time, I'm sorry that this wasn't already in place for your stay, I believe that we would have done a better job if it had been.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. Should you be returning to Zanzibar, I hope that you will contact me directly. We would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back for what I trust would be a much more successful stay.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

After our long flight, the welcome at Royal Zanzibar was just what we needed. The view from the reception, breathtaking and only got better as we walked through the gardens to get to our room. The room was huge and very well decorated. The bathroom: Wow.

During our week stay, the hotel was very busy, probably full, but you always found your quiet corner, if thats what you wanted. Most of the animation was by the beach bar and the beach voleyball in the evenings was great fun.

We had meals both at Speices and Samaki. Compliments to Chef Alex and Franco for the excellent meals. The best part of our dinning experience was the beach party. What a set up. This is a must for all visiting Royal and its at no extra cost. The one thing we missed out on, and have to experience next time, is the romantic lobster diner for two on the beach.

We had a superb holiday at Royal Zanzibar and will return soon. For all those visiting Zanzibar, I would also reccomend the Dolphin Safari (a must) and the Jozani forest if you have some time.

Thank you to the Royal team.

Room Tip: K block was excellent.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Max T
Kim B, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Max,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

I have to agree that the view from reception as you arrive is "breathtaking". I love it and am always pleased that it is such a WOW for our guests. We were also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the dinner on the beach. It's one of our favorite events and a pleasure to hear how much guests like the experience. I have passed your compliments on to Chef's Alex and Franco regarding your meals, they were both happy to hear that you had enjoyed the food so much.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We look forward to your return in the near future.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for five nights on our Honeymoon after we had been on safari. The rooms are nice, not particularly luxurious but tasteful, comfortable, clean and spacious – our room had the largest bathroom and bath I have ever seen. We were all-inclusive and were very happy with the food and drink options available, the pasta and pizza particularly were delicious. Most of the staff are very friendly and helpful, however service is somewhat inconsistent and it can be difficult to get new cutlery or order drinks depending on which waiting staff are about. Service can also be a little slow at the bar directly after dinner when it gets very busy. The lounge area is nicely decorated and there is free wi-fi which was appreciated. The beach and pool area are good but there was loud Europop playing which was not our thing at all as we had come to relax.

Something to be aware of with regard to this hotel is that almost all the guests are Italian and service is very much is geared towards them. As there is are Italian travel reps on site it can feel somewhat that everyone else’s requirements are secondary.

One problem when we arrived was that there was no TV signal. This could not be helped but even after the required part arrived at the hotel we did not have a good signal in our room by our departure. This would not be a big deal normally but the weather was terrible for most of our stay so a bit of TV in the room would have been welcome.

On the first morning when it was pouring we discovered we had no umbrella in our room so we would have been drenched getting to breakfast. We rang reception only to be told there were no umbrellas. On arriving at breakfast we discovered everyone else seemed to have one and a fellow guest told us they had one in the room. This made me cross partially as later I was able to get an umbrella from reception. Also we rang from our room to reception to ask them to contact the tour company who were taking us to Stonetown to make sure they were still coming. I was then told by reception that before they would call for me I would have to come to reception (through the heavy downpour) to sign for the cost of the call. I was really not happy about this. Particularly bearing in mind we had booked the tour via a company advertised in the hotel.

Also be aware when having a massage that although the treatment list says a 60 minute massage what we actually ended up with was 45 minutes and 5 minutes to “relax” i.e. lying on our backs. I enjoyed my massage although my husband did not , however it should be clear that the massage is only 45 minutes and 15 minutes getting dress/undressed and waiting around. Also it was 10 minutes late starting and when we arrived there was no one there to greet us. I was concerned we had got the time or day wrong.

We did have a good holiday but I did not feel particularly “special” here on my Honeymoon. The hotel is more suited for families with children. I also noticed that when we were leaving some other guests were arriving who were also probably on their Honeymoon, they were treated to a full on Massai welcome dance, welcome drink and flowers spelling out their name. We got none of this although we did get a bottle of wine in the room (we are all inclusive so this wasn't really needed). On departure were not even asked if we enjoyed our stay or wished a pleasant flight.

I would not return here again or recommend it which is a shame as it could be such a lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Kim B, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room and the food and beverage. It was a pleasure to share with the kitchen team that you thought the pasta and pizza were delicious.

I hope that you will understand that we were doing everything we could to repair the situation with the television signal, but parts and skilled labour for specialized problems like this are not always readily available on the island. Once we brought the part we thought was necessary for the repairs over from Kenya, it turned out the problem was more complex and a technician also had to be brought in from the mainland to assist.

We appreciate you bringing to our attention the slow service in the bar after dinner. We have made a small change to the schedule that will place one more waiter in there at that time to ensure that the service does not slow down.

I was very disappointed to hear of the more serious problems that you encountered with the reception and spa. I have spoken with each of the department heads and agreed that we need to do much better in each of their areas than we did during your visit. There is simply no excuse for making you walk through the rain to make a phone call, nor to make you wait for a massage or short change you on the length of it. We have taken your comments very seriously and made changes to some of our internal procedures to ensure we do better in the future.

I hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for these problems. We truly want every guest, especially our honeymooners, to have a memorable and relaxing stay and are disappointed when we fail in this goal.

Should you be returning to Zanzibar, please feel free to contact me directly. We would be pleased to welcome you back for what we trust would be a much better experience.

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
0.8 km away
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#10 of 17 in Nungwi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,008 reviews

Been to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!