“A NIGHTMARE!”

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We booked this hotel after reading all the good comments. When we arrived, we read the comments again to make sure it was the same hotel.. And unfortunately, it was!

The location is the worst you can find in Nungwi. After walking all along the beach, we realised that the Z Hotel is just in front of the boats station. As soon as you leave the small "private" beach of the hotel (around 50 sqm and at 70 metres from the water..), all the beach boys bother you to sell their trips, drugs or other. Not heavenly AT ALL. The "pool" is VERY small and the sunbeds are at 10cm from each other... The sunbeds on the beach are removed at 6pm SHARP, so don't leave your belongings on them after that time because you will find them on the GROUND. Plus, if you wish to go for a swim don't leave your belongings either. We once left for 10 minutes, came back and a member of the staff was taking our towels saying that we were not using them and since they don't have enough towels, they needed them! What kind of hotel is this?!

Staff.. not friendly! The worst we experienced in Tanzania and not professional. They are not cheerful and this is something very disappointing since the people in Tanzania are usually SO nice and smiling all the time.

Breakfast.. so many insects on the food... the water for the tea is cold... every morning we had to turn it on and wait for 20 minutes for it to be hot. The eggs and pancakes are floating in oil. AND above all, if you wish a coffee (espresso, americano or other) you need to PAY EXTRA. That's a good one for an "included breakfast".

Room... Small and uncomfortable bed. No duvet, just a bed sheet. Bathroom - not able to have a shower (not a joke!!), no pressure, no hot water..!! We called reception everyday to fix it... a guy came everyday but still didn't work. Also, when it rains, there plenty of water in the room..

No gym. No activities organised by the hotel. Powercuts all the time. Wifi is very bad and does't work when the weather is bad.

Price... totally overpriced! Don't worth it at all. For that price, we were expecting a very high standard hotel. Even for half of the price, we wouldn't recommend it at all. Drinks and food prices are the highest we had in Tanzania (and especially Zanzibar) and really not good.

You have to book 3 nights minimum to stay at this hotel...

We complained on the second day about the hotel and the only answer we got from the general manager - a British woman - was "if it wasn't you, I would have rented out the room to someone else, so I cannot do anything for you". WOW, what a good service for a hotel!!!

It totally ruined our stay in Zanzibar - so many bad memories. AVOID this hotel, there are so many others and so much cheaper, don't waist your time and money there.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ania L
There are newer reviews for The Z Hotel Zanzibar

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Nive hotel with a perfect beach. The rooms are a good size and well maintained. Had a balcony with an amazing view.

Staff is very friendly but is in need of training and standards. Food is good but needs more attention to detail and difficult to understand the concepts of the restaurants - they want to many things.

All in all a great stay, thank you.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Stayed here after our safari in Tanzania, quite a drive from the airport but well worth it. Warm friendly greeting from front desk and shown to our room, yes a bit on the small size but you are only going to sleep here! Had read previous comments about noise from other bedrooms due to the thinness of the walls but we had no problems at all and there were people next door. Lovely bathroom! Service in the restaurants was a bit hit and miss but they had just opened for the season and there were a lot of new staff so understandable, albeit a bit irritating at times. We stayed on a half board basis and would recommend this, the food in Saruche is gorgeous and most nights could not even manage a dessert! Breakfasts were lovely and we also bought snacks from the cafe which were lovely and fresh. There is a lovely beach area right outside the hotel and at low tide, (well as low as it gets, which is not far) you can walk for ages. There is also a walkway behind the hotel where you could walk to other restaurants and hotels. I strongly recommend taking the sunset cruise with the hotel, we had the dhow all to ourselves with drinks and nibbles, it was amazing. Happy hour on the roof top terrace is great with fantastic sunsets. Special thanks to Julie and Nisa, who really looked after us. I would recommend Z Hotel for relaxation after a safari or indeed just a holiday.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the Sea are great!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Situated in the heart of Nungwi beach near amenities. Friendly staff with a positive attitude. Breakfast is very good, even food for lunch and dinner, not much variety of pasta. Very clean and peaceful especially in the evenings during sunsets. Great hotel to relax especially after Safari experience.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

I booked this hotel almost a year in advance, and got good information from the hotel about my arrival, and what to expect and what I should do before and on the arrival.
I did travel alone, as I usually do. This is absolutely something to suggest to people out there. The only minus about going alone, is when you get the feeling of just being that, alone, which usually occurs sitting on a dining table without talking to a person. However this hotel didn't let me get that feeling. The staff always gave me a good experience, and a great laugh at times,it felt like I was in this awesome family. The hotel itself is a complex with two restaurants, one café and even a giftshop. So if you just want to stay at the hotel, you've got everything there,i ended spending most the days at the hotel and eat there. But if you want to go somewhere else there is a short walk to some other places a bit north.

The hotel is closed of, and there is always a security guard watching over which worked. Only annoyance is people walking back and forth all the time at the beach, trying to sell stuff, it was sometimes hard taking the short walk from the pool, down to the beach without getting stopped every 5 meters,but then again that does give you the travel experience,at least for a norwegian like me.

What made me travel to Nungwi? I do not know, friends of mine have asked me how I got the idea. I didn't even know about Zanzibar until I suddenly sat there with my tickets. So if you are the kind like me, just pointing on a map and going on a trip,I'd suggest Zanzibar, Nungwi and Tanzania to you at highest,WHAT A LOVELY PEOPLE!! I'm definitely going back maybe already next year.

Only thing I have to set a finger on about the hotel, is that no matter where you have the room,you end up looking straight into Palm trees, and although that is tropic and cute itself, it might take a tad much view from the rooms.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
0.8 km away
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 17 in Nungwi
1.5 km away
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!