“Quirky Hotel”

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Stayed here after our safari in Tanzania, quite a drive from the airport but well worth it. Warm friendly greeting from front desk and shown to our room, yes a bit on the small size but you are only going to sleep here! Had read previous comments about noise from other bedrooms due to the thinness of the walls but we had no problems at all and there were people next door. Lovely bathroom! Service in the restaurants was a bit hit and miss but they had just opened for the season and there were a lot of new staff so understandable, albeit a bit irritating at times. We stayed on a half board basis and would recommend this, the food in Saruche is gorgeous and most nights could not even manage a dessert! Breakfasts were lovely and we also bought snacks from the cafe which were lovely and fresh. There is a lovely beach area right outside the hotel and at low tide, (well as low as it gets, which is not far) you can walk for ages. There is also a walkway behind the hotel where you could walk to other restaurants and hotels. I strongly recommend taking the sunset cruise with the hotel, we had the dhow all to ourselves with drinks and nibbles, it was amazing. Happy hour on the roof top terrace is great with fantastic sunsets. Special thanks to Julie and Nisa, who really looked after us. I would recommend Z Hotel for relaxation after a safari or indeed just a holiday.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the Sea are great!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Situated in the heart of Nungwi beach near amenities. Friendly staff with a positive attitude. Breakfast is very good, even food for lunch and dinner, not much variety of pasta. Very clean and peaceful especially in the evenings during sunsets. Great hotel to relax especially after Safari experience.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

I booked this hotel almost a year in advance, and got good information from the hotel about my arrival, and what to expect and what I should do before and on the arrival.
I did travel alone, as I usually do. This is absolutely something to suggest to people out there. The only minus about going alone, is when you get the feeling of just being that, alone, which usually occurs sitting on a dining table without talking to a person. However this hotel didn't let me get that feeling. The staff always gave me a good experience, and a great laugh at times,it felt like I was in this awesome family. The hotel itself is a complex with two restaurants, one café and even a giftshop. So if you just want to stay at the hotel, you've got everything there,i ended spending most the days at the hotel and eat there. But if you want to go somewhere else there is a short walk to some other places a bit north.

The hotel is closed of, and there is always a security guard watching over which worked. Only annoyance is people walking back and forth all the time at the beach, trying to sell stuff, it was sometimes hard taking the short walk from the pool, down to the beach without getting stopped every 5 meters,but then again that does give you the travel experience,at least for a norwegian like me.

What made me travel to Nungwi? I do not know, friends of mine have asked me how I got the idea. I didn't even know about Zanzibar until I suddenly sat there with my tickets. So if you are the kind like me, just pointing on a map and going on a trip,I'd suggest Zanzibar, Nungwi and Tanzania to you at highest,WHAT A LOVELY PEOPLE!! I'm definitely going back maybe already next year.

Only thing I have to set a finger on about the hotel, is that no matter where you have the room,you end up looking straight into Palm trees, and although that is tropic and cute itself, it might take a tad much view from the rooms.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2017

This is one of the few hotels that has an area on the beach with sunbeds on one of the best beaches in the world and we felt safe having morning and evening strolls to collect shells and swim
Food was excellent and plenty of choice Our room was a basic garden view one with glimpses of the sea and pool all had large veranda's but west facing got little sun so there's no point in paying a lot more for beach side rooms as you cant use the terrace if you want the sun
Very friendly staff
there was never any problem from the beach sellers who were always keen to chat but not forceful in selling there wares
The only downside was the sunbeds around the pool were not adjustable and were set in an uncomfortable angle
Make sure you reserve a sunbed early in the morning as they soon go by people putting things on them to reserve them
Bar service is a bit slow but cocktails are good value especially cocktail hour four for 12 dollars
There's a nice chill out room upstairs with computers but no library which was a shame
One annoying thing is you have to keep logging into the network each day as it doesn't remember your passwords
we had a great stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary

Room Tip: wouldnt choose a ground floor room as near to the pool and although theres garden between people wal...
Reviewed 29 July 2017

Spent four nights at the Z Hotel (July 9-12) after a safari on the mainland, and we found it to be as relaxing and professionally run as we had hoped, though there were some signs that the resort identity that Zanzibar is trying to cultivate is still in its infancy. The room was extremely clean and the air conditioner worked so well that we often had to turn it off to keep from freezing. The view from the balcony was just as advertised -- the picturesque blue Indian Ocean and the white sand beaches. The rooftop bar was so tranquil and they use mineral water to make their ice so we kept the mojitos, tequila sunrises, etc. coming. Their flagship restaurant, Saruche, offered elegant dinners on a deck just feet from the water or literally on the beach.
We had dinner there twice and found everything superbly cooked. Their other restaurant, Cinnamon, had similarly well-prepared dishes for the one lunch we had there. A big bonus we found out was that a walkway linked the Z to several other resorts, allowing us very easy access to at least 10 other stand-out restaurants. Zanzibar is still a developing area outside of the actual resorts. On two of the four nights power blinked out before backup generators kicked in and the roads through Nungwi had potholes that were more like craters that had to be navigated. But those were the most minor of inconveniences and we would come back to the Z again, no question about that.

1  Thank John B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
0.8 km away
ZanziResort
#4 of 172 in Zanzibar Island
1.5 km away
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!