“Horseriding - the High Country Pub Trail”
Review of The Cardrona

The Cardrona
Ranked #1 of 61 Tours in Wanaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: First class scenic horse trekking and quad bike tours of the stunning Cardrona Valley, South Island, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 December 2014

Easily one of my favourite experiences in NZ. Beautiful scenery on the ride, with excellent commentary on the history of the area and the layout of the land. My husband and I thought it a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and visit the Cardrona pub, something recommended by the locals. Very glad we did, the atmosphere inside and out is worth the visit. I could recommend the Cardrona ale as a easy drinking choice!
We also had the opportunity to trot (a short bit of canter as well) twice which was memorable for me, I find it hard to find trail riding places that allow a pace faster than a walk. I loved it that my horse Simon had some character and was responsive, all the horses seemed quite happy which is also a good sign.
If you get the chance to do this ride during December, the wildflowers, including lupin, elderflower and rosehip are spectacular while in flower.

All reviews
"my partner"
in 29 reviews
"mulled wine"

Reviewed 19 December 2014

Professionel and very well organized riding tour. ( My husband prefered the quad bike ;-) ) It was a pleasure to experience the horses - healthy and with a good temper. Kelly told us the history about Cardrona area, which was interesting.

Reviewed 19 December 2014 via mobile

A truly spectacular experience. We were choosing between horse trekking and quad bikes and decided to go for the latter. Sean was a wonderful guide and took us to the top of the mountain to enjoy tremendous views from above. 10/10 - highly recommended!

Reviewed 17 December 2014

Green Spot advised me to go horseback riding near Wanaka, I went on the Internet, spotted the Cardrona and booked a trek. It was just the two of us, the owner, me and the horses. They were very well behaved and sure on their feet.The scenery is awesome and I could enjoy it to my heart's content because of these gentle animals. If you get a chance do do a trek with Cardrona, don't hesitate, TAKE IT, you will not be sorry.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 December 2014

We had a great time at Cardona!
Kelly was super responsive and helpful as I was arranging for a family of 9 to go on the quad. She accomodated our last min changes.
When we arrived in the evening, Sean was all ready with all the 9 quads and took us on the ride of our lives! most of us were beginners and Sean was attentive and ensured that we were all safe at every part of the ride.

We super enjoyed it and came back another day for horse riding with Kelly and my husband went for another 2.5 hours quad ride which was well worth the money we spent!

Thank you! :)