3,966 results
All reviews lagoon pool chi spa beach bar and grill kids club ocean wing banana boat family room fiji time putt putt beach massage family holiday village tour games room kids eat free main pool ground floor fijian resort
Reviewed 14 January 2011

This hotel is the worse i've stayed in ever. People that say hotel is OK are obviously not well travelled and have no expectations. We DO if we are spending over $aud200 a night.
1. We were sick for 3 days with bug vomiting and diarrohea after eating at the Lagoon Buffet. Had to call local Fijian doctor whilst my 5 year old and 1 year old voilently vommiting for days. Hotel off course took no responsibility. This was 3rd day after we arrived. We were meant to stay 14 nights... we checked out after 5 and stayed at The Sofitel ! Flies all over the buffet and nothing protecting salads and fruit like glass over the top to stop flies sticking to fruit etc ...This should be mininum standards of health and hygiene
2. Manager was so rude and refused to give us our money back until I told him I was in travel industry then couldnt do enough for me and gave full refund !
3. No clean bedsheets so we were sleeping in vomitted sheets for days. I kept calling to change sheets but they didnt have any.
4. No pool towels for 3 days. Get out of pool to be told no towels so dripping wet ! Remember this is a resort and spa ?!
5. later found out and manager admitted that washing machines had broken hense no sheets or towels.
6. Kids Club. No airconditioning, Bored Fijian women lazing around the place as they were so tired and worn out. My kids were so bored there. I called to find out if any activities and there were not.
7. Food was just awful. Cesar Salad was healthiest thing on the menu. When I got it , the bacon was just pieces of white fat... hardly any red and completely inedible, old lettuce, small portion. Everything on menu was burgers, wedges, fish n chips. I was struggling to find my kids what to eat that was at least a little bit healthy and not drenched in oil.
8. Rooms were so dated, We moved twice as no bath and tiny rooms. Old TV , tatty old furnititure. Not what I expect from $200 per night 4.5 star !

I could go on and on and on....

When we moved to the Sofitel we felt like we died and gone to heaven ! Champagne Breakfast, clean and healthy buffet. Amazing kids club my children were there everyday. Great food etc etc ... This is what I expect from a 4.5 - 5 star !
It was so much cheaper too. SHANGRI LA IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF. I feel sorry for the exploited Fijians taken from the villages to train as chefs , house keepers etc etc but paid peanuts and I also feel sorry for us guests who are getting so rippped off but yet some travellers dont realise it !

The Shangri La chain is injecting money into new properties like London and Paris but totally neglecting the Fijian. Owned by greedy business men !

• Trip type: Travelled with family
11  Thank Stollar
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We stayed at the Shangri-La from the 27/12/10 - 3/01/11. We had no problems checking in we were shown to our room straight away with a friendly bell man. We were a little disappointed with what our room looked like but you have to remember it is Fiji and we our selfs have been spoiled with staying at some beautiful hotels. Also remember you really have a room to sleep and store your belongs in. The bed was excellent we so looked forward to sleeping in it at the end of a busy day. We had included the meal package breakfast, lunch and tea. The Lagoon Terrace is what I would say is the main restaurant. It's were the kids eat free and were the meal package is include. ( were as if you ate at the other restaurants you got credit towards your meal of $30FJD for lunch and $60FJD for
tea and you would pay the difference if you went over) The breakfast was great plenty to choose from the buffet. Lunch we ate at a few of the restaurants and they were fine. Tea was what we liked the best we ate at the Lagoon Terrace most nights as we thought the buffet theme nights were good and the food was always good. So no complaints on the
food!! We came to Fiji because we love to snorkel and to lay on nice beaches and the beach at the Resort was just fine. Palm trees were just lovely and there were so many fish and starfish in the water it was just beautiful and the water was so warm. Also look out for tiny little hermit crabs on the beach there so cute. The pools were fine we only swam in 2 of them the main one were the beach is and were most families hang out and the adults only pool. We were there for New Years Eve and had a four course meal at the Beach Bar and grill it was lovely only complaint is the mozzies but that's not there fault. They had a spectacular display of fireworks and the words Shangri-La 2011 on fire on the water it was just a lovely night. We had hired a car which was good as we were able to leave and do what we please when we wanted. We had a good time in all only real complaint is a few times we didn't have bath towels and called for them a few times to bring some but took 4
hrs. Lucky we packed our own beach towels. Also service is quit slow but I wouldn't work my bum off for $3 an hour and what they say about Fiji time is true every thing is slow. If I was to return to Fiji I would stay here again if I brought our 2 children along if not we would stay on a island or 2. Also I have read other peoples reviews on this place and I can't believe some of the crap that some have complained about. Like I said at the start it's Fiji don't expect the best.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mkristiansen
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I am bitterly disappointed by my stay at the Shangri-La. It is no where near the standard that it should be. Housekeeping was abysmal, everything I read from other reviews does not surprise me at all. There were never clean towels (bathroom and after lunch by the pool) they would take our sheets of the bed but have nothing to replace them with, and they simply didn't seem to care.
The room itself was lovely, but that kind of fades after days of no cleaning.
The concierge was a disaster, poorly managed and incompetent.
A man on our floor with a pram had requested multiple times to be moved to a room which did not require stairs to get to - they just never did anything about it.
The food was a very high standard in the restaurants, I was never disappointed with any of the meals. Those people complaining about the price are just the bogans who seemed to be everywhere around this resort. The food is not expensive for the quality or location.
If you expect good service, polite guests and no screaming children, DO NOT STAY HERE.

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank ScubaSally77
Reviewed 7 January 2011

loved fiji although it was a bit expensive and you could pay cash only a room tab. only other bad thing i'd say is that it was our honeymoon and we didn't get anything special eg: free bottle of wine. the people were great and the place was great. the food was great. wouldn't go back tomorrow as it was quite expensive but i would go back again

Date of stay: December 2010
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2011

There are so many bad reviews of this hotel that it saddens me.....perhaps it is because I have been coming here with my family for years and know the place inside out......perhaps it is because I think people are trying to compare apples and oranges and not just letting themselves BE when they get to Fiji. If you can't do that then don't come to Fiji because it probably isn't the place for you.
Yes the Fijian is old and tired in places, it is the oldest resort in Fiji and the biggest.....it is like the Sydney Harbour bridge except they never seem to be able to get to the other end before the elements or some natural disaster strikes and all the maintenance plans go skew. With all that in mind there is so much choice at the hotel - great bars to get drinks at, plenty of eating choice both in the hotel and outside, three pools (one for adults that is fab), lots of little beach nooks to escape to, a choice of rooms to suit all pockets, the fab spa, nightly entertainment, beautiful ocean views from EVERY room and none of the rooms are in the hills looking at the water in the distance. There are enough staff to meet your every whim - yet you can have lots of peace and privacy. For kids there is so much to do that I NEVER see mine unless they want to eat or drink and even then they are very self sufficient.

If you like a cocktail you must visit Sue at the Bilo Bar, Mani at the Takali and then Eleni at the Black Marlin Bar. Takali has the best view for breakfast, lunch is pretty good anywhere and the Kalevu is lovely if you want a classy dinner. I don't think prices are that bad compared to resorts in Aust and the value of the Aussie dollar makes it even that much more affordable at the moment.

What makes the Fijian? Other than it's location is the staff - they are amazing and there are so many of them. Take to time to smile and say Hi, get to know them, hear their stories. You will be rewarded with so much more than great service and their fabulous smiles, but a better understanding of what makes the Fijian people tick.

Remember The Fijian is not a 5 star asian resort or city hotel - it is a big, rambling property with lots of history. Relax when you get on the plane - order a Singatoka Sling when you get there and relax.......you can't go wrong.

• Trip type: Travelled with family