“To Expensive-Felt Ripped Off”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Reviewed 14 September 2010

The first time I went to the Shangri La with my family was great, really enjoyed our stay and thought to ourselves we will come back again. Woooo big mistake! The price of food has skyrocketed, (ate at the Gecko across the road, nice food and cheaper) and felt their had been a general deterioration with the place. We purchased four mince pies on arrival at the kiosk by the Lagoon pool as our room was not ready, phew $50. This place is designed like a well oiled subtle money grabbing machine while offering 3 star value. We won,t be going back.

6  Thank ItchyFeet010
Write a ReviewReviews (3,752)

Reviewed 14 September 2010

We had a great time at the Shangri la Resort and Spa. When it comes to rating or reviewing a resort it depends all on your expectations and your wants and needs from a holiday destination. From my experience I would debate the 5* status but that would be because yes, the rooms are a little dated and they could be a little cleaner but that did not determine whether we had a good time or not. We were looking for a relaxing holiday with our children (5 year old and 2/12 year old twins) and it ticked that box. What they say about Fiji time is correct; things do move at a much more relaxed pace but as the old saying says, “When in Rome”.

The pools were great, consisting of a babies pool suited to littlies under two and a larger pool that caters for children from 2 to 22. Whilst there are a large number of children around the pools are big enough to cater for everyone. The recliners around the pool and on the beach are comfortable however some people feel the need to reserve them from the crack of dawn so my tip would be come early if you have a day around the pool planed.

The beach of lovely for the little ones to play on and to swim in, the water is nice and clear and the fish swim around your legs. BEWARE of the sea snakes, they are around and while the resort will play them down but they are dangerous HOWEVER they are traditionally scared of noise and as people make lots of it they are unlikely to come anywhere near you. If you do stumble across one by accident either swimming or paddling in a kayak it will take off quickly. (They are very fast in the water but very slow on land)

Many people ask about the meal package I would say it depends. We are not HUGE lunch eaters so to have a meal package was not worth it. To buy the package once you arrive (I believe it costs less if you book and pay prior to leaving home) will cost you $F100 per person per day (about $A60 each). What you get for that is effectively $F90 per day credit because your breakfast is included already and how that works is as follows -

Under the meal package everything you eat at the Lagoon Buffet is free (not drinks, they are extra and very expensive, a post mix diet coke was $F6)
If you choose not to eat at the Lagoon Buffet then for lunch you get a $F30 credit that you can use at the other restaurants or cafes BUT not the take away outlets. For dinner you get a $F60 credit each to use at the other restaurants thus = $F90 yet you are paying $F100 per day so as you can see it may not be worth it unless you plan to eat at the buffet for all of your meals (which cost $F75 per adult)
There is a fantastic little place called Tomlous in the next village that serves very fresh seafood and great curries and all very cheap. Taxi rides there only cost $F10 return.

We had a wonderful babysitter named Kini L who looked after our twins so if you are looking for a babysitter I can recommend her. She took them to dinner, the beach, played games with them and even got them into bed and asleep for us.

The kids club was really good, all of the staff were very friendly and the kids all get along well. They have scheduled activities every day that they have on display so you will know what they will be doing. The sessions run from 9am till 12pm and then from 1pm till 4.30pm. They also run a night session from 6.30 till 9.30pm where they play games until 8pm and then they watch a movie. There is no need to book you just turn up.

If you want to book any tours or external activities then I suggest you do it early in your trip as they can book out early and as it is peek time it is likely. We book a Jet Ski tour that was cancelled because of rough seas and we couldn’t re-book because we ran out of time.
Same goes for the day spa, book early to avoid disappointment (Highly recommend the stone massage!)

Shopping at the resort can get very expensive so I would recommend going to the village next to the resort (it costs $F10 return) to stock up on supplies. To give you a example a packet of potato chips at the resort cost $F7.99 and from the village supermarket $F3.99 and a 600ml of Pepsi Max at the resort cost $F7.00 and at the village supermarket it cost $F2.00) We stocked up on snacks for the kids to have between meals such as biscuits, rice crackers, noodles, bread and fruit (we were also a bit cheeky and took a few things off the breakfast buffet such as bread rolls, jam, bananas and little pancakes)

Checking in to the resort does take time, all of the staff (2 or 3 of them) work very much on Fiji time. Hopefully you can resist the urge to jump the counter and complete your own check in. Expect it to take the best part of 45-60 mins. There is a kid’s play area near the entrance to help keep the kids occupied during this time. The porter staff are all lovely and they will assist you with your bags and children.
Once you have finished checking in you will be shown to your room and depending on where it is located you may be taken to it in one of the golf carts.

We stayed in an Ocean Family room, the room it’s self was not overly large but honestly we didn’t spend a great deal of time in it apart from sleeping. The sleeping arrangements were a little challenging at times because the kids had two sofas and a trundle bed to sleep on which butted right up against out king size bed. So essentially we were all bunked in together in not an overly large room.
One thing I will say is the king size bed is ridiculously soft; they have a 7 inch pillow top thing on top of the mattress and for someone with a bad back sleeping on this would be outrageous. Hubby and I ended up putting the kids in our bed and we slept of the sofas.
With all of that said though they kids did enjoy playing on the grass out the front of our room overlooking the ocean.

Taking food for your flight is something I also recommend because it can become very expensive buying food onboard. (A sandwich, drink and a bag of chips costs $14. If you x that by 5 people that is $70!)
We took our own chips, muesli bars, biscuits and sweets (lollipops are great to give to kids for take off and landing to help prevent ear problems)

I hope this helps, enjoy your holiday!! I would love to hear what you thought when you get back

Regards

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
19  Thank atabitha
Reviewed 14 September 2010

From the moment we stepped out of our shuttle, I was blown away by the stndrd of this resort!!! I went with my husband and two boys, aged 7 and 10, who fell in love with this hotel as well. from the pool to the beaches, the restaurants to the night club, it had everything and more than we had expected.

9 holes of golf for the husband, mini golf and kids club for the boys, and relaxing massages on the beach. We stayed in a lagoon family room, which was perfect as it had a king sized bed for the adults and two very decent sized day beds for the boys. The rooms have been given a face lift, which was very well done for a 40+ year old resort, and found that we wanted for nothing in the rooms either!! We also travelled with other families and they stayed in rooms close by, and they also raved on about the quality of the hotel. Right out the back door was a huge grassed lawn which came in handy in the afternoons, when the grown ups needed a well deserved drink and the kids could kick a ball or play games. Just past the lawn was the lagoon pool, which also did not disappoint!!! A few steps after that was the amazing beach.....I would recommemnd snorkelling or taking out one the small sailing crafts they offered at small cost.

Kids club was fantastic!!! The kids were really impressed with the activities (mini olympics, crab races and fish feeding to name a few!!) and the staff were awesome with kids of all ages. Any children under 4 had to have a nanny or adult with them, but I would highly recommend using a nanny/babysitter as they will treat your child with such love and watch them like a hawk!!

The buffet breakfast and dinners were unbelievable, and so varied. Excellent value for we included all our meals in our package, which entitled us to the breakfast buffet, $30 for lunch and $75 for dinner, which could be credited to any restaurant in the resort. Kids may pay a few extra dollars for meals ($5-$12 AUD only!!!) but it is so worth it. I would recommend the Kalevu Restaurant near the Adults only pool for a quiet romantic dinner, as they have a fantastic seafood and asian a-la-carte menu.

Highly recommended is the Fire Dancing show at the resort, which comes with the most sumptuous buffet I have ever seen. The Sigatoka River Safari is not to be missed, as there is a jet boat ride down the river for the thrill seekers, and a visit to a village, where they feed you till you bust, and dance with the kids and locals. See Mun for all your tour and out-of-resort wants and needs, he is fantastic!!! And he will take care of you really well.

This was my second time to Fiji, first at the Shangri-La, but it has easily become my new favourite place in the world. I would highly recommend this resort for families, friends wanting a trip together and those who are looking for a fun time!!!

7  Thank ScottnAshley
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I've stayed at the shangri-la twice with two completely different experiences. The first time was in feb 07, my friend was married at the chapel at the resort, absolutely picture perfect!!! The reception had it's moments though. It was suppose to be on the beach but there was a chance of rain so it was moved in their hall I cant remember the name but it's just a massive building. Alcohol was brought out by waiters but the problem was you were always searching for a waiter and I'm pretty sure my friend was overcharged for the booze but there was no way of proving that there wasn't that much drank, but the wedding was absolutely beautiful, check out the chaple pics, the choir was awesome so I would recommened the weddings there. We got sucked in the first time we went as the staff made out they were over worked and underpaid, so when our group left which was about 40 people they were spoiled. The prices the first time were reasonable I remember we got a lot of club sandwiches room service which was about $18 with chips and salad, and drinks and food elsewhere was also good, I think the buffet was a little dear then though. On the second time round we went in october 08 and it was completely differen't. My friend who made friends with one of the nannys last time was hounded for money and she wanted her to be her unborn childs god mother which would mean my friend would have to fork out money for the child, weird considering this lady had only met my friend once before. They were all crying poor this time yet every single fijian at the resort had a mobile phone and was on it constantly even when providing a service like the hair brading, what an uncomfortable experience that was, the girls chatted in their own language the whole time laughing away when they could speek fluent english when they wanted to. The price for food this time was ridiculous i think it was $30 for the exact same club sandwich we loved so much the first time and the restaurant above the breaky spot cant remember the name again sorry was sooooo expensive and when we questioned the price hike, they told us it was beacuse of importing it...from Australia we were paying something like $50 for an aussie steak...no thanks we went to gekkos across the road which was nice. We brought over a suitcase full of toys and fun stuff for the children at a local villiage which was a great experience, but was ruined at the end as the cheif pretty much asked us for money which we obliged as we did have a great time there it was a shame we felt we had to pay them. We went for a massage at the beach hut not the day spa i did hear the day spa was magic but a little to pricy for us with all the food costs. At the beach massage it was $80 for an hour massage, and the girls doing the massage absolutely hated their job and that came through strong as there was no effort put in and two of the girls were whispering to each other the whole time, also ignored my friends request to keep away from a certain painful area of hers wasn't impressed nothing like getting a massage from someone who is loothing you. The resort is lovely the pools are great and there are some lovely people there the breaky was awesome as well but in one year it felt like fiji went so money hungry and forgot their beautiful hospitality they showed us the first time we went. I don't recommend staying there.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2010

My husband and I and our two children, 7 and 2, spent 10 nights at the Shangri La in the Lagoon view room. Whilst it wasn't spacious, it was big enough considering we didn't spend any time in there except to sleep so it was suitable. Great room location for families. We took the full board package and mostly ate at the Lagoon Terrace Restaurant or Takali and found the meals exceptional, considering it was in such large supply, and had a good range of foods to suit every taste. We went there not interested in kids club however our 7 year old fell in love with it and wanted to go most days. The staff at kids club, Alfred, Rosa and Livie were wonderful! Through the kids club we took our kids on a day tour to a local village/boarding school which was really interesting. Our 7 year old loved the banana boat rides ($15FD) a ride and had plenty of resort run activities (soccer, volleyball, cricket, water volleyball etc) to keep him busy as well as kayaking and swimming. We went to the fire dancing/traditional feast at the resort which was fantastic and worth the money however we also went to the firewalking/feast and it was very disappointing and difficult to keep the childrens attention. We went on the day tour on the Sigatoka River Safari and although it was costly (approx $560FD) for the family, it was worth it! It includes a Jet Boat safari up the river for 25 mins and to a traditional village inland.
Staff service and friendliness was exceptional and you couldnt fault it.
We were lucky enough to go to a local Rugby major semi final match during our stay, the trip organised through the resort and we had a fabulous time - it was an experience not to miss!
We visited Sigatoka and unless you are going there for supplies, there is really nothing exciting there.
My husband and I had hour long massages ($80FD per hour) in the beach bure, highly recommended.
We had an unforgettable, relaxing time and we will definitely be returning for two weeks next year! It was extremely affordable and very child friendly!
We were concerned by some of the reviews we had read on here before we left, but we were impressed and it certainly exceeded our expectations.
As a tip, ask at the lobby for a taxi to take you to the the local village ($10FD) to purchase beer (Fiji Gold $55FD for 24) and snacks. The shops in the resort are expensive for snacks and alcohol. They do have a reasonable range of wine/spirits at the resort shop to purchase but very over priced. We travelled with our own wine from Australia to the limit of 2.25 litres per adult.
Also, if you are travelling with children, its important to note that most taxis around fiji do not have insurance. If you attend the lobby and request a taxi at the Coral Sun desk, their taxis are similar in price but have insurance, something we felt was important.
The free internet in each room was very handy.
If you have children and are planning to visit a school, donations are warmly welcomed of sporting equipment, books, pencils and all sorts of childrens things. We took a soccer ball, rugby ball (not inflated of course) and other school equipment with us to take and the children got so much out of it.

7  Thank jemahm
11.1 km away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
14.6 km away
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!