“Absolutely Fantastic”

Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Travelling with two children (13 and 10) and an elderly mother (80) there was bound to be some dilemma's, and thankfully we found none at the Fijian.

From the seamless check-in, arriving at 9.30am and getting the room within 20 minutes, to being able to take longer check-out at no extra cost....this resort was excellent.

The food we found plentiful, and delicious. One note, they only set out two coffee cups on the table, irrespective of the number of adults that may want coffee/tea. No dramas when asking for additional, but we found this a little odd!

The kids found the option of purchasing whatever they liked from the icecream bure next to the main pool fantastic - didnt have to carry cash because you just charged it to the room, and I wasnt hasseled with getting up every half hour to get a drink or icecream.

Shell market down by the Bilo Bar we found a little expensive when compared to Fiji Market in nearby Sigatoka, however, because we knew it was going directly to the locals we kind of just sucked it up!

Absolutely, absolutely consider doing the Sigatoka River Safari to a local Fijian village. From the jet boat ride into the highlands, to the kava welcoming ceremony, feast and dancing, it was a very moving and emotional experience. My two kids spent quite some time playing with the local children, giving them fire-lift rides and my daughter even got to ride a horse bareback. One of the boys bought up their horse from the field for her to have a turn....I cannot speak highly enough of this experience. When it came to the farewell song, I had tears in my eyes. I had only known these people for a couple of hours!!!!

Jack's of Fiji within the resort stocks all the souveniers you could want, although do consider taking a short drive into Sigatoka. The Fiji Market on the main street opposite the Sigatoka River has a greater selection of goods and clothing. You will have no dramas getting them through customs. The stores stamp the receipts and as long as you declare them, no problems!

The firedancing show at the resort was only excellent value for money. The kids were entranced and so were the adults.
Overall, a thoroughly worthwhile and pleasurable experience. The staff were so welcoming and made this holiday very memorable. 10 out of 10 Shangri-La.... We are already planning our next trip back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank Zoe5769
Write a ReviewReviews (3,750)

Reviewed 28 August 2008

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Fijian on our way back from Plantation Island Resort. I am so glad we made this choice, it just topped off what was a fantastic holiday.
OUr kids are 3 and 1 so the Fijian had everything we were looking for.
We originally booked into a 1 brm suite, as I am pretty keen to not share a room...my little ones are not good sleepers! However on checkin we were thrilled to find out we had been upgraded free of charge to a 2 bedroom beach bure. There are only 4 on the island and they are deluxe with a capital D. We had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, ample living and dining and a kitchenette. Our bure opened out onto grass, trees and a hammock plus 4 sunloungers, and then imediately onto the beach and lagoon, where tropical fish swam right up to you. It was to die for.
Kids eat free and ours certainly enjoyed the buffet from 5.30pm, whilst we had a cocktail and watched the sun go down. The staff were more than accommodating by always having a high chair ready. Our son has food allergies and they catered so well for him. We commented to restaurant staff that there was little he could eat at lunch and he couldn't have any of the dessert at dinner so they had a special meal ready for him both times - he was thrilled! All this at no charge.
We used a babysitter in the evenings and some afternoons and had the same one each time, a lovely touch. She was great with the children and I fully recommend it for some time out as a couple if you have young children.
Breakfast was included for us and the buffet was pretty good. We had lunch at the beach bar and grill which was a great atmosphere though typically average Fijian food. The buffet dinner looked a little better than it actually was, and I wouldn't want to eat it every night, but it certainly sufficed for us. We ate at Kalevu one night and although the service was lovely (I've never had a waitress remember my name all night) the food was average and overpriced. However, as someone has said before me in a review, who goes to Fiji for the food?
Staff were just delightful, always ready with a Bula! and more than helpful with the kids.
A final note - I went to the new Chi day spa on my last afternoon and had the Fijian Fusion package - 2 hours of coconut and sugar body scrub, facial and fijian bobo massage. Bliss! The treatment was entirely performed in my own individual spa bure overlooking the ocean and I was so relaxed I kept falling asleep! Worth the extra money for a special treat.
Overall, a great destination for families with children and one we will return to for sure.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank lucyjane1
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We got married @ the Shangri-la in August 2007 plus we had 50 guests from Australia/NZ travel across to stay @ the resort.

Overall it was v.good. Our Wedding co-ordinator (despite some earlier mis-communication) made sure the wedding went off without a hitch. The facilities were excellent and staff friendly.
We did have a bout of food poisoning go through the group which was also reported from other guests @ the resort.

Pros:
- Facilities. Fairly modern. Rooms were of Hotel quality. Internet access (Wireless) was available in some rooms and @ the Lobby. The Ratu Mara reception center where the Reception was held was fantastic.
- Resort layout. Big resort and lots to see. From walk down to Shell Markets to Golf course and of course the Wedding Chapel.
- Beach. A bit of coral but beach was best out of any of the other Coral Coast resorts we saw ie, Outrigger, Naviti and Warwick.
Snorkelling was v.good too.
- Yanuca Island. Even though it was literally a 100m off the coast.
It still had that "seclusion" feel to it.

Cons:
- Size. It was a little too big, too busy for my liking. Around 600 guests there when we were there. I'd go running @ 7am and there would be only the workers walking around. A couple of hours later and there were hundreds of people walking around.
You also needed to queue for breakfast @ peak times.
- Food. The quality was OK but not as good as I expected. Food was fairly pricey too.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank LanRef
Reviewed 17 August 2008

My rating would be a 3.5 star for a FJ$400/n resort. Great location with an island to yourself with great swimming spots. The hotel is older than I am (33yrs) and is in pretty good shape for a hotel of this age. You can see where they are doing it up and points for this. However, the main dissapointment was the food and the lack of variety. - especially as there were 5 restaurants. Food is expensive for what you get. I don't mind paying FJ$40+ for a meal if it is a good quality feed, here the food quality for the cost is below par. The buffet breakfast was the same every morning with no change and the buffet dinner (FJ$49ea) was average at best.

Example of prices: FJ$70 bottle of wine (A$20 at home), FJ$16 for a cocktail, FJ$20-25 for a hamburger, FJ$4.50 for a can of soft drink, FJ$10 for a bowl of wedges/chips, FJ$25-60 for a main meal.

Hotel room was excellent - Lagoon Ground Floor - Couldn't fault it. Clean, cool, reasonably spacious but the bed was awful. It was like sleeping in two hammocks. Time to replace the beds management.

3 pools with one being adults only is an excellent idea. There were a lot of young families (children under 10yo) and the resort seemed to keep them entertained. Being a childless couple, wanting a relaxing holiday, we were not too bothered by the youngies. The man yelling "VOLLEYBALL NOWWWW, FOOTBALL NOWWWWWW" is a huge hit and you will hear the littlies repeating things like "im hungry nowwww, or bedtime nowwwww" very funny....

All resort staff friendly and relaxed which rubs off on you. If the food was improved, then this resort would rate higher. At the end of the day, th eclosest shops are in Sigatoka which is about 10km away, so they have got you.

The resort is huge and well worth a walk around.

We would stay here again, my tip would be,if you are a wine drinker, BYO. If you are a cocktail drinker, expect to be disapointed, if you are a watersports lover, you will love it, if you enjoy good quality food, you will be let down.

Location 4/5
Family friendly 3.5/5

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank btandrmb
Reviewed 23 July 2008

After reading some of the reviews over the past few months I was stressing that we had made a huge mistake in going to the Shangri La Fijian for our wedding and honeymoon/holiday. We travelled with my 2 boys (17 & 15) for our wedding which was held on Takali beach 2 days after we arrived. The whole day was absolutely perfect. The Fijian's love weddings and went out of their way to ensure our day was all we dreamed it would be. My co-ordinator, Cindy was great to deal with from Australia and she answered all my emails quickly assuring me that all would be ok. Its hard to arrange something so special miles away but Cindy takes away all the worry so all you have to to is turn up. We were told to make sure we had all our original paperwork to take to the registry office ie birth certificates, passports, divorce papers but upon arrival in Sigatoka at the dingy povo registry office we did not have to show any paperwork whatsoever! Whilst in Sigatoka we stocked up on soft drinks and snacks to have in our room along with fresh bread to make a sandwich at lunchtime. We did buy jam and peanut butter but in hindsight you could sneak vegemite etc out of the breakfast venues at the resort. The Takali restaurant is the place to go for breakfast if you want peace and quiet. Most families go to the Lagoon Terrace for breakfast and use the Lagoon pool etc which is great for them but we prefer to be away from all that noise etc. All the eateries are good however expensive. We had our wedding dinner at the Kavelu which was exceptional. The staff went out of their way to ensure we had a memorable evening. We also ate at the Golden Cowrie restaurant which was excellent. The steak was mouthwatering. Most nights we went to the Beach Bar and Grill because the range of food on the menu suited the boys and it was priced well. Overall the food is 'over the top' expensive but nice. We had pre-dinner drinks from our duty free supplies in our room prior to going out to keep the cost down a bit. Back to the wedding...... Cindy arranged for my hair to be done at the resort. ($84 FJD) After explaining what I wanted (should have taken a picture) I ended up with a style totally different from what I had described and consequently pulled it out once I got back to the room. Mala from the Chi Spa came to my room to do my make-up and she re-did my hair how I wanted it which was a relief coz I was wondering how I was going to do it myself. Mala did a brilliant job of my makeup ($90 FJD) as well as the hair which she did not charge for. The bouquet is standard Fijian issue (frangipanis, orchids) but perfect for the occasion even though it has a plastic handle (dont worry its not that bad) The photographer did a fantastic job. We paid for a further 36 photos for $180 FJD which included pre ceremony photos in the room etc of both bride and groom. The standard 36 photos does not allow for this. Our album with all 72 photos in it was delivered 3 days after the wedding to our room along with a CD of all the photos. The girls who cleaned our room daily had fun dressing up our bed with flowers etc for the whole stay as they knew of the wedding and went out of their way to make us feel special every day of our stay. For massages we went and saw Aunty Viri in the 'Grey Hut' which is located over the highway at the end of the causeway. 1 hour is FJD $50 as opposed to $80 FJD at the resort in the beach massage bure located near the lagoon pool. Well worth the 10 minute walk... Overall we had a fantasic time with the only let down being that we had to wait till 3pm to get into our rooms on the day of arrival. Our flight landed at 7am so by the time we got to the resort after a no sleep night flight we were ratty. I recommend you book a room from the night before so you can go have breaky upon arrival then go for a rest if you need to. Saves wasting the day wandering around with no where to put your stuff and just wanting to sleep. If you get a chance go on the Sigatoka River Safari. Its exe but well worth it. You travel on a jet boat (made in NZ) for 40 mins into the interior of Fiji to a remote village to experience Fijian daily life. A great trip finishing off with the boat doing 360's on the way back. The resort's snorkelling trip is worthwhile as is the banana boat ride. Parasailing was not available which was disappointing and only 1 of the 2 jet skis was working. We stayed in the Golden Cowrie wing in an ocean view room which was very modern, clean and well airconditioned. The Golden Cowrie wing is well located and a short walk to everything. In summary the Fijian is an awesome resort with lots to do if you are looking for that or you can just chill out relaxing by the adult pool sipping on cocktails. Feel free to email me at cornwellconsulting@dodo.com.au if you want to know more.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
11.1 km away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
14.6 km away
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!