Travelling with two children (13 and 10) and an elderly mother (80) there was bound to be some dilemma's, and thankfully we found none at the Fijian.
From the seamless check-in, arriving at 9.30am and getting the room within 20 minutes, to being able to take longer check-out at no extra cost....this resort was excellent.
The food we found plentiful, and delicious. One note, they only set out two coffee cups on the table, irrespective of the number of adults that may want coffee/tea. No dramas when asking for additional, but we found this a little odd!
The kids found the option of purchasing whatever they liked from the icecream bure next to the main pool fantastic - didnt have to carry cash because you just charged it to the room, and I wasnt hasseled with getting up every half hour to get a drink or icecream.
Shell market down by the Bilo Bar we found a little expensive when compared to Fiji Market in nearby Sigatoka, however, because we knew it was going directly to the locals we kind of just sucked it up!
Absolutely, absolutely consider doing the Sigatoka River Safari to a local Fijian village. From the jet boat ride into the highlands, to the kava welcoming ceremony, feast and dancing, it was a very moving and emotional experience. My two kids spent quite some time playing with the local children, giving them fire-lift rides and my daughter even got to ride a horse bareback. One of the boys bought up their horse from the field for her to have a turn....I cannot speak highly enough of this experience. When it came to the farewell song, I had tears in my eyes. I had only known these people for a couple of hours!!!!
Jack's of Fiji within the resort stocks all the souveniers you could want, although do consider taking a short drive into Sigatoka. The Fiji Market on the main street opposite the Sigatoka River has a greater selection of goods and clothing. You will have no dramas getting them through customs. The stores stamp the receipts and as long as you declare them, no problems!
The firedancing show at the resort was only excellent value for money. The kids were entranced and so were the adults.
Overall, a thoroughly worthwhile and pleasurable experience. The staff were so welcoming and made this holiday very memorable. 10 out of 10 Shangri-La.... We are already planning our next trip back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is exclusively located on the beautiful 109-acre private Yanuca Island with its pure white sandy beach and crystal clear, coral rich seas of the exotic Fiji Islands. Only 45 minutes from Nadi International Airport, the island is connected from the mainland by a causeway.A traditional Fijian village is the inspiration behind the layout of the 442-room resort. Every guest room, suite and bure features a private balcony with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean or the resort’s lagoon. Unlimited wired broadband Internet access is complimentary in all rooms. The Resort offers a range of activities, including water sports, scuba diving and golf, and a popular Kid's Club. A wide range of dining options are available, from Pacific Rim fine dining to informal fun dining at the poolside. Cultural shows highlight Fijian lovo, meke and firewalking rituals, South Pacific and Fijian Fire dancers.CHI, The Spa is a secluded spa village set away from the main resort, and provides the privacy and luxury of the largest Spa villas in Fiji. Four Oceanview and two Rainforest treatment villas feature relaxation areas overlooking either the Pacific Ocean or an exotic rainforest, with private garden patios, outdoor bath tubs, herbal steam room and outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Agoda, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Fijian Hotel Yanuca Island
- Fiji Shangri La Resort
- Shangri La Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Hotel
- Fiji Shangri La Hotel
- Fiji La Shangri
- Fijian La Resort Shangri
- Fiji La Resort Shangri
- Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa Fiji/Yanuca Island