3,952 results
All reviews lagoon pool chi spa beach bar and grill kids club ocean wing family room banana boat fiji time putt putt beach massage family holiday village tour kids eat free games room ground floor fijian resort main pool
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We were married on Takali beach at the resort in late May. The hardest part was organising a wedding at a place unseen (apart from this website). There was no need to panic however as everything was arranged beautifully. We arrived three days before the wedding and were escorted to the registry office in Sigatoka with some other couples. We found a sign outside the registry office which read "disasters do happen..are you ready" and thought this would be a great photo opportunity. Hair and makeup were arranged by the resort and my hair was fabulous and makeup wonderful. Our guests arrived the day before the wedding and most booked into the resort. All would recommend a wedding at the Shangri-La, mabe more for the more mature couple rather than first time youngsters who want tradition. We met another couple who were celebrating their third anniversary and watched our wedding. They later introduced themselves and told us that they had been married at the same time as us three years previously, that was very nice.
On the down side, the food was expensive and we found that you had to pay the price because there was no alternative. Sometimes we would like to have had a light meal but this option was not really available. The Coral Cafe was good for lunch but we found ourselves going to Gekkos across the road or travelling by Taxi to Tom Lous 5 mins away. Tom Lous was some of the best food I have eaten including restaurants at home. We couldn't believe how cheap it was with a 3 course meal entree, main and dessert for as little as $20 fijian.
Upon arrival at the resort we were upgraded to an ocean view room including a gorgeous bathtub and wonderful space. Our room overlooked the pool.
Some friends and family members went to Sigatoka shopping on the day of the wedding and were harassed by the locals trying to get them to buy from the market. They managed to part with more dollars than they should and were quite put off by the experience. I had been to Fiji previously and learned that you should tell the people that you are a local living in Suva. They may ask you where you live so it is a good idea have an address prepared.
I have read previous reviews stating that children are a problem at the resort and I am not a child centered person but I found that I was not bothered at all by the little people, their enjoyment was infectious and I think that some are just born to grumble!
Overall, we loved the experience, the people and Fiji and I would highly recommend this trip to anyone who is interested in discovering alternative cultures.
I loved the Fijian and yearn to return.

4  Thank epark_8
Reviewed 4 July 2008

We chose the Shangri-la for our wedding as it was central to all our guests travelling from Australia and New Zealand (around 30 people in total attended). Many of our guests chose to stay at other near by resorts as the Shangri-la was quite pricy. Overall the resort is beautiful, we had a deluxe ocean view room which was at the quiet end of the resort near the coral pool, but all the other lagoon view rooms have been refurbished and are excellent too. This is a very busy resort will lots of families so if you don't like it being busy - especially at meal times or lots of walking to get from one end of the resort to the next then this is not the place for you. Our wedding was held at the Takali beach at 3pm and reception at Takali pool deck. The wedding was quite private as they close everything off to other hotel guests. The wedding was amazing, everything went to plan, the weather was good and the international buffet for the reception was excellent. We chose to bring our own photographer from Vanuatu as the guy from the resort is not a professional and his photos were very basic. All our guests had a great time also.
The only let down was the general food a the resort. All the reviews are true it is overpriced and very below average most of the time. I think they focus on quantity not quality and this is why a lot of large company conferences are held here also.
There was lots to do however being a larger resort, with 3 pools, golf course, spa, tennis courts, snorkling, jet skiing etc etc.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nicola49
Reviewed 2 July 2008

We stayed at the Shangri-la for 7 days in June, and after extensive reading on this site before-hand, nearly changed resorts, but didn't. The resort was fabulous, clean, green and very resorty!!! The food was really bad - we went to every restaurant in the resort to hopefully find something decent and my husband and I had the 'runs' most days and was sick on other days. The prices were so over the top, we had to laugh!!! We don't mind paying high prices for food if it's good, but this just wasn't. We went to the end of the cause-way to a place called Gekko's (recommended by another reviewer) and that was just as bad. My boys (2 and 4) lasted only a couple of hours at the Chief's Club, because my youngest fell off the top of the slippery dip and got concussion, there is no monitoring outside, and the ladies in there are absolute misery gutses (so rude, I was taken aback)! I asked my boys the following day if they wanted to go back and they flatley refused, which was ok anyway because we were enjoying our time being with them, as it was a family holiday and not a dumping of the kids and enoy myself holiday. The rooms were cleaned everyday and we stayed in a lagoon view room (the spot to say where all the action is). I wont go back again. Way too expensive for really yuk food throughout the whole resort, but the grounds and some of the people are wonderful. Save your money and go somewhere in Australia - I now realise how lucky we are with the food we have here.

1  Thank Shannon M
Reviewed 23 June 2008

While this is an impressive resort, it's not the place to go if you're looking to be well fed while enjoing the serenity...it's just not going to happen.
We ate at all the restaurants and found the food to be very dissapointing and quite expensive. The pick of the lot would have to be the Coral Cafe, but this is open for lunch only.
On the other hand, the room service menu, while still expensive, was much better. Different kitchen I suppose.
The complimentary buffet breakfast is reasonable, but I would recommend walking around to the Takali restaurant as breakfast at the Lagoon Terrace is like feeding time at the zoo...absolute mayhem!
That said, the resort is beautiful. The rooms, gardens and pools are all top-notch.The pools can also get very crowded, as you would expect, but the Coral Pool is a cracker with only about 30 people there at any time, with the cafe about 10 metres away.
We asked some of the staff where they go on a night out and they all pointed us toward Tomlus, about 5 minutes taxi ride away, in Cuvu. Dingy little restaurant, red cloth hanging over the fluorescent lights for ambience, music being played through a busted tape deck that played everything at 2/3's speed and the best food we'd eaten all week. This is the real Fiji. Don't miss it.

2  Thank SydneyRooster
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We stayed for 6 nights with our young family. The grounds were beautiful, the food was delicious, however very heavily overpriced. The kids eat free only applied if you eat at 1 of the restaurants inside Shangri-la. A hamburger & chips was FJ$29.80, the buffet dinner was FJ$50.00 pp. The drinks also were very expensive. You are better off going into Sigatoka town shops to get some groceries, they sell alcohol there to, & are heaps cheaper. At the front desk you can organise a taxi, however if you talk to staff around the resort, some staff have connections & will offer you a taxi about FJ$10 cheaper to the resort's price. Some of the staff were really friemdly, others didn't even smile, & it seemed that they were saying Bula because they felt they had to.
There were dance shows at night, they charge FJ$75, but we stayed at the island & it was free nightly entertainment. However you get a meal with it, however at the island our meals were included. We found that if you wanted to do anythin, you needed money, as there was not a lot of free activities. The staff were not very helpful with letting us know what was on each day. We ended up finding a pamphlet that was at the back of 1 of the cupboards in the room, underneath a few other papers.
We used kids club, however the staff were not very enthusiastic with the kids. They did pretty good activities sometimes, however whenever I dropped them off they were all just sitting on chairs watching tv. I was expecting them to also be a lot friendlier.
Overall, the beach was quite nice, the pools were nice, the views from the Coral Wing pool were beautiful! However, I probably wouldn't stay here again, due to everything being so heavily priced & I don't think it's value for money and lives up to being a 4 and a half star resort.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family