My partner and I spent a week at the Westin in February 2011. We ran into absolutely no issues as a same-sex couple.
This is, apparently, the oldest hotel on Denarau (the gated community where the Westin, Sofitel, Wyndham, Radisson, and two Sheratons are, along with a golf course and some private vacation homes).
We frequently stay at Westins, which have essentially standard décor across hotels. This hotel in no way resembled the Westin standard appearance. That said, our second-floor room was large and very pleasant. The toilet was in a small single-purpose room, and the shower and bath were in separate room. The sink area was separated from the rest of the bedroom by the bathroom mirror. Because of the climate, the hotel has very few enclosed spaces, and outdoor covered walkways connect the guest rooms to the lobby and restaurant area.
The buffet was included in our package, and it wa squite extensive. We found other meals at the hotel (and the nearby Sheraton where Westin guests can use their charge accounts) to be fairly expensive(though Moo-Moo was very good, Pantry at the Sheraton made good sandwiches for lunch, and the restaurant in the Westin breakfast area was good for dinner),but there are other options (including the Hard Rock Café) at the Denarau Port area, which is a fifteen-minute walk away (and safe to walk at night). I gather that there is also a shuttle bus, which we did not use.
The hotel is very well staffed, and the staff is quite attentive, so we rarely found ourselves waiting for anything. We also booked both parasailing (from the beach at the Sheraton) and a cruise to islands for snorkelling (from Port Denarau) at the Westin tour desk, and we would recommend both. The pools at all three hotels (including the Sheraton Villas) were excellent. We took the shuttle boat from the Westin to the resort’s island, but there is really nothing there, other than a drink stand.
We rented a car (parking was free) from Avis in order to leave the resort area, but an off-road vehicle would have been required to go very far off of the principal road along the coast. It was a pleasant enough drive, but we would probably just take a tour if we wanted to leave the gated Denarau area on a future visit.
The beach is in front of the Sheraton, so an easy walk through the Westin-Sheraton Villas-Sheraton Resort complex. The beach is not the white/coral sand that you would find on the Coral Coast.We drove down to the Coral Coast, and the InterContinental at Natadola Beach.The hotel appeared to be abandoned, save a few staff, and not particularlyclose to anything. The beach itself was nicer sand, but it had vendors (of which there were none at Denarau) and horses, which meant watching your step to avoid horse feces. Neither on the CoralCoast nor at Denarau was there much to see underwater, so we were glad to arrange a boat cruise to outlying islands for diving and snorkelling. The convenience and facilities of Denarau made it a better choice for us.
We visited both the Radisson and the InterContinental, and we found the Radisson to be too much like a Disney theme park with a fake mountain and man-made pool beaches (this is probably a good choice for families with young children) and we found the InterContinental to be too far removed from services and the beach too inundated with vendors andpeople selling horse-rides. We did not see any of the other resorts.
Havingstayed at the Sheraton Fiji Resort, as well, we would likely return to the Westin because, though both are great hotels with excellent service, the Sheraton seems more geared toward families and the Westin is a calmer environment for couples.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa beautifully reflects Fiji's rich cultural heritage and local style. Offering the finest resort facilities including 246 guestrooms and suites and the award winning Heavenly Spa by Westin, it is a simply stunning resort for your next holiday in the South Pacific. Stay in 1, play in all 3: directly adjacent to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa are the Sheraton Fiji Resort and the Sheraton Denarau Villas. Within the shared complex, guests can enjoy all facilities including the 12 dining venues, 6 swimming pools and the Denarau Golf and Racquet Club. Starwood Preferred Guest(R) Members receive complimentary in room internet and special dining discounts when booking direct. Book direct today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and lastminute.com.au so you can book your The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji Hotel Denarau Island
- The Westin Denarau Island Resort And Spa Fiji
- Westin Denarau Island
- Denarau Island Westin