“Some Unpleasant Surprises” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Harlingen
Prague
“Some Unpleasant Surprises”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in May 2006. I was happy with the price range and the location but there were some unpleasant experiences as well.When I phoned to make the reservation for a single room for 2 nights, I mentioned I would be arriving shortly before 10 PM. They gave me a room with several beds, although I had requested a single. The next day I decided to take a day trip to one of the nearby Frisian Islands and asked at reception before departing if I had to leave my room key at reception or if I could take it with me. The woman told me it was my decision but that if I thought I wouldn't be back until after the reception closed, it would be better to take the key with me, since I would have no way of entering the building or my room. I opted to take the key with me to be on the safe side.
I came back to the hotel after visiting Vlieland and having dinner in Harlingen to find the door to the room I'd been given unlocked with other people's luggage inside and no sign of my luggage or belongings. I went downstairs to reception quite nervous, wondering what had happened. The person on duty told me they needed that room for a larger group and that I had been transfered to a single and that my belongings were already there.When I asked why I hadn't been given the single in the first place as I had requested, the receptionist told me the single had been occupied the previous night. None of my belongings were missing but I was still annoyed about how they handled it. Another problem happened on the morning of my departure. I watched a group of tourists making sandwiches from the breakfast buffet and taking several pieces of fruit, which they put into their bags to eat later. I didn't have a bag with me, so I merely made a sandwich and took a small container of yogurt and piece of fruit to eat later. On my way out the sullen feminine creature at reception told me I would be charged extra for taking away food from the buffet to consume later, which hadn't occurred to the large group of people who took lots of things out of the restaurant. I didn't protest, figuring it would be a couple Euros more, but unfortunately it turned out to be 7 additional Euros. Yet another problem was that I'd been charged for half board for the second night, which I had never requested, which the sullen creature was unwilling to deduct from my bill. A couple members of the staff were quite friendly and gave me some good advice about which island to visit for the day trip and what to see in Harlingen itself. The rooms themselves were adequate, but the other experiences made it a less than desirable place to stay.

Misha, Prague

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room/lluggage transfer without my knowledge, extra food charges,not being informed I had half board
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
edgefield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

Firstly I concur with the previous reviews.......
The location terrific, dated rooms and paper thin walls.
In a single I was moved to, you have to be quite flexible to use the w.c. I'm only 5'8".

The attitude of the 'land lady' was rude to say the least, unwilling to assist with request to exit from hotel before 7am as "thats the time we open! "...therefore I found doors locked and would most certainly have been deadly in a fire incident !

I stayed a total of 4 nights and only bothered to have breakfast on my first & last mornings as I felt that I was not welcome...
I thought it was being English with no Dutch vocabulary that may of offended them but I think it was just pure ignorance..

Owners & staff should go on a customer awareness course failing that should all get jobs as traffic wardens!

n.b. my apologies to all you traffic wardens out there !

• Liked — location & checking out
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank peter_rabbit58

Travellers are raving about these Harlingen hotels

southern France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2008

Stayed 1 night before taking the morning ferry to the islands. Indifferent welcome - we were rather made to feel that we had disturbed the staff, who were having their supper in the main dining room. After starting to climb very steep stairs to third floor (no lift) with heavy suitcases, someone did finally appear and took the luggage for us. Old-fashioned, tired decor and linen in bedroom and bathroom. Impossible to read with the tiny low-wattage bed lights. Had booked double bed but were given 2 small singles pushed together and with separate sheets/covers. Poor soundproofing between rooms. When we said the next morning that the man who had taken our cases up had said he would collect them in the morning, we were told that he was not on duty that morning! Eventually, with ill-tempered muttering from them, two staff members did collect the suitcases. We decided not to stay for breakfast. Room rate 91 euros, parking 7 euros. Lovely site in port (and lovely view from bedroom window) and very convenient for the ferry terminal, but would certainly not stay here again.

• Liked — location and view from room
  • Disliked — indifferent staff; very tired decor; poor soundproofing between rooms; very steep stairs with no lift
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Fife, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2007

We recently spent 3 nights at the Zeezicht. It is in a lovely position beside the harbour where we watched numerous sailing boats coming in and out all day requiring the bridges beside us to be raised and lowered continuously. we also watched the ferries to the Frisian Islands come and go regularly.The hotel has character and the family who run it work hard all day.They were perhaps not over friendly but courteous enough to our needs.Breakfast,although not the best we experienced on our European tour, was adequate.We had one evening meal in the hotel which was very good. We had the set 3 course menu and thoroughly enjoyed it.The rooms were adequate and clean but noise did travel quite a bit. We were lucky enough not to have a snorer beside us! The town of Harlingen is very attractive with several good restaurants and small shops. We visited a few villages close to Harlingen too which were also worth a look at.

Stayed August 2007
Aussie in Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2007

A well situated hotel right on the harbour in a charming town. Th ehotel was clean and reasonably comfortable. However the wall are very thin and we were kept awake most of the night by the snorer in the next room.

The staff were abit indifferent and not too understanding when the toaster was used incorrectly and all th einstructions were in Dutch. For a non-dutch speaking international traveller this was somewhat frustrating.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from other rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kaye50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlingen
0.3 km away
0.3 km away
Logement Garjen
Logement Garjen
#5 of 12 in Harlingen

Been to Hotel Zeezicht? Share your experiences!