“paradise found”
Review of Derek's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Derek's Place
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Little Corn Island is a place not to be missed and Derek's is a one-of-a-kind magic place to stay. I would rate it as one of the top 2 places I have ever stayed.I stayed in Casita, the closest cabin to the beach. It was beautiful, whimsical and very comfortable. The Caribbean breeze can blow right through the cabin because you can open the windows on both sides...and you can fall asleep to the sound of the waves.The food was fantastic, served family style so everyone eats together. This is a great way to meet other travelers. I was able to do my first-ever scuba dive with the on-site dive master. She was an excellent teacher...not sure i could have completed the dive with a different teacher.

If you are looking for luxury in the sense of king-size beds, jacuzzis and staff waiting on you hand and foot, this is not the place for you. But if your idea of luxury involves a secluded beach, beautiful surroundings, good company, great food and gorgeous cabins you will love Derek's place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 February 2012

An independent traveler’s blog pointed me towards Derek’s Place on Little Corn Island. I am forever grateful. I spent a week on Little Corn Island at Derek’s. I wish that it could have been longer.

Derek’s Place is fabulous. If you want to get away it is the place to go. Derek and Anna, a husband and wife team, raise their children in this serene paradise and run their eco-lodge. They are wonderful hosts. Anna was away during my visit but was very patient in email exchanges in advance of my arrival with my many questions. Derek cooked everyday and everyone eats together family style in the dining casita at the same table. This offers great opportunity to meet your fellow travelers and have conversations across a variety of topics. The accommodations at Derek’s are thatched huts with bamboo walls some of which have bottles creatively incorporated into their construction. Most of the huts are built on top of tree trunks. My own sat about 7 feet high off the ground, had a tree trunk supporting it on each corner and had a tree growing up through the front veranda. Each cabana has its own name. Mine was named Rincon.

The beach is in your front yard, the water is clear and the scenery very beautiful. As Derek’s is a secluded place there is often opportunity, at least when I was there in December, to have the beach to yourself or nearly so. There are only 5 cabanas so even if they are fully booked the beach would not be crowded at all. Derek has made a conscious and environmentally responsible decision to stay a small operation. They also have a dive master on site who can setup ‘try’ dives for the inexperienced.

The lodge is on the other side of the island from the boat landing/village. Getting there does involve a half hour walk through the jungle once you arrive at Little Corn. There are no ATMs on Little Corn, and no place that I was aware of takes credit cards – so bring cash and be certain to have a number of small denomination bills available. US Dollars are as easily accommodated as Nicaraguan Cordovas – however, your US dollars must be in pristine condition. There are no automobiles, motorcycles or even roads on Little Corn (which are all pluses to people like me) – so be prepared to walk!

I was at the end of extended travel when I came to Derek's/Little Corn Island. Of all the places I went, which included four countries and many cities, this was my favorite and the one to which I will return for certain.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2011

the island "little corn" is just amazing and dereck place is really THE PLACE to stay. the location is great, the cabins are very clean and nicely decorated. it's a little paradise. the best is Ana and Dereck, they are very friendly and the food is just amazing. Go there you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brigitteabaunza
Reviewed 27 October 2011

When walking on the beach we came across this incredable place and met this wonderful man named Derek and his bird perched on his shoulder. What a treat to be shown around and to see this place of adventure and a place a person could zen out. Had we not booked at another place Derek would have been the place to be. Just 3 woman from Montana we felt safe and a place we could expect to just relax. Bought some wonderful jam to die for. I would recomend this to anyone that just wants piece and quiet in there lives. Thanks for the tour Derek. Maybe our paths will cross again . Chyral from Montana

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank chyral b
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Anna, the kind hearted woman from Barcelona, and her vibrant young daughter, Lola, greet us as we hop off the panga onto the beautiful shores of Little Corn Island. We are grateful to hand off our packs to a hired local with a wheel barrow as we set off down a trail through the small village following our delightfully shoeless hosts. We pass by people listening to miskito music, living simply, and waving hello. Before long the trail narrows as the trees fold in around us. We are in the jungle. Lola smiles as she plucks a perfectly ripe mango from the ground, grinning, "Here, have some... this one is perfect." Following suit, my boyfriend and I take a small bite off the end of our mangos, sucking the juice, enjoying it's absolute sweetness. Eventually the trail opens up as we approach the grounds of Derek's Place. I am awestruck. Soft green grass under my feet dotted with swaying palms. Cool breeze on my face, Ahhh... The Caribbean Sea. A few thatched roof cabanas on stilts encircle the space along with a fantastic fire pit, and hammocks swinging to and fro over the water. The best is yet to come as Anna takes us on a tour of our home for the next five nights.

We choose the Cabana Casita closest to the water. Removing our shoes, we explore the peaceful little structure. The quaint cabana provides a comfortable bed with soft sheets, plenty of groovy shelf space, shells and rocks as decor, a homemade shag rug, a glass lamp inside and a funky outdoor light, windows that stay propped open with bamboo shoots, and hammocks on the front porch. I couldn't have designed it better myself. I can't stop grinning. We move on to explore the magical outdoor shower and the candlelit bathroom. Wow. This place is unlike anything we've ever seen. I instantly feel at peace. As we settle in, Anna informs us dinner is in the main building around 8 o'clock. We sit on the reclined rock/driftwood seats near the fire, chatting with other guests and sipping Tonas as we anticipate our meal.

We feast on delicious peel and eat shrimp, fresh salad, homemade bread, and coconut rice. An absolute treat. Both the friendly conversation of the family style dinner and the amazing food made for a wonderful first night at Derek's Place. After dinner we see the moon coming up from the horizon like a giant peach. Where are we? I smile at my Miguel, "We've found Paradise."

In the morning we wake up slowly - sipping Coffee and reading on our quaint little porch. Derek let's us borrow some snorkeling equipment before we set out toward Farm Peace and Love where the water is nice and calm. We are excited to explore the reefs. Brightly colored fish and coral, sting rays, starfish and a small shark fill the turquoise waters. What an adventure. Making our way back to Derek's, we decide to do some yoga on the soft grass overlooking the water. Palm trees create shade for us as we move through one of the best yoga series' of our lives. The cool breeze brings strength and peace to our bodies. Ahhh. So wonderful. The remaining days continued like this. Beautifully simple and incredibly happy.

I can hardly express how glad I am to have found Derek's place. My highest recommendation to anyone who wants to treat themselves to a truly remarkable island experience. Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
17.4 km away
Hotel Bellavista
Hotel Bellavista
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Derek's Place? Share your experiences!