All reviewshot waterplace to staylow seasonair conditionbeautiful countrysurf lessonsboardmirissatuksgalleinstructorschool
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Nice rooms, nice friendly staff. Indee took us the whole day to some attractions in the neighbourhood (white tea factory, turtle hatchery, steltfishers, rope factory (from coconuts), temple, batik factory, gem factory). It was low season so were the only ones staying there for 1 night. Nice place for surfing also (we didn't do that). If we would have some more time we would have stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Excellent. Went to sri Lanka for a 10 day surf trip with my girlfriend. Contacted Samaru beforehand and they arranged an airport pick up for us. The location is fantastic, right in front of good surf. The rooms are basic but exactly what we were looking for (AC, Hot water). Food was fantastic, service was very good. What really makes this place are the peopl. Chaminda, Mereil and the boys made us feel super welcome and were really friendly happy people. In fact we played cricket on the beach with them most nights. Location is a short Tuk Tuk rife to Mirissa and Unawatuna . We went to Udu Walawe from here, which they sorted out for us entirely. In short this place was a real find and we cant wait to go back. Thanks for a great stay fellas.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank apointinspace
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Me and my wife came her to surf, chill out on the beach and eat lunch. The food was great but the boards were in very bad condition. We rented a board for my wife but it was a bit to small so i only helped her paddle into one tiny wave (shes a beginner). We switched the board and she surfed the new board for an hour. After that I went for a surf and suddenly my wife came out to me in the water and told me that the manager accused us of breaking off one of the side fins of her first board, which was plain lie. When we gave the board back it was not broken but the manager threatened us with "if you dont pay 2000 rupies trouble will happen" so we didnt dear not to not pay. The manager was not friendly in the first place but threatening us in order to pay for fixing a board (that was in really bad in the first place and no insurence offered) that we are certain that we didnt damage is just awful. We and 3 other people who overheard our conversation with the manager boycotted this place for the rest of the week.

Room Tip: Dont rent it here
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jbcarpenter
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I stayed at the guest house for 3 weeks and everyone there made me feel very welcome and cared for. As a solo female traveller this was important. The room was comfortable and cleaned whenever I asked. The food was good, especially the breakfast but not everything on the menu was always available in the evening though. The food was cooked at my convenience which was great. The guest house is family owned and I found Chaminda especially helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.The beach is lovely and mostly deserted except for surfers who were fun to watch.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2011

The Samaru Guesthouse is a nice place to stay. The beach is directly in the front and there are good waves for surfing if you want. The Guesthouse rents surfboards as well. We probably were a little bit unlucky with the Guesthouse, because we actually had a booking for a room for Rs. 1500 but when we arrived there they showed us a room for Rs.5500 with breakfast. Their excuse was that the people who are now in the cheap room didn’t leave as they said. So it was a really stupid situation for us, because the room for Rs. 5500 was way too expensive for us. Lucky we, they did a discount and we could stay for Rs.3500 in the expensive room, but still actually it was not what we wanted. They promised that we can change after two nights in the cheap room. In addition we thought that they were really pushy about eating in their restaurant and if they saw that you didn’t eat there then they got a little bit upset. And if you leave make sure that the bill is correct…because our drinks and the food, which we ate and drank was on the final bill more expensive then it was actually written in their menu.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple