See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 September 2015 via mobile

I don't know how to describe our stay here, it was a mixture of stress, relief, fear, panic, comfort... The thing is we got a really nice room, one of the best we got as backpackers in Asia (at 110.000 kip per night), well decorated, very clean, illuminated, great beads, etc. And right in the center of Vang Vieng (although everything is in the center, it is such a tiny town!).

The problem was its manager, an evil guy who just wants your money, I don't even think he cares about reviews like these. He will take your passport straight away to make sure you don't disappear without paying. He will keep it in a locked drawer and will ask you to pay everyday per night (instead of everything at the end of your stay).

BUT the worst part was the cockroaches. They appeared when we came back from a bar, late at night. 5 in our room (1 resting on my pillow) and 2 in the corridor. The night guard didn't speak English and the manager woke up and said cockroaches were normal in Laos. Ok! But don't you use any product to prevent them?? He just went to bed and since we insisted and begged for help to get rid of the cockroaches, the lovely guard hunted them one by one, with his bare hands and feet. The next morning the manager couldn't care less and asked for payment. If it weren't for my friend's passport we would have left that place that same night.
Don't go near this guesthouse!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2015

We stayed in a triple room in Grand View Guesthouse. Best part was neat & clean rooms, sitting place outside the guesthouse & the location. Backside rooms have the view of the Nam Xong River. Rooms are spacious & clean with bright color walls.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2015

I first came across this place looking for another hotel which was so badly signed that it made it very hard to find. Grand View Guest House looked nice and approachable, they let us check the room first. We stayed in the bungalows down by the river. Really nice view and had a great sleep. Bed was surprisingly comfortable compared to many I had slept in throughout S.E.A.

Staff were all fine, no problems, nothing stand out ovation but all in all no problems really. The location was convenient. The room was fine, the air con actually works better than the room i currently live in so i am envious of that. The shower I can understand people being confused as you did have to leave it on what looking like boiling temperature to get some hot water but nothing out of the normal for S.E.A .

I also booked a bus from Vang Vieng to Udon Thani, everything worked fine and it was a fine price in my opinion for both the rooms and the bus.

I don't understand the other reviews of hostile staff or things being so horrible, I would advice future customers to go have a look see how it is. I left my 2 phones a laptop and camera in the bag but nothing got stolen, so if you are worried just take it with you but no problems for us at all

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2015 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights here, was a bit more cost than other locations but we had a river and mountain view which was lovely to wake up to. Rooms were clean and spacious. Also close to the river and not far from the bars.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2014 via mobile

This was the first place we looked at and after a long journey decided to stay. We got a double room at the front of the guest house near reception for 70,000 kip per night, roughly £5. We ended up staying 5 nights. There are cheaper options in the area but once the backpack was opened we chose the lazy option to stay put. The room was never cleaned while we stayed here, we didn't get clean towels or extra toilet roll, even when we left key at reception. There are so many rules to adhere to. The room was next to the owners kitchen, the outdoor seating area and reception so noisy at times but not too bad. The plus side is the wifi wasn't too bad from this room. There was ants in the room and saw 1 small cockroache but nothing to really concern or bother me. The bed was hard but that's standard in Asia. The real plus of this place is the location. Outside there is sandwich ladies, so ideal in the morning to go buy a sandwich and bring it back to the guesthouse communal area and eat it with a cup of complimentary coffee or tea supplied by the guest house, while listening to the Hill Myna birds muttering away. The tubing rentals is basically a 1 minute walk, the last tubing stop is 3 mintues down the road at Smile bar. There is lots of restaurants in the street and bars.

• Stayed: October 2014