Having stayed in bed and breakfast inns, as well as other historic hotels over the years, I can report that the Wawona is one of the nicest, best maintained of all that I have experienced. The room was very comfortable (if a little bit cozy), but it was furnished quite nicely. The veranda (porch) is really an extension of the room, with its sitting area and magnificent view. The public rooms downstairs were great, including the dining room with its incredible windows overlooking the surrounding forest. Overall, a wonderful experience.
Now, about those bathrooms, most of the rooms do not have en suite bathrooms. The common toilet and shower facilities are located in another part of each building, necessitating a walk outside from one's room, on the veranda, around the corner--not convenient, not at all. I realize that this was the way that these hotels were constructed a century ago (the main building here dates from 1879), but, really, long-distance bathrooms in the 21st Century. They have modernized the lighting (electricity)--why not the plumbing, as well? That being said, I got used to it (sort of), and that was really the only downside to a wonderful park experience at Yosemite. Unless you are going for the luxury of Ahwahnee in the Valley (which is on my list now), the Wawona is the next best alternative, It is quiet, peaceful, close enough to the Valley, close to the Mariposa Grove, and reasonable enough, considering this is a national park property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big Trees Lodge is cherished as one of the most respected and most frequently visited Yosemite hotels. Its authentic Victorian architecture features beautiful white buildings, classic verandas and lush natural surroundings. At the Big Trees Lodge, there's something for everyone-including golf, tennis, horseback riding, or fishing. Evenings are spent gathered around the piano for musical performances in the lounge. Big Trees Lodge dining is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotelopia so you can book your Big Trees Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wawona Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Wawona Yosemite National Park