4,170 results
All reviews food court the mountain room restaurant hemlock building yosemite valley ceiling fan small refrigerator food hall family room gift shop shuttle bus coffee maker glacier point can't beat the location two double beds dining options amazing location curry village
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I paid $220 / night for a room that hadn't been renovated since the 70's, faced the maintenance buildings, and was easily 90 degrees inside when I opened the door. At least I can fix the last one, right? I'll just flip on the A/C for a few minutes. WRONG. Turns out none of the rooms have A/C. Try finding that fact in any of their literature. What's funny is that the front desk staff is obviously well-trained to field complaints from every single person that stays here for the first time. Also, the wireless internet didn't work in my building, either. Turns out the IT staff I called knows that several of the buildings have "infrastructure problems" and have told the hotel repeatedly over the years. They just haven't gotten around to paying to have it fixed, I guess. I was told that my room was one of the best in the complex, obviously to get me to accept my fate. I did eventually get a different room for the 2nd night which was better - it was on the lower floor (cooler) and had a view of the falls, but in no way should this one have been $220/night, either. I've stayed all over the U.S. and this was a $70 room at best. The previous night's room should have charged hourly.

That being said, the woman at the front desk was very apologetic when I told her how uncomfortable my wife was the first night. There was a cheese and fruit plate waiting for us in the new room the next day.

Here's a thought for the owners of the place... instead of relying on the front desk staff to calm people down, why not renovate the rooms to make them worth paying that kind of money for? Oh, because you own all of the hotels in the Valley and you don't have to - there's no competition. This is why monopolies are a bad thing. Want to see the services improve? Throw a couple of competing hotel companies in there and watch the improvements happen.

4  Thank vandemusser
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I stayed at the Yosemite Lodge during the Memorial Day weekend 2009. Having been here before, I knew what to expect- average rooms, firm mattresses, decor from a generation past, etc. However, having said that, I would stay there again and again for a number of reasons:

Good location near the falls and the shuttle

Near the cafeteria and food store

When you're hiking all day, it's sure nice to come back to a room where you can take a hot shower. The beds don't feel so hard when you're exhausted from a day out.

I felt safer knowing the bears would be less likely to snoop around the rooms. Compare this to a previous experience where I could hear the bear right outside my tent! I also heard a pack of coyote wailing at night- try calming your wife down if you hear that while sleeping in a tent.

It's more expensive than Curry village, but also a lot less crowded. During the holiday weekend, there were 20,000 people on the Sunday before Memorial day. The roads into the park were closed and people were walking EVERYWHERE. At the lodge, it still seemed peaceful, despite the throngs.

The view of the falls from the Mountain House restaurant was great

Though we had one arrogant man who checked us in (reminded me of the comic book guy from the Simpsons) the service was generally good and the staff were friendly.

You can't underestimate the value of having parking near your room.

The climbing school was right behind the lodge, making it easy to come back and forth to the rocks.

All in all it was a great time in the park. I've stayed in Wawona, Camped at Crane flats, Hodgen meadows, and the valley, but I still prefer the lodge for the convenience of being in the valley and the amenities (you will appreciate having your own toilet and shower if you stay here for a week like I did). Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Aimless_Wanderer
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Stayed two days. Hotel centrally located in Yosemite Valley. The room was 1950's decor. Ours was clean, however, some mold on the bathtub/shower tile. No A/C, no coffee maker. Lighting in bath/dressing area somewhat poor. TV in room, however, somewhat outdated. Channel selection is limited. Does have WIFI in room. Restaurants were OK (Food Court, Mountain Room). Parking was a challenge with competition from day travelers. Overall a basic room with limited luxuries.

1  Thank AGAL
Reviewed 20 May 2009

How could a place as gorgeous and majestic as Yosemite allow this lodging company to represent them? The rooms are detached from the lodge, and look like they were built 50 years ago, and never touched again. Dirty aluminum windows; dark yellow single bulb overhead lights; dirty, harsh feeling indoor/outdoor carpet in the rooms; black mildewed caulk around all the bathroom fixtures, wood trim in the bathroom that is dissolving before your eyes; torn blankets and worn linens on the beds with dingy bedspreads; a TV that is so tiny they might as well take it out. All for $300/night. Again, step outside, and you are wowed by a perfect view of the Falls, but avoid these nasty rooms at all costs, if you can, and just stay at the Awahnee.
At the lodge, the front desk staff is sweet. The food in the Mountain Lodge Restaurant is quite good with a decent wine list, and even the food court had tasty food, although they cannot handle the crowds with their quaint use of omelette and waffle stations where each is hand prepared by a chef--too long of a line, and inefficient if you just want to grab a quick breakfast and get outside.

2  Thank MakeamemoryThair
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at Yosemite Lodge for 5 nights from April 19th to April 24th. We paid nearly $230 a night (all taxes included) for a corner room (4705) with a king size bed in the Birch, a one story, five unit complex. Maybe a little pricey for a modestly appointed room, but then again, there we were, on the valley floor of one of the world’s most beautiful national parks.
Judging from the reviews, we knew it would be a hit or miss as to what kind of room we received. We feel we scored a hit as our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The shower was always hot and the small refrigerator managed to keep our drinks cold. Even though this room didn’t command a view of Yosemite Falls, it was perfect for us, as a couple of the trails that we hiked were literally just beyond the back door. Because we are avid day hikers we were only in our room in the evening and night. The rest of the time we were out and about. For us, this room met our expectations as it afforded us a good night's rest which enabled us to awake refreshed every day, ready to take in as much of this magnificent place as possible. True, you can hear your neighbor if they are a bit loud. We heard some young ones next door late into the evening on our first night. But it grew quiet by 10pm and the following day new neighbors moved in whom we never heard or saw.
We found the staff to be polite and courteous and the food throughout the park to be just fine. We especially liked the sandwiches at Degnan’s Deli at Yosemite Village and our breakfasts at both the Food Court at the Lodge and the buffet at Curry Village. The pizza at the Pizza Loft was also pretty good as were the few rounds of drinks at the Mountain Room Lounge.
There was nothing fancy with what we had or what we did.
We were just living a simple life for a few days and Yosemite Lodge allowed us to do this in a comfortable fashion. If we had it to do all over again, we wouldn’t do it any different. One advantage of an April visit is that even though there are throngs of people during the weekend, once Monday rolls around, it’s like having the park to yourself.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple