The hotel was lovely; good service (apart from the porter who, quite aggressively, came onto me!), nice reception, excellent breakfast but the room left something to be desired. We were told the other side was being refurbished and we were in the 'old side'. It was probably the most outdated room I have ever stayed in. Very strange that by opening up the wardrobe you can gain access to the bathroom, and there is no lock on the bathroom door (which has holes in it so sound 'leaks' into the bathroom). As someone who likes bathroom privacy this was awkward as I was traveling with a friend. The room was clean with sheets changed daily. If the hotel is just used as a base for exploring that is fine but, until the refurb, I wouldn't consider a romantic holiday at the hotel.
The pool area was very nice, there is a small beach in front of the hotel (which is public property). My companion, who smokes, found there is only one very miniscule smoking area and no where to smoke around the pool (which I was glad of, but smokers might want to consider this). The main areas of the hotel was nice.
My friend, who had visited Halekulani 5 times before, was most looking forward to the breakfast at House Without a Key but it was closed during our stay as they were doing something to the roof. They had combined the buffet and a la carte into one restaurant and it was very nice; good menu and I enjoyed the buffet which had a combination of continental, the usual buffet and Japanese food as the guests were mostly Japanese. Service was very good and I enjoyed my breakfast every day.
I think the main bonus about Halekulani is it's location. It's in a prime position for going out and exploring Honolulu. Having visited some truly beautiful hotels, I find it disappointing that this is the second best on Tripadvisor in Honolulu as if I ever return to Hawaii I'd hope to find something a little more luxurious; maybe I'll try Trump Towers!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halekulani has been hosting visitors to Waikiki Beach for nearly 100 years. Today its reputation for gracious hospitality, impeccable service and magnificent cuisine is unequaled on Oahu and renowned, throughout the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Booking.com, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, Odigeo, Wotif.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotelopia, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Halekulani Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halekulani Hotel Honolulu
- Halekulani Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu