“Where I would like to retire!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Halekulani Hotel

Halekulani Hotel
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Great Neck, New York
“Where I would like to retire!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

My stay at Halekulani this past January 2012 was suberb! The service is top notch (such as what you can expect from a Four Seasons), the food was delicious, and the room was maintained impeccably without any disturband on your privacy or time (they clean it twice a day and leave you little gifts each night that are truly nice keep sakes). I hope to stay at one of their suites on day on an anniversary in the future. Using whatahotel.com to book my stay was hugely beneficial as well as a tip. They were able to get me an upgrade, daily brunch (and this is no normal brunch - one of the best on the island) daily and free parking for my stay for the same price as one room category below. This was such a treat since it was my Baby Moon!

Room Tip: Ocean front is beautiful - use whatahotel.com!
2 Thank KimEunhae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I've been to the Halekulani seven times in the last 11 years and it does not disappoint. Relaxing is not a word that you associate with Waikiki, but the moment you set foot in the open air lobby of this fine resort, there is an immediate sense of peace and calm. This won't necessarily be to everyone's liking. The decor, the floral arrangements, the rooms are all understated.

The service is wonderful, very quiet and discrete. The rooms are very automated, and you can just press a button by a console on the bed table to signal your needs. The bathrooms are set up to double as dressing rooms and have separate shower stalls and baths. The rooms are a good size for Waikiki, and the suites (I had a Pool view suite) are very luxurious.

Food is really superlative, they have their own bakery on premises, so breakfast is particularly good. I've tried all of their restaurants except for La Mer, and they are first rate. In particular, House Without a Key is a great place for an informal meal.

While the hotel does not front a wide section of Waikiki beach, the pool, with its distinctive tiled Orchid bottom, is heated and usually not crowded.

There are two particularly special Halekulani experiences that I would recommend. One is to go the House Without a Key in the evening to see Kano'e Miller, a former Miss Hawaii, dance the Hula to the tunes of a live Hawaiian Band. The classiest act that you will see in Hawaii. The other is to order a Japanese breakfast and enjoy it on the terrace of your room. The breakfast consists of grilled fish, rice or rice porridge and pickled vegetables. It's a great alternative to an American breakfast and no other Hawaii hotel (not even the Four Seasons) does as it well.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room, and fall asleep to the sound of the surf.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank upperwestsider72
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This hotel was highly recommended by travel agents and was told to stay here if we wanted a truly special and memorable stay. However it did not live up to our expectations. Whilst the hotel is well maintained, I did not find the service to be outstanding. The check-in receptionist seemed distant and cold and despite requesting a high room floor prior to arrival, we were given a 2nd floor room. The room decor is outdated as is the bathroom. I did like the layout of the wardrobe as a walk-through to the bathroom.

The restaurants were nice but not any different from the other 5* hotels in Hawaii. Having stayed at the Royal Hawaiian just the week before, we much prefer the RH as the rooms and service were of a much higher standard. RH is also of much better value considering we paid $100 less per night.

Halekulani is a good hotel but having stayed at many luxury hotels in the world, this hotel is not one I am planning to return to and is by no means anywhere near my favourites.

6 Thank SYD-YYZ
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Just got back from our annual trip to Hawaii. Spent a few nights here again at the Halekulani. After reading the other reviews, I just dont know that I have more to add to this. This place is truly a slice of heaven! Very serene and peaceful. The service is incredible. The people who work here are amazing. After the craziness of the holidays and gloomy east coast weather, this is the one place I learn to find my "happy place" and smile again. It is pricey but whats a couple days of being spoiled!? I told Santa this would be a great gift! And he did not disappoint! We could of gone to Maui for a few days, but we opted to return here and just be pampered. The pool is fab. Sure the beach is very small, but its an easy walk to the water. Sunset dinner at Orchids is a must. Food is decadent and amazing and Rob our waiter was excellent. Him and Chris waited on us hand and foot and actually took the time to chat and enjoy conversation. We were never rushed. And the Mai Tais at House W/O a key is also a must do. (I dont even like sweet drinks, but you have to try them!) Its a great place to get away from it all, the kids and reality and just find romance again with the one you love! Next year I am going to have to stay longer!! Im already sad Im not there. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The garden view is not bad and this year we had the partial ocean view facing Diamond Head. Awesome...
9 Thank azharleygirl
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We were only here for one night as a stop over on our way home but we really enjoyed it. The staff were quite amazing with the concierge running to get me some US dollars to pay the cab driver (I had run out of cash and he wouldn't take a card). The restaurants were great with a real island atmoshpere right on the beach. Would love to go back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family