“Mahalo”

Waikiki Sand Villa Hotel
Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed here in 2008, came back in 2010 and have just booked our 3rd trip for 2011.
The hotel is in a great location overlooking the golf course. It is only a 10min walk to the beach and main drag. You have the shuttles buses around the corner, ABC on the corner and restaurants galore. The hotel offers all the facilities you ask for in a hotel, internet, pool, room safe, balcony, cofee / tea making facilities, fridge. The best paet about the hotel is the value for money. It is a really inexpensive place to stay and the rooms are very clean and the staff are always there and very helpful. There is a free airport transfer for guest staying more than 4 nights. All up we love coming back here again and again. It is like a home away from home/

Room Tip: We stay in the upper floors for the better view and less noise from traffic.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CharmaineGale
Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We have stayed in many hotels all over and this one is the first we are rating this way - because we wanted to let others know that this place is not what they say it is. Agree that it is cheap but thats about the best thing to report.
We stayed there for a week. The room was from a prior century and was not well maintained. There was an odor that was quite bad. The TV never worked well - informed them twice with absolutely no response. So no TV for a week!!! Shower head broke and caused an injury - again the stuff is of very poor quality!

The Valet parking deserves a very special mention here - it is quite pitiful! Better to spend 15 bucks daily in a nicer hotel for parking than depending on the mercies of the guys managing the service. Sometimes you have to wait a very long time to get your car. And a tip seems to be expected every time you take your car.. which when you do it a few times daily for a week adds up to a lot of cash! Otherwise they seem to ignore you the next time you come by. I heard one of the valet guys commenting about someone - '10 dollars for 5 days - what a cheap guy!' Quite rude behavior - to say the least! Also the space for pulling up into the valet must have been designed by a sadist as almost every time there is no room and you often get yelled at by airport shuttle drivers dropping off people.

I have to say that the place seems to be frequented by a lot of Japanese and Chinese tourists and I think the management seems to have things set up well for them rather than your average US tourist.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank cooldc
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed in this hotel last September 2010 and I must say that this hotel is value for your money. This is close to downtown Waikiki without its matching price. best of all, you dont need to ask for an upgrade, once they realize they have better rooms for you, they automatically give it to you. We stayed for 2 nights at the hotel and booked their most basic room, we were given a superior room with the coolest bidet water closet. We checked out because we spent 2 nights in Big Island and when we returned we were upgraded to a Family room without us asking. 2 upgrades, what more can i ask for.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank princesscat09
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for around one week. We were only looking dor a clean place to sleep because we were gonna be out surfing all day long... The staff were nice and polite. The Valet parking was a bit annoying because you always had to wait for the guy.

The hotel is well situated in downtown Waikiki, walking distance from everything (5-10 mins max.) including the beach. In the morning we would leave the hotel with nothing but our boards and swimwear walk barefoot to the beach.

We didn't expect much of our room for the price but we were pleasently sruprised. Not much view on the beach, but a good one on the golf course and the mountains, which is as good to me as the ocean. But like I said we weren't there to spend our days in the room. If you're expecting a big 5-star resort you should choose another hotel. Our room was small, yet very clean, which was the most important criteria for us. Breakfast was a bit disapointing in size, but you can always pay extra and go to the hotel's restaurant, but toast, fruit and juice was enough for us.

• Stayed: July 2011
5  Thank Lazboy1990
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I've returned from a lengthy stay at the Sand Villa and really can't say enough good things about it. My room was exactly what I asked for: high floor with a view of the canal and Diamond Head. Every request I made was taken care of promptly. for example, one day, soon after checking in, I mentioned to the housekeeper that the sliding glass door to the lanai was difficult to open and that the fridge wasn't cold enough. Then I went to the beach. When I returned, the door was greased and I had a new fridge. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I got a thank you note from the housekeeper for leaving her a few dollars. The desk person helped to print out our boarding passes. And, on the last day, the bartender managed to serve our lunch poolside although she was the only one there.
I loved the pool and the spa which was nice and hot--it felt great for my arthritis. When I travel in the midwest, a pet peeve of mine, is that the spas are lukewarm because they function as kiddie pools. this one was clearly for adults.
The bar and restaurant is terrific. Food is reasonably priced, the customers are friendly, and, once again, the bartender, Deb, couldn't have been nicer.
I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I like to have a room on a high floor with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo