“High Tea at the Moana Surfrider, Waikiki.”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 January 2012

In August 2011 I travelled to Hawaii with 5 friends in order for each of us to celebrate a milestone birthday. On the day of my birthday we decided to go to the Moana Surfrider for their Afternoon Tea on the veranda. I can honestly say it was an absolute high light of our trip, it was just divine. The service, tea, food and ambiance was just gorgeous. We were treated to a choice of tea where the waiter explained each tea and its origin followed by a glass of bubbles and a delicious array of petit fors, cakes and sandwiches. I can highly recommend this experience for a Ladies afternoon or romantic treat for your lady. The setting was lovely on the veranda of the gorgeouse Moana Surfrider, it felt so sophisticated and classy and was a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
10  Thank Hotel_Honey1
FirstLady2365, Sales Coordinator at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Belated Happy birthday! Thank you so much for celebrating your birthday at our Afternoon Tea on the Veranda and the remarkable comment on how this experience was the absolute highlight of your trip. Thank you very much for celebrating your special occasion with us and highly recommending the Afternoon Tea on the Veranda. We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

This was our second stay and we had a breathtaking view of Diamond Head from our room in the tower. The view was just as good as I remember. We had a ocean front room with 2 double beds and it was big enough to accommodate my husband and my 2 young kids. I quickly came to the realisation that I was happy to live in a hotel room! Especially with a view like this.

We spent 6 nights here followed by 8 at the Royal Hawaiian. We split the time up because I thought we would be bored if we stayed here for 2 weeks but we could have easily stayed on. In fact, when my six nights was up I was really sad about leaving and I kept thinking I'd made the wrong decision for the first 2 days at Royal Hawaiian. I did eventually come to really like the Royal Hawaiian as she is beautiful in an understated way. I'd probably stay at both again!

What I really love about the Moana Surfrider is the elegance and serenity of the building, especially the lobby which I loved to walk through after walking the busy streets and I'd feel like I was home and instantly lighter. I also loved having breakfast on the Veranda (those waffles are making me want to invest in a waffle maker!), having a piña colada at one of the tables near the beach bar and I loved hearing the live music play during the day while I sat by the pool and hearing the Hawaiian music in the evenings when I'd come back to my hotel from dinner outside the hotel.

The only suggestions I have is that the pool needs an upgrade because it's an old pool (vintage 70's or 80's maybe?) and it looks out of place with the elegance of the surroundings. I also think they need descent beach chairs which should be free, just like at the Royal Hawaiin as this was a great way to take in the beach. The price difference isn't that much from the Royal Hawaiian so beach chairs should be all part of the facilities at the Moana Surfrider.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to have an ocean front room in the Tower. The hotel is on the beach so make th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank airportnut

We read your review and are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your two weeks here in Waikki. Both the Moana Surfrider and The Royal Hawaiian are beautiful resorts. They are well known as the two hotels that made Waikiki famous. We truly appreciate you sharing your comments on everything that you liked about the Moana as well as the suggestions you had made. Thank you so much for spending your six nights with us. We hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

If your room faces on to the courtyard you'll have to listen to the live musician playing until 11pm each night. They have the sound system cranked so that the four people sitting at the outside bar can listen to them, and everyone in their rooms just has to deal with it. When they finally shut up, you can hear the waves crashing in. Just hope you don't need to get to sleep at a decent hour. Pay less money and stay somewhere else that's quiet.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay. We sincerely apologize for the lack of sleep you encountered while staying with us. We have shared this comment with our department that handles the entertainment in the Banyan Courtyard to review this issue. Thank you again very much for this great feedback.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

We just spent a week over Christmas at the Surf Rider. Overall the stay was very good. You must go with reasonable expectations. This is not a W Hotel this is an old old Hotel made to be as good as it can be. Rooms are small and boreing , but clean and comfortable with the awesome heavenly bed to look forward to every night. We were in the Diamond wing and had an amazing ocean front view. The deck is aslo small and really just made for standing on as there are no deck chairs. But to open the drapes every morning to the blue ocean was wonderful. The Beach Bar was fun but expensive as is all resort bars. Food was a 6/10. Not great for what you pay.Service was good but not fantastic, but it was very busy and all staff looked stressed out to me as the Hotel was over booked. Would I stay there again? Yes if I had to but I would probably stay at the Sheraton Waikiki where I stayed last time. I just like the rooms and the atmosphere better.Pool is better there too. The Rum-Fire bar was great!! I

Room Tip: Do not stay in Historic wing. Your better off staying in your closet at home. Diamond wing or Tower...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danify
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The service is amazing
Views spectacular
Beds heavenly
How much better can it get?

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family