4,058 results
All reviews kona tower convention center plantation cafe beach park convenient location business trip across the street coffee maker self parking waikiki area ocean view king bed starbucks microwave hawaii conference kamaaina
Reviewed 16 December 2017

For $160/night at the Kamaaina rate, I was very disappointed with the size of the room and the view. My view was a building that was under renovation...unit 1146. I also checked in on a Sunday, which is usually the day that people checks out. This being said, I was hoping to get a better room. It's sad to say that the "Kamaaina Rate" is really the worst rooms that are available. If this is the case, then the prices should be cheaper (I could have gone to the Ambassador Hotel for $100 and get a bigger room and better view than what I had on Sunday) and also, don't use the word Kamaaina any more. My experience made me feel that Kamaaina means "The people who deserves less". Anyway, this is just one man opinion and I will not be be coming back.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank 673leonardk
Reviewed 15 December 2017

My business trip was quite comfortable thanks to the convenience of Ala Moana Hotel. Location next to Ala Moana allowed for shopping and dining and I was conveniently located near my meeting locale as well.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2017

Pros:
-The room comes with a refrigerator/freezer which is very uncommon in hotels in this area because due to the high levels of tourism, the idea is to have everyone eat out during their stay.
- The staff is extremely polite and attentive. The two young men who helped me out at the front desk, Joe and Justin, were able to assist me during this visit with a smile, demonstrating the true meaning of Aloha. The manager, Daryl, was helpful when I needed it and the gentleman from housekeeping, who's name I never found out assisted me when I had a housekeeping issue.
- Self parking is a plus, because I'm impatient and hate having to wait for someone to get my car when I'm ready to leave.
- Location, it's great because it's just a short walk into Waikiki and connected to the largest outdoor mall on O'ahu.

Cons:
Cockroaches: On day 2 of being in my room, I found a cockroach on my ceiling. I've lived on O'ahu before so they're nothing new (when they're the large ones!) When you find the smaller/German cockroaches, there's not just one, there's hundreds or more. That same evening I found another cockroach on my dresser. As with the first I killed it and decided that I would notify the management the next day. When I notified the manager on duty, Daryl, it shocked me that he didn't seem too surprised by my discovery and had housekeeping sent to my room to clean it. (This is merely a band-aid because vacuuming the room will not rid it of my unwanted guests.) He agreed to me checking out more than a week early as well as refunding me, but only for the remaining days that I was supposed to stay. I was charged for the days that I'd already been there.
When I got off the elevator to go up to meet the housekeeper, I found a cockroach crawling on the table in the hallway and then up the wall. The housekeeping manager was there and I showed it to him, his response was "Oh a German cockroach." After which he went and got a Kleenex, wiped it off the wall and proceeded to have the housekeeper clean my room. Again, his response was not one of surprise, but more a response that he was well aware that this is a problem. He also came into the room with the housekeeper, moved the mini fridge, placed a roach bait behind it and sprayed bug spray underneath it. I also took the spray and sprayed the perimeter of my room. The housekeeper did a great job of cleaning, but I was on edge for the next 2 nights that I had to stay until I was able to check into another hotel. On the morning of my checkout, I was headed downstairs and found another cockroach crawling on the door to the room directly across the hall. Needless to say, I got my belongings, shook them out and got out of there.

- Size of the room: These rooms are tiny in comparison to many of the other resorts on island. Two people staying in one double bed room will literally be on top of one another.

Summary:
I typically leave excellent reviews for places, even if they aren't perfect because most often the staff makes the imperfections bearable. This situation was not the same, although the staff that did assist me were phenomenal, even their Aloha spirit couldn't make sleeping with cockroaches acceptable.

If anyone from the hotel management reads this review, by all means please feel free to contact me. This hotel is in a wonderful location and honestly with a good deep cleaning could really become one of the premier resorts on island.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Pulelehua323
Reviewed 15 December 2017

Currently I am staying in the lower floor of Ala Moana Hotel by Mantra. First time to stay at this hotel.

Last night, about 1.5cm (0.6 inch) roach came out from the drawer of TV cabinet. I called Housekeeper to bring a roach killer spray. 5-10mins later, a housekeeping lady came to bring it, but she explained to me I cannot keep it with me until I kill a roach as for the health hazard reason. It is acceptable but they should bring also "a roach trap catcher(roach motel)" instead. A hotel staff told me he could bring roach bites which cannot catch or kill roaches right away.

I talked to a staff or a manager and he told me I could move to another room. But it was almost midnight and it was a long day for me and would not like to pack all my staffs to move to the another room.

I texted about this happening to my friend who stayed at this hotel several times and she told me she found roaches few times. That means even if I move to another room, I might encounter with another one again....so I decided not to move.
This hotel is not well pest control.

I normally stay at Hyatt Regency in Waikiki or Moana Surfrider when I visit Honolulu once/twice times of every year for this past 10 years. I have never seen roaches in those hotels.
The location of this hotel is excellent to access to Ala Moana SC. The service is not with the warm Aloha atmosphere. Totally a city business hotel service.

Better to bing the folded roach or insect trap catcher just in case, if stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2017

We came back because we stayed here before and had a good experience. This time we enjoyed our stay but found the swimming pool cold, the coffee in the room mediocre (Red Lion), and the construction noise outside our room bothersome.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple