During the first 16 years of our marriage, as backpacking travellers to parents with young children moving to Hong kong, the Polynesian Plaza was home to us on all 6 of our visits! We always thought it was a perfect gem; a quiet, well-kept secret! After almost 20 years away from Hawaii, now that we are semi-retired, we decided to come "home" once again. An e-mail to our old friend, Rachel, received a quick reply. And here we are! While we have seen many changes in Waikiki over the years (many are delightfully for the better), all the changes to the Polynesian Plaza have been additions of services and improvements. The pool is now solar-heated. There are so many more organized social events - Friday morning coffee by the pool and a wine-and-cheese party. The lobbies on the 2nd & 3rd floor are now comfortably furnished for gatherings. We really appreciate the extensive sharing library that is there now. The rooms are even better-equipped than ever - a large, flat-screen T.V., an iron & ironing board, a hair dryer, beach towels, and many more kitchen dishes and utensils than before. We did join the wireless internet, and it has been a pleasure to sit on the lanai or by the pool, accessing our e-mails. It is obvious that Rachel has continued to keep up the decor, new rugs, etc... The owners are so lucky to have had her to care for this place. She has always been warm, friendly and professional. This is what all travellers search for when they travel, and rarely find. All the other staff have always been great as well. We remember Otis, Carmelita, August and Gail so fondly. But now we have met Tina, Cecilia, and Lito, we appreciate that they continue the wonderful tradition.
What hasn't changed, thankfully, are the warm welcome, helpful staff, superb location, quiet and safe environment, and total comfort. We appreciate making our own meals and not feeling like we could be in any hotel in any country. This place feels very "Hawaii". It has its own unique "Aloha Spirit". An added treat is watching the Friday night Hilton Hawaiian Village's fireworks from our poolside lanai. Our month here has been all that we remembered about the Polynesian Plaza, and more.
When we prepare to leave in a week, it should be no problem cleaning the apartment. Cecilia lends us the cleaning supplies and vacuum cleaner whenever we ask. Like so many of the people who stay here these days, we will return again - and again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Location, location, location! Polynesian Plaza is situated on Kalakaua Avenue and Beach Walk, the focal point of Waikiki, just one block to world-famous beaches. Comfortable studios feature private lanai balconies and fully equipped kitchenettes with a 2-burner stovetop (most), microwave, and refrigerator. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Polynesian Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Polynesian Plaza Honolulu
- Polynesian Plaza Hawaii/Honolulu