“What a find!”

Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“What a find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend/coworker who visited Hawaii for a wedding two years ago (arrangements were made by the bride, who is from Hawaii, and also now a coworker). So I felt fairly comfortable booking this hotel despite the lowish number of stars (I normally don't even consider a property with less than three stars). This hotel had a number of pros: the rate, location, cleanliness and comfort. I had a view of both Diamondhead and the ocean from my balcony (yes, an actual balcony that I could sit out on), and I was paying almost nothing by Honolulu standards! I could easily access the beach and any number of the premier hotels and shopping centers nearby.

On the con side, the street was rather noisy and the furniture dated. But the pros more than made up for it. I would take this hotel any day over the upscale, overpriced hotel I stayed at after I left Oahu.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mizladee
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Aloha mizladee:

It's always great to hear that word of mouth recommendations brought you to the Aqua Palms and better yet that you enjoyed your stay!

Please feel free to contact me directly for your next visit.

Patty Maher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed at the Aqua Palms Hotel for 17 days this past January.

First the pros - the staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. I can't say enough nice things about them. The pink trolley stops right in front of the hotel. The overall location was good for us - we walked to the beach, park, ala moana shopping center and many restaurants all within 15 min or less. In the lobby you can get free regular coffee and free apples. Also you can request beach towels for no charge.

The cons - the room was small and showed wear. Nothing like the picture on the web.
I have a picture of a spot of mold growing on the wallpaper below my headboard. The bathtub was really gross having been re-enameled but with most of the enamel peeling off. Even after bleaching out before every use I felt bad giving my toddler a bath in it.
The balcony was extremely dangerous for my 2 year old - her head and entire body fit easily through the bars. I don't know what the code is for this (maybe it's standard?) but I would not let her outside at all which further cut down on our very tight living space.
The in room coffee pot is ok, it's small and enough for maybe two cups of coffee. The pool was also small but adequate but because of a building across the street it loses sun for appx. 2-3 hours a day (about 1:30-3:30pm).
The free wifi internet only works in the lobby.
Overall, If I came back to this island I would not stay at the Aqua Palms again.

Room Tip: The side away from the street is much more quiet and worth requesting if you don't want to sun y...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jdubb77
Aloha jdubb77:

I'm disappointed to hear that you would not return to the Aqua Palms!

Upgrades and refrsehing of the property is scheduled for this year and would hope that you would give us another opporunity to serve.

I am delighted to hear that the staff were very friendly and helpful, they are one of the best features of the property!

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you and your family!

Wahiawa, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here over presidents weekend...because all of the other hotels we normally stay at were sold out. The room is small but is comfortable. I appreciated the quiet. The room has a 42 inch plasma TV and free internet. We ended up walking a little farther to get to places, however with all the good eats in Waikiki, it was nice to get some exercise and there is a ton to look at along the way.
There is a pool, but it is pretty small, so do not expect a great pool experience.
All and all it was a pretty good back up hotel...would definitely consider it next time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Bronco-6
Aloha Bronco-6:

It was great having you with us over the President's Day Weekend! I'm glad you got to experience us and am excited to hear that you would stay with us again!

We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Diamond Luv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is a small, "boutique" style hotel - nothing fancy, but the location is perfect. It's right across the street from the beachfront Hilton Hawaiian Village property, which has a fireworks show every Friday night. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and it's only a 10 minute walk to "where all the action is". There's even a convenient, 24 hour coffee shop a few steps from the hotel. I've stayed at the Aqua Palms twice and I've been satisfied. There's free coffee available and a weekly "Managers Reception" in the lobby from 5-6 pm that offers a free cocktail, snacks and live music. I'd definitely stay here again. The staff and service is wonderful and the value can't be beat!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Diamond-luv
Aloha Diamond-luv:

It is great to hear when we have repeat guests, especially when they say they will return again!

Please be sure to contact me directly for your return visit so that we may be sure to take great care of you!

Patty Mahaer
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

My sister and I just spent 10 days at the Aqua Palms Waikiki. Like other reviewers had mentioned the hotel is in need of renovations. That being said the place is scrupulously clean, the staff is friendly and approachable and the manager truly cares about the comfort and satisfaction of her guests. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and would likely not even look at staying elsewhere if I were fortunate enough to return to Honolulu. From the complimentary apples and lemon ice water in the foyer to the Managers reception on Thursdays with live entertainment, drinks and snacks, attention is paid to every detail to ensure a pleasant stay for their clientele. I've travelled a fair amount and have stayed at some very posh hotels but have never felt more comfortable. If you care about a five star appearance this may not be the place for you. If you care about being treated like a five star guest this is the place for you. Maholo to Patty and her staff for making our trip such a pleasant one.
On our last day of holidays we met an elderly gentleman who told us about a place at the Ala Moana Shopping Centre called Shirokiya (it's beside Macy's and within walking distance of the hotel). It is two stories of a variety of fresh Japenese foods that are very inexpensive and a nice change to what is available at the local ABC stores.
Also we were prepared to rent a car for at least a portion of our trip. It turns out that their transit system is very efficient. You can literally go anywhere you want to on the island for $2.50 (exact change required). The concierge can help you with the schedule. The Expedia representatives are very helpful as well. Of course they would like to sell you their tours and if you want a hassle free way to go that may be desirable. We found it wasn't any big deal to take the bus.
We went to the North Shore, The Polynesian Cultural Centre, Pearl Harbor, Chinatown, The Bishop Museum to name just a few (all accessed by bus). We only travelled during the day so never felt vulnerable. There were some pretty interesting locals on the buses, friendly and willing to give advice about places they would recommend to visit.

Room Tip: Room 518 had a nice view of the city and Diamondhead with two queen sized beds and a full lanai. The...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Happytravellers88
Aloha happytravellers88:

As stated we may not be a 5 star hotel but we do all we can to make our guests like 5 STARS!
All of us at the Aqua Palms are here to make sure that everyone has a memorable stay in the islands and I'm delighted to see that was the case with you!

Please be sure to contact me directly for your next stay with us! It was our pleasure to serve you!