“Believe the hype.”

Alan Wong's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Alan Wong's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 2,454 Restaurants in Honolulu
Price range: USD 50 - USD 51
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Punahou Street and McCully Street
Description: Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Believe the hype. Our waitress Jennifer was courteous, efficient and helpful. She suggested a small portion braised rib dish for my daughter that was perfect. My older daughter had a venison dish that she loved. My wife and I enjoyed the tasting menu. The presentation of each course was a work of art; with the taste being equally as good. I'm very happy I added Alan Wong's to the agenda while on vacation in Oahu.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,467)

Reviewed 11 August 2017

4 days of poke, lau lau and kalua pork.. just nice to have a good sit down dinner with the chefs anniversary tasting menu. Had the venison, while my wife substituted her venison with fish. Excellent service (Thanks Jennifer) and just had a really nice well presented dinner. Th food was well articulated with different Asian fusion flavors. Place was packed by 6:30..

Reviewed 10 August 2017

This is a restaurant to go to for innovative cuisine, marrying the best of the West and the East into a venerable joy ride for your taste buds. I found the foie gras appetizer portion woefully lacking, almost needing a microscope to find it, otherwise the tuna tartar, was almost too large, and tell them to serve it without the aioli topping, which is an unnecessary adornment. You must order "Da Bag". It is Alan Wong's version of en papillote, where a huge silvery inflated pillow comes to your plate, only to be popped, so that you can enjoy a marvelous combination of pulled pork, spinach and clams in a light sumptuous broth. My macadamia nut crusted snapper was off the charts, and all my companions equally enjoyed their terrific main courses. The service personnel were wonderful, and a signed and personalized menu was there to greet my friend, on the occasion of his 70th birthday. Bravo to this exquisite culinary giant of a restaurant!

Reviewed 4 August 2017

I ate dinner here recently. The restaurant is slightly overcrowded and noisy. We arrived at 7pm and ordered the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. We were subsequently informed that it was not available. We opted for a couple of dishes and a bottle of wine. The wine list is reasonably extensive and we managed to choose a bottle without much assistance. One of us ordered a cocktail and very shortly after it was served (1 sip), the appetisers were served. After the wine was poured, we asked out of interest if the restaurant had a sommelier - apparently it has 2, but clearly they weren't interested in helping us choose our wine. The food was excellent, mostly very well presented and very tasty. Other general expectations of service were not met - our wine was never poured, napkins were left unfolded after leaving the table etc. Considering the price and the expectation of a large tip, I would have expected much much better service. Won't be going back.

2  Thank sismith17
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Still my favorite restaurant we visit every time in Honolulu. Outstanding menu, food and presentation. Could not help but notice last night the enfaces was on speed Mains arrived not long after the entrees and check was delivered while we were still enjoying our wine. Just took the edge of the personal service that we have always been a custom to and appreciated.