“Best hostel in Waikiki!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Seaside Hawaiian Hostel
Yellowknife, Canada
“Best hostel in Waikiki!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

This is the nicest hostel in Waikiki. Great layout, breezes, courtyard, friendly staff! Have stayed in 3 or 4 different hostels in the area and this one is the best. Others are in stuffy, noisy highrises where you just hear traffic. This one is in smaller buildings with lots of windows and fresh breezes! Location is right in the centre of things, and next to bus stop and near the beach. Big kitchen area and really nice outdoor courtyard!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
Tacoma, Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

We arrived late and although the room we booked wasn't immediately available, the staff worked to get us into our room. The room wasn't anything special but what do you expect in a hostel. The staff and owner took really good care of us. Plus there was Richard shot night, a staff member took out a bottle Of whiskey and poured shots for the entire hostel until the giant bottle was done! Awesome! You just can't make that stuff up!! Met some really cool travelers, a couple from Berlin, a dude from France, and an Indian fellow. Priceless trip and a great stay!

• Stayed May 2011
Kekaha, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

stayed here after major surgery to recuperate...what a great experience...the hostel is clean and all the staff are now on my facebook page! First ever experience at a hostel...can only hope the others are as much fun as this one was...they even do your personal laundry...the bbq...awesome...will def be back and send friends here...mahalo nui loa Richard, Lindsay and all the staff

Room Tip: talk to manager, Richard...he switched our room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deborahbegnoche
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

I have mixed feelings about this hostel. First, the good stuff:
Great location. Very close to bus, motorcycle/scooter rental shop, and only a few blocks from the beach. And if you don't mind a longer walk uphil, Diamond Head is also walking distance, or a short bus ride away otherwise. The Hostel has quite hours after 11 pm (if I remember correctly), but they're not enforced. There's also a ton of restaurants, bars, etc. all over, and partying goes late into the night all around the hostel, so if you have trouble sleeping with loud noises, this might not be a good place for you.
The owner's very nice, but the staff isn't always that great. I guess it depends on the time of your stay, but I encountered a couple of people with attitudes.
You can get free snorkelling gear (minus the flippers) and bodyboards for use. There's free wifi. Cheap surfboard rentals. They also provide a modest breakfast of coffee, tea, toast and jelly. During my stay they also barbecued hot dogs for free for the guests.
Now, for the weird/bad:
If you book a private room, you should be aware that the only way to get into the room is by going through a dormitory. In my case my boyfriend and I had to go through a girl dormroom at the beginning of our stay and a boy dorm at the end, which was a bit weird for all parties. I talked to one of the girls from the dorm and they agreed that the arrangement is weird, and said that my boyfriend scared them because he walked out of the room once while someone was changing. I also walked out of the shower (which is located in the dorm room and shared by private + dorm) once or twice on one of the guys changing. It's really not a big deal if that kind of thing doesn't bother you, but it's good to be aware that your private room is located inside a dorm.

My biggest complaint with this hostel is that I ran into bed bugs. After the first night of staying there I woke up with my right arm covered in big, red, itchy bumps. My boyfriend didn't have anything, so we thought it might be some weird allergic reaction. However, after the next night I woke up with even more red bumps, and my boyfriend woke up with a bunch as well, but his were smaller. That's when we thought it could be bed bugs. We notified the owner that we think there might be a problem and he responded by moving us to a new room, washing our laundry, and taking action to clean our old room. I was very happy with the response, but unfortunately for the rest of the stay we kept waking up with bed bug bites every morning. I know that these were bed bugs because I caught one and googled an image of a bed bug to make sure that's what it is. So even though the owner was very prompt about moving us, and washing our laundry, I'm concerned that both rooms we stayed in had bed bugs. It might be a bigger problem than anyone in the hostel let on. I realize that we could've brought the bed bugs with us to the new room, but judging by the amount of new bites I woke up with every morning, I have a hard time believing that it was the work of 1 or 2 bed bugs. But to be fare, I didn't hear of any other guests complaining of bed bug bites during my stay. I reacted very badly to these bites by developing big, swollen, red, itchy bumps at every bite site, while my boyfriend got tiny red bumps that didn't itch a whole lot. So it's possible that other guests didn't notice their bites, and I did because I reacted to them so badly. But it's also possible that this was a strange isolated incident.
I guess I don't really know what to make of our case, but I figured I'd lay this out for anyone who cares to read it, in case it'll help someone with their decision of where to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank cptbutters
Jasper National Park, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

You should know that we brought home bed bugs with us. I know they work at the problem, but while I had no bites during my stay, I have them now :(

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank barbandjaymes
hikekoolau, Owner at Seaside Hawaiian Hostel, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
At checkout this guest reported no problems whatsoever. More than a week later we received an email with wild claims "more than 70 bites", "Dr. said bedbug bites can take over a week to present themselves" and demanded in their email a full refund for their stay of 4-5 days for 2 people of almost $200.00. I refused. They then contacted the local health department who came out and examined the beds they were using and found no bedbugs and we passed the inspection. Guests check into this hostel from other hostels in the area complaining of bedbugs at the place they are coming from so I know bedbugs are endemic in warm climates. Bedbugs are hitchikers and accompany travelers and their luggage but it is impossible to screen everyone who checks in. We are proactive in locating and destroying potential problems but it seems there are some people ready to exploit this to their advantage by receiving services for free by threatening to damage a hotel or hostels reputation if they don't give in to these threats.