“Nice little area ”

Ranked #4 of 352 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A perfect snorkeling spot.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

After a short video telling you not to touch anything in the water, you go on out to the semi secluded beach area. There were plenty of spots to lay, HOWEVER, we were in the world’s largest cat litter box. There were more than 10 feral cats and I had the pleasure of watching one of them leave a “package” in the sand and cover It up. Beatiful water and lovely creatures.

Write a ReviewReviews (14,860)
All reviews
in 136 reviews
"arrive early"
in 218 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Visited Hanauma bay in October 2017. What a beautiful spot. water is clar, and a very safe snorkeling opportunity. the reality matches or surpasses all the expectations, and advertising.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This was the most incredible snorkelling experience of my life. It was stellar, and it is one of the few things you can do in the Honolulu area that's not hideously expensive, but it is one of the best!
It is easy, walk-out snorkelling on a lovely beach in a state park so it has facilities like bathrooms and fresh water showers to rinse off your salt and sand.
The snorkelling was DIVINE. I love snorkelling, but I am not a terribly strong swimmer, so I am used to boring snorkelling. The surf here is so, so mild, the water is shallow, and your biggest challenge is finding a piece of beach to get into the water without stepping on a bunch of coral.
There was equipment rental (ours came with our tour) and very attentive lifeguards, which is really comforting if you're with kids.
The 1.25/person to ride the tram back up is the best money you will spend all day if you're tired from swimming all day and you have kids with you.
The best advice I have is to leave your wedding rings at home (the fish try to eat them), pay for the tram up if you have tired kids, and BRING WATER. Snorkelling is thirsty work. If you can swim even a little, visit this place. It's worth it.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The Hanaums Bay is beautiful! Is like to point out a few items; parking is $1, entry to the beach is $7.50 per adult, your can walk or pay a $1.50 for a one way tram ride, they close promptly at 6pm and clear the water well before, all visitors must watch a short educational video about protecting the reef. I was with my two 9 year olds who are new to snorkeling so my opinions on the snorkeling sre limited, but we saw a number of fish.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018

My spouse and I stopped by to take a look at Hanauma Bay from various viewing points overlooking the bay and beach from above. As we were not interested in a beach day and/or snorkeling, we did not pay to go down to the beach. There are a number of great viewing areas and we only paid the minimal fee to park the car. There were plenty of parking spots when we were there in March 2018. This place is easy to find using the GPS on your phone.