“Terrible PM Management!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
lihue
“Terrible PM Management!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

All I want to mention is the fact that the PM manager, Les, really lives up to his name "Less". We prepaid through Orbitz and upon arriving to the property attempted to park in their parking area. I could only get to the 1st level of parking. There was no way of getting any higher than that due to the low ceiling of the parking structure. When I let the manager know about the parking situation all the problems started. Les did very little to remedy the issue! At one point Les made me feel like it was my problem because I had a vehicle that was too big and that I should of mentioned that I had a larger vehicle when booking our trip... I just about lost it when I heard that! I really need not get into any more details of the rest.
At this point I did not want to even stay at this POORLY managed property. We went back and forth with all of this for a little over an hour. We ended up being relocated across the street to the WAY BETTER MANAGED Courtyard By Marriott. When checking in over there Mr. Fujimoto took care of us. We explained the situation to him. With no hesitation he apologized(although not his fault) and had room keys in our hands within minutes! Outstanding! Our poor children and my wife could FINALLY rest!
One of the things that really stood out was the fact Mr.Fujimoto is most probably less than half the age of Les... I honestly expected a lot more from Les! I am going to write the GM of the Ohana Waikiki Malia and ask what happened there? Is this how they treat all their prepaid guests? Just how much business is being turned away due to this kind of unacceptable guest treatment? How do they stay in business with this type guest treatment? I mean, clearly upper management at Ohana Waikiki Malia is not aware of this. I am sure the Ohana Waikiki Malia is a great property but with unbecoming guest treatment that my wife and I experienced from Les is really taking away the true meaning of the "Aloha Spirit".

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank richie t
NaomiHonolulu, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies for your negative experience with the OHANA Waikiki Malia on the evening of 3/13/21.

I understand your frustration with our parking lot and the low ceilings. These issues are important and the problem should have been solved. I apologized for the treatment you received upon trying check in and we are working with our PM manager regarding this.

Please know that it is our goal to meet your expectations in both service and accommodations and for you to feel good about recommending our hotels to your friends and family. I am disappointed and very sorry that we failed in this regard.

I appreciate your taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention and giving us an opportunity to improve our service.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Nora Weatherwax

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Ohana Wiakiki Malia. Nice property located within a 10 minute walk to the beach and lots of places to eat nearby. This is not a full service hotel, so don't expect to find room service and valet parking. The hotel is older, but well kept and the staff are very friendly and accomodating. Housekeeping staff were fantastic and did great job, we stayed for 7 days and the room was cleaned promptly each day. We locked ourselves out of the in room safe and the security staff were very prompt in helping us out (but only after checking our ID). Getting to the parkade is tricky and space is limited, so if you're renting a car opt for a compact or midsize car. The hotel recently added a hot tub and a pool, the pool is tiny (if you're the type that wants to sit by the pool all day, you'll be disappointed). If you are looking for a great property at a fair price consider this property.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are the newly renovated rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christiana0564
NaomiHonolulu, General Manager at OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for posting your review! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be friendly and accomodating. I will be sure to let our housekeeping staff know how fantastic they are and that they did a great job.

Our parking lot is small and can be challenging. Thank you for your recommendation.

We are so excited to have our new heated pool and whirlpool spa! Yes, the pool is small but it has been enjoyable hearing the laughter of children as they play in it.

Thank you for your referral for our great property at a fair price.

Sandy, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I booked this hotel based on the description and pictures on the internet. The room I got was not even close, in fact it is one of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in. It was on the 10th floor of the Luana wing, basically it was as if they decided to add 4 additional rooms on the roof. No balcony the sliding door led out onto the roof. The furniture was very poor quality, old and very scuffed up the carpet was stained. The room was extremely ran down and its location made our stay horrible. Also don't stay here if you like to lounge by the pool as part of your vacation, it also is not the least bit inviting

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cindy B
Aloha Cindy,

Thank you for submitting your review to tripadvisor. Please accept our apology for the condition of the rooms on the Luana Wing rooftop. We will be changing out our room carpet in September. We have replaced the beds, tables, chairs and refrigerators in the rooms and hope to also change out the bureaus in September. We added new bed scarves and lamps which have greatly improved the appearance of the rooms.

We are very excited to have a heated pool and whirlpool spa on our property. This was built in September. Our pool is small but it was built using the space that we had. We are also able to offer our sister hotels pools for our guest to use. The OHANA Waikiki East and the OHANA Waikiki West hotel pools are avaiable for the guests of the OHANA Waikiki Malia to use.

I appreciate your taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention and giving us an opportunity to improve our rooms and service.

Mahalo nui loa,
vancouver, bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Have just gotten back from my third time staying at the Ohana Waikiki Malia.
I just love this hotel. You cannot beat the price, location and just general greatness.

The hotel is clean, staff friendly and helpful.

I was a bit concerned as they have added a sports bar and I thought it might be loud or attract a different clientale, but didnt really notice much of a change. 1 night it was a bit loud, but I think that wasnt from the sports bar, just general yahoos on Kuhio.

Tip- make sure you ask for a room on a higher floor as Kuhio can be a bit rowdy and a room in the Malia tower as they have been renovated and are just lovely

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank benihana07
Aloha! Mahalo for posting an outstanding review! We appreciated the time you have taken to comment on our price, location, cleaniness and friendly staff.

Our sports bar has been a great addition to our property. Rivals Sports Bar and UltraLounge was developed by owner Mike "ZO" Kawazoe as an alternative to the standard Waikiki bar. Mike’s vision was to bring some class to Waikiki. By day, The Vegas inspired lounge provides Hawaii’s most unique setting for watching any sporting event. When the sun goes down, Rivals transforms into Waikiki’s premier UltraLounge, serving up handcrafted signature cocktails, domestic and craft beers as well as the state’s most extensive whiskey collection. Always classy and never antiquated, Rivals offers up an atmosphere which lends itself to enjoying time with friends and socializing.

Our renovated rooms are indeed lovely. Inspired by the hues of Hawaii's foliage and florals, all guest rooms in the Malia Tower have been remodeled to evoke the graciousness of Hawaii's past, while incorporating the modern amenities of today. A pattern of tropical leaves cover the plush new Serta beds and rich cherry-toned woods bring warmth to the custom headboards, dressers, and vanity. The custom wood pieces are complemented by granite countertops and textured draperies that add to the welcoming feeling of the rooms.

A seamless flow of indoor-outdoor ambiance continues with a dramatic wall-covering, bamboo-framed vanity mirror and lively shower curtain, adding tropical zest to the overall look of the bathrooms. The spacious accommodations include new 32-inch LCD televisions, complimentary high-speed Internet access, refrigerator, safe and state-of-the-art energy-efficient air conditioning system.

Again, thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We chose this hotel because it offered a good bedding option for our family. Our 2 teenage girls don't like to share a bed and the Malia offers one bedroom suites with a living room that has day beds which convert into 2 single beds. The kitchenette was a bonus. This worked really well for our needs, and we thoroughly enjoyed our 10 day stay.

We found the hotel staff to be really helpful, and all the facilities were good. The location is great with lots of dining and shopping choices nearby. Make sure you try Slice of Waikiki at the hotel. You can get a huge slice of pizza and a drink for a good price, and it is really tasty.

Do beware of the parkade though. It is really tight for an average size car, and the exit ramps are particularly scary.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank RGGinSK
Thank you for your review! We are delighted that we met your family needs. Our one bedroom units consist of either two punees (day beds) in the living room and a queen bed in the bedroom or two twins in the bedroom. We also have units that have a queen sofa bed in the living room and a queen bed in the bedroom. The bedding arrangements work very well for families, or girlfriends traveling together. And yes, out kitchennette are quite the bonus. We are in the process of upgrading our Luana Wing which we hope to complete by the end of November.

We are very appreciative of our employees and how they show the Aloha spirit to all our guests.

Thank you for the comment regarding our new pizza store, A Slice of Waikiki. They do make awesome pizza pies that are truly tasty.

Yes, our parking lot can be challenging with the ramps. We recommend that our guests drive slowly as they exit our lot.

Thank you again for posting your review.